I'd ask Outlaw Audio proper to do it...but there not in the business!
Posted elsewhere a poll about “Whom prefer a laptop Vs desktop” for a toe in the water, and was treated to hilariously neck and neck responses. Many poster had valid and serious negatives to consider - I will NOT enjoy the price per performance value of a laptop Vs a DT, but I became satisfied that for what I desire to achieve I will give it a shot as soon as scheduling allows.

However I haven’t’ got time, and it KILLS me to purchase without exhaustive plodding research.
In a quick peak towards computer sites on the subject of laptops (never owned one) I can see, urghhhhh, it would behoove me to spend some time on this. I would greatly appreciate input (shortcut to lap top icon) type stuff from some names around I recognize and trust. (this is not to guarantee that I will go off half-cocked on a purchase due to time and convenience factors).

Okay right off the bat, I spot an article that mentions the Dell UltraSharp UXGA top of the line on the Insp. 8500 has the finest pixel pitch/bright etc of any. But I can’t find a comprehensive (comparison of models) article to confirm this.

Consider I’ am spoiled rotten by my recent forays into AV. So the first thing I’m looking for ,…is who makes the best display. (Its true- I’m ruined forever) but seriously due to long long hours of eyestrain, - I want the brightest, most contrast finest resolution (largest) available on a laptop.

Secondly what do I need to worry about in reliability in current processors available. I have not looked since last gutting my (self built (or change that to husband built) Athalon Thunderbird 1g CPU (chose this because early Pentium 1 and II just out around that time had ISSUES).

Immediately I ran into (one) if I check all the boxes on build my Dell I have it up to $3,800, And once $6100? (seems ridiculous when I consider the fact that a cagey KNOWELABE consumer can usually do MUCH better by knowing the in/outs of current systems). Years ago spent some time reading the overclockers crowd talk…the guys who really pay attention to what truly (specs aside) bench test ran the fastest and crashed the least. No time now for that currently.

I see an immediate concern with purchasing a laptop with a desktop CPU on board Vs a mobile architecture chip. And a concern for paying attention to things like Gezz, something called Smart something Vs Speed something…….(reduces your CPU processing by half (?) when on battery power). AVOID(?)

What ELSE do I not know….any recommends? Forget what I’ll use it for, I like the biggest baddest fastest (for headroom so to speak) and (most) important stable. If I can’t afford that I’ll go to plan B.

1: Who has the undeniably largest best Laptop display available.
2: Is it matched by architecture you could recommend or should I avoid? (Dell 8500?)
3: Wireless, never done that, will need to come equipped with all capabilities that direction. During this time will not be able to muck with setup will have to hire to get it up and running with my DT and both accessing my DSL line. (Oh dear just realized will this work with the DT running 98 and the new LT XP?)

J, since you mentioned the blurb about Intel just launching its next chip. I assumed you (and others) here might be up on current tech?!