Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#96856 - 09/01/17 11:25 AM Marantz 7703 and beyond
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I know that these have been available through Outlaw's online store for quite some time, and they seem to offer some nice functionality. Any users in the Outlaw ranks?

How about general ideas about the "market space" from this "near to the top of the line" unit that the 770x series offers? It seems the rumors are that there will be a new "flagship" at the top of the Marantz range to replace the 8802a likely with a similar feature set of the 7703 but with more premium build quality, and then maybe a 7704??? I wonder if this is similar to the way that Nikon and Canon seem t introduce a potentially more attractive feature set on their "pro-sumer" cameras and then build a huge bullet proof model for the top of the line camera in alternating fashion. It seems to offer a way to split up some of the software engineering costs over units that sell in greater numbers... That sort of thing is harder to do in the audio space as top of range units are really not used in rougher environments; I suspect the folks that shell out for the priciest units have their gear in "temple like" racks while those of down among the mere mortals have to hope their toddlers don't smear pb&j over the knobs and our teens don't shift all the eq setting to "Risky Business" curves... http://imcedb.com/index.php?title=File:Riskybusiness.png

As more practical matter it makes sense to consider how things like HDR and DolbyVision are becoming the norm for upper range displays and projectors --probably makes sense to consider how many of these things can be adapted via software updates vs having to go with a new architecture. It is sort of maddening to consider a purchase for not just what you need it to do today but also consider the likely ways your other gear will change over the next few years. In a way it makes me wonder how somebody would choose a costly receiver from even a higher quality firm -- though the amps will still be valuable the associated pre-amp / surround processor / video circuitry is destined for obsolescence. Even firms like NAD that have promoted their modular architecture really are not making much sense from a value standpoint -- adding a single two channel Atmos card costs about $700!

Experiences? Thoughts? Recommendation are all welcome!

Edited by renov8r (09/01/17 11:28 AM)

#96914 - 09/24/17 09:14 PM Re: Marantz 7703 and beyond [Re: renov8r]
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
Very good question. I am certainly considering the Marantz AV7703. I wish I wish could provide some educated thoughts on your post but all I can really say is that when it comes to prepros and av receivers, they will have to be replaced more often than speakers and amps.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts