Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#84975 - 10/23/10 12:56 PM DLNA or Squeezebox
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

Hello All

I have been looking at the Squeezebox touch for some time. I am interested in converting my cd’s to a lossless format and listening to digital music in my system. Which seems very convenient compared to shuffling CD’s.
It seems that more devices are supporting the DLNA protocol. Before I invest in a Squeezebox I was curious to any opinions about using the DLNA to accomplish what I want.

Thanks Bob

#84976 - 10/23/10 02:57 PM Re: DLNA or Squeezebox [Re: bobm]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
DLNA is a standard for file sharing, but the device you use to access it is going to be a significant factor. Lots of DLNA-compliant devices exist, each with different capabilities for audio files, image files, and video files. FLAC is probably the logical choice for lossless audio, although there are some other options (lossless WMA, Apple Lossless, WAV, ...).

If you do the Squeezebox, one advantage is that it is fairly turnkey. You have to rip all your CD's, but the rest of the setup is straightforward - use the software they provide, and away you go. This is similar to the AppleTV, which is also locked in to one software package (iTunes) and one hardware platform. The AppleTV can be controlled from an iPhone or iPod Touch, which is good because the AppleTV remote has barely half a dozen or so buttons (far too few to be truly useful, in my opinion).

When using DLNA, you have more choices - and thus more decisions to make. Most of the DLNA servers are Windows apps. Some are free, while others will cost you some money. Features vary, as does performance. You also have to decide on a network player. DLNA devices have been growing steadily more common. There aren't a lot of standalone DLNA clients, but it's part of a lot of TV's, surround receivers, game consoles, and BD players. The OPPO Digital BDP-83 and BDP-80 disc players both offer some DLNA support, but can't support any lossless audio formats (which makes them less than ideal for this sort of application). There are rumors that the BDP-93 will offer more capabilities in this regard (possibly including FLAC), but we won't know for sure if that really happens until the player is received (possibly in November or December).

#84984 - 10/25/10 01:21 AM Re: DLNA or Squeezebox [Re: gonk]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk. Can you you purchase tracks from Itunes in Apple lossless? Bob

#84985 - 10/25/10 10:17 AM Re: DLNA or Squeezebox [Re: bobm]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Not as far as I know. Also, it is worth noting that iTunes does not offer any sort of native support for FLAC - you'd need to settle on ripping your CD's to Apple Lossless, and you'd probably need to find a way to convert FLAC files purchased elsewhere before you could use them with iTunes and an AppleTV.

#84986 - 10/25/10 04:36 PM Re: DLNA or Squeezebox [Re: gonk]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

That is interesting that ITunes does not support the purchase of lossless. I guess it makes some sense with the standard use being Ipod and ear buds, the extra resolution may not be needed.

In any case, seems like SB is hard to beat at this point for my application. Bob

#84990 - 10/25/10 09:25 PM Re: DLNA or Squeezebox [Re: bobm]
edcrash1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairfield, CT (Suburb of NYC)
The lack of any reasonably extensive lossless download libraries is very frustrating to me given that I have a music server (which happens to be an Apple TV). I really don't care about the type of lossless code because converting from one code to another is easy with the right program. But, the lack of an extensive lossless library (such as is available in the MP3 library on ITunes), makes downloading those timeless, standard, favorite, and one-hit-wonder lossless tracks basically impossible. Therefore, unless I am missing something, the only way to get those lossless tracks into a music server system is to purchase the entire CD. Admittedly, this is good for my pocket book, but bad for the artists and my music library because it eliminates my spontaneous single track purchases as I generally avoid purchasing MP3s.

Ed

Edited by edcrash1 (10/25/10 09:31 PM)
Apple TV w/750 gb HD music server
Universal MX-810
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Blue Jeans Cables

#85016 - 10/27/10 03:54 PM Re: DLNA or Squeezebox [Re: edcrash1]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
the industry does better selling you the CD than the MP3.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#86693 - 04/03/11 03:44 PM Re: DLNA or Squeezebox [Re: Jimna]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

I am wondering if there is anything new on the market for DLNA streaming? I have ripped most of my CD collection to Flac on my PC using DBPoweramp. I would like a device which will install in my HT rack and connect to my 950 using coax or optical digital for the PCM stream. The device should be able to decode Flac so I don’t have to transcode at the server. Wireless is not important. The Squeezebox Touch looks good but I bet there are other options now. What about the WD TV live product, although I really don't care about the video portion?

As a side question, I am surprised at the popularity of local video streaming. Music I can understand since tracks are frequently repeated and the time period for each track is short. A movie can last 2 hours and thus does not seem too onerous to place a DVD into the player for movie night.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Bob

#86695 - 04/03/11 06:26 PM Re: DLNA or Squeezebox [Re: bobm]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I stream movies using the Roku box and have gotten rid of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and some other "Movie" channels because they all show the same stuff over and over. The variety on Netflix is pretty good and gets better the more you rate the movies. Of course it doesn't match the bluray experience but its as good as satellite in most cases.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#86700 - 04/03/11 06:53 PM Re: DLNA or Squeezebox [Re: XenonMan]
bobm Offline
Gunslinger

Yes I can see your point for Internet streaming using a service. I do this now for Netflix and it's great. My point above was local streaming, where folks are asking to rip their movies on a central media hub. I guess this would be valuable for home movies.

>The variety on Netflix is pretty good and gets better the more you rate the movies.<
Is that true? Thus the more movies I rate the more that will show up for instant viewing? I did not know this. Bob

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts