Hello,

I have been using a HK receiver as a pre/pro for many years and I am way behind on current surround formats and processing! I want to upgrade to a dedicated pre/pro like the model 975. I have a simple 5.1 set-up with no plans on going to 7.x.x anytime soon. The 975 has all the connections I need.

However, if I am going to be buying a new piece of equipment my gut tells me I should get a unit that has the latest in surround formats, i.e. Atmos. I may never take advantage of Atmos, but it would be nice to have just in case.

Is the model 975 a step or two behind the times? Is there another dedicated pre/pro out there for under $1k?!? My only other options are to buy another receiver with pre-outs like the Yamaha RX-A860. I wanted to go with a dedicated pre/pro, but my options seem limited.

The Yamaha has a all the new surround formats, plus a bunch of bells and whistles I don't need or want, but the price is right. What are your thoughts? Get the model 975 and miss out on having the most current in surround formats or look at other options under $1k?

I have been waiting to hear about the new pre/pro from Outlaw, but it seems to be nowhere to be seen anytime soon and will it cost under $1.5k?!? Who knows, but waiting is growing old and my old HK receiver is showing sign of giving up the ghost soon!

Thanks in advance!