Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#91822 - 11/26/12 09:36 AM First review of Model 975
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

All,
Early today, Home Theater Review uploaded the first full review of the Model 975. For many, this review will answer a lot of questions including the most importantb one: How does it sound?

You can find the review at the following URL:

http://hometheaterreview.com/outlaw-audio-model-975-71-av-surround-sound-processor-reviewed

Best Regards,

Peter

Edited by PeterT (11/26/12 09:37 AM)

#91824 - 11/26/12 10:55 AM Re: First review of Model 975 [Re: PeterT]
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

1. I'm glad to see that Outlaw scored such a positive review - so soon!

2. The reviewer, as far as I can tell (since I know so little about it) does a very good job of going through the 975's features and omissions in a way that is valuable to potential buyers. I share his opinions on the things he addresses.

3. However I tune out any reviewer who, when talking about simple 2 channel audio performance, feels compelled to lace the review with a plethora of "voodoo" statements about this and that quality of the sound (and in comparison to this and that other unit.) Look, either the unit sounds great because it simply reproduces the signal accurately without adding any audible noise and or distortion, or it doesn't. "Bass, especially acoustic bass, was plucky, punchy and fun, with terrific natural reverberation and body." Gimme a break. It's one of a half dozen or so completely useless and meaningless statements that pepper the review. As a result I'd personally disregard anything the reviewer said about the unit's sound quality and simply assume that the 975 sounds great (which is the least that I would expect anyhow.) And yes, that's just my opinion.

#91825 - 11/26/12 11:16 AM Re: First review of Model 975 [Re: Jeff Mackwood]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
It was a nice review. However based on the statement:

"I will make sure NOBODY gets this before we do.
Peter and Scott are my buddies and our Forum has spoken!!!! "

I might suspect a little bias. Who deosn't want to help their buds out?

I do very much look forward to receiving mine though...

#91826 - 11/26/12 11:25 AM Re: First review of Model 975 [Re: EEman]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I too am a little "weirded out" by anyone that would seriously suggest a $30k pre-pro has a distinctive "sound" -- come on people these things are electronic devices not some had crafted musical instrument with alchemists lacquers...

#91827 - 11/26/12 11:34 AM Re: First review of Model 975 [Re: Jeff Mackwood]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
It is a good review although I agree with Jeff above in regards to the descriptions of the sound. I would expect a further review to include measured parameters vice flowery adjectives directed at making the review overly emotional. I agree also with the reviewers assessment of the 975s feature set although I don't see a need for extra HDMI inputs. Feature creep has bloated the cost of most processors and I am glad to see one that allows the end user the choice of what bells and whistles to include as add ons. Considering the current capabilities of Bluray players, the need for upscaling, decoding and streaming features in a processor is redundant and not cost effective. The 975 is a processor for those that may not have or want a bluray player but do want to watch TV or listen to music in high definition.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#91829 - 11/26/12 12:54 PM Re: First review of Model 975 [Re: XenonMan]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: EEman
It was a nice review. However based on the statement:

"I will make sure NOBODY gets this before we do.
Peter and Scott are my buddies and our Forum has spoken!!!! "

I might suspect a little bias. Who deosn't want to help their buds out?

I do very much look forward to receiving mine though...

EEman

You kind of have to know Jerry to understand that comment. As for Andrew, I have never met him or spoken to him over the phone. Like anything else those opinions are his. Every customer (such as you) has to draw his or her conclusions. (That is why we have the 30 day trial period).

That said, we are, of course, very pleased with the review. While his observations on performance are good for us ,what makes us really happy is his view of processors. He asks some very tough questions that we all face as manufacturers We took a stand with the Model 975 that in many cases it will fit the needs of many of our customers. Obviously each person has to decide if the 975 will fit his or her specific needs. As we all know, there are other products just loaded with features for those that feel that they really need or want them.

On a personal level the 975 will replace my own 990. It's all I need (or want) at this time. But then that is me.

YMMV

Peter

#91830 - 11/26/12 01:32 PM Re: First review of Model 975 [Re: PeterT]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I just want to clarify / reiterate that I respect the reviews posted by HTR -- Andrew does a pretty good job of "calling it like he sees it" and tends to be a very "value oriented" guy -- if something delivers good sound at a great price he'll clearly say so and similarly when something sounds just so-so at any price he'll not hold back.

As I repeatedly said during the long (and ultimately unfruitful) development phase of other Outlaw pre-pros the design decisions that the Outlaw team has made is one that is decidedly against the mainstream tendency to throw every last "frill" into a product regardless of whether those "features" actually work / sound good.

This is not about "helping out one's pals" so much as it is a confirmation that there are folks that legitimately DO NOT WANT to have some Vegas-strip looking piece of equipment that intimidates the bejeezus out of the rest of the family AND sounds like the generic junk from a big box store...

#91832 - 11/26/12 03:49 PM Re: First review of Model 975 [Re: renov8r]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Permit me to clarify. I'm not saying there is a bias. I'm also not saying there isn't. If there is a bias I'm also not saying that it's intentional. I'm honest enough with myself to know that if it says Outlaw on the faceplace I'm predisposed to thinking it's going to be a great product, based on my previous experience.

But as an engineer, I'm always leery of drawing conclusions based on one data sample. I also want to know that the data is unbiased by whatever external factors may exist. I'm not knocking HTR, I'm just trying to stay conservative and understand what they're really saying. I believe a little skepticism at first is healthy. I know this probably sounds a little hypocritical given that I've already plopped down the credit card. I'm struggling with this early adopter thing-not my usual style.

Peter,
I don't expect my mileage to vary much from the benchmark.

Also, interesting insight on the review process: Not only Andrew's thoughts on product performance but also significant thoughts on market trend.

#91842 - 11/26/12 10:09 PM Re: First review of Model 975 [Re: EEman]
ScottH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY, USA
So when do the first 975s ship? I'm looking forward to hearing more users' opinions to go with this positive review.

#91845 - 11/27/12 03:09 PM Re: First review of Model 975 [Re: ScottH]
skiman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Golden. Colorado
From the review:

"Bass frequencies are slow-moving and fatter than their midrange or high-frequency counterparts"

Really?

O.K. I know what he was trying to say (i.e. a sub's low frequency phase can affect it's apparant acoustic distance, etc.), but it's a poor choice of words.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts