Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#92210 - 12/31/12 07:36 PM speaker size and crossover settings.
Vandura25 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Hey all, couple quick questions.

What is actually happening when you select small or large for speaker size?! I had guessed by selecting small it would limit your crossover freq to maybe 80hz or something similar but it looks like either small or large speakers can have their crossover freq set to 40hz.

Following that, what if you don't want your Front L/R speakers to but cut off at 40hz?? I'm not saying many towers will do a whole lot below that but assuming you have something that will go lower, is there no way to have the full range passed through??

Thanks!

Adam

#92211 - 12/31/12 10:10 PM Re: speaker size and crossover settings. [Re: Vandura25]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Typically setting the speaker size to large removes a filter to allow a full range signal to go to the affected speakers. For instance I have Klipsch RF-82 speakers with a response down to 37hz. If I set them to large in my system then they receive full range input. If I set them to small, I have to tell my system where to limit the signal to them. What I typically do is set them to small and cross them over at 40 or 60 HZ. The advantage to that is the below the crossover frequency the LFE signal is sent to the subwoofer which has its own amplifier designed to power those power hungry low frequencies. That saves a lot of power in my amp to supply to the mains which means I can play my system to its full potential without detriment to the sound or challenging the amp or speakers to play outside their designed areas.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#92213 - 01/01/13 01:46 AM Re: speaker size and crossover settings. [Re: Vandura25]
srrndhound Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Vandura25
What is actually happening when you select small or large for speaker size?! I had guessed by selecting small it would limit your crossover freq to maybe 80hz or something similar but it looks like either small or large speakers can have their crossover freq set to 40hz.
Consider any speaker that cannot reproduce bass as well as the subwoofer as Small. When set to Small, the speaker is rolled off below that frequency and the bass is redirected to the sub. When set to Large, the speaker receives a full range signal (regardless of the crossover setting).

Quote:
assuming you have something that will go lower, is there no way to have the full range passed through??
Set to Large.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts