Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#97934 - 03/23/18 04:33 PM Lip Sync Function
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
We recently added the Sony UBP-X800 player to replace the PS3 for our Blu-ray player. There's actually no problem with the PS3, it was still going strong. We just wanted to be able to play 4k disks on the new 4k TV. smile

Now we have the HDMI video going straight to the TV and the audio only signal going to the 975. Everything seems to be working great with a minor exception. Last night we were watching Thor: Ragnarok and it felt like the lip sync was off ever so slightly. It was hard to be sure, it was so slight but it was mostly noticeable whenever Hella was speaking. My guess is because Cate actually enunciates well.

So first question, if I adjust the delay with the Sync button on the remote, is that a universal delay or does that set it for only that input? The manual doesn't explicitly say one way or the other but it DOES say:

If you find that a particular source, such as a digital TV
tuner, has a consistent lip sync problem, you can preset
the lip sync for that source only through the Input Setup
submenu (see page 31).

This leads me to believe that the Sync button might be a universal delay applied to all inputs?

My second question is a request for suggestions. If you were setting the delay, what movie/scene is good for this? Any recommendations?

#97935 - 03/23/18 09:25 PM Re: Lip Sync Function [Re: Owl's_Warder]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
One issue you may run into is that the processing for 4K video likely takes somewhat longer than older video formats so setting the BDP lip sync for 4k may be different for 1080P. This may be why an on the fly adjustment is included so you can vary it for each source and maybe even the video format. Of course the processing speed of the BDP may be enough to overcome the sync issue altogether but who knows. It may also disappear depending on what you are watching. Outlaw Ben can chime in as to whether it is a universal delay or goes back to zero when you changes sources.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#97957 - 03/26/18 01:22 PM Re: Lip Sync Function [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Ahh... I hadn't considered that there would be a delay in processing the 4k video vs. "just 1080p". We had watched a couple other movies on Blu-ray and I didn't notice it there. Of course one of them was in German with English subtitles so that wouldn't be any help. Maybe I'll move that Sync button to the front page on my remote. Thanks for the suggestion!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts