Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#88209 - 10/20/11 10:30 AM UHF antenna hook up
geekmoe Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Rafael CA
I would like to know if I can hook up a UHF antenna through my Onkyo TX-SR606 and send it to my sony HDTV. Right now I just have the antenna hooked to the TV and get about 60 channels. Any sort of help would be greatly appeciated, thank's

#88210 - 10/20/11 12:36 PM Re: UHF antenna hook up [Re: geekmoe]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Nope. You'd need an external digital TV tuner which would connect to one of the video sources on the Onkyo. A quick google search didn't show any prepros with a built in digital TV tuners. I wonder why not?

#88214 - 10/20/11 04:49 PM Re: UHF antenna hook up [Re: EEman]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
If your TV has an HDMI output then feed it to your receiver for the audio advantage.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#88220 - 10/21/11 08:10 AM Re: UHF antenna hook up [Re: XenonMan]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: geekmoe
I would like to know if I can hook up a UHF antenna through my Onkyo TX-SR606 and send it to my sony HDTV. Right now I just have the antenna hooked to the TV and get about 60 channels. Any sort of help would be greatly appeciated, thank's

You'll need to keep using the Sony's tuner. 60 channels is pretty good - I'm surprised you get that many. I'd suggest running an optical or coaxial digital output to the Onkyo for audio.

Originally Posted By: EEman
Nope. You'd need an external digital TV tuner which would connect to one of the video sources on the Onkyo. A quick google search didn't show any prepros with a built in digital TV tuners. I wonder why not?

Because all HDTV's are now required to have a tuner. There's no need to duplicate that particular feature.

Originally Posted By: XenonMan
If your TV has an HDMI output then feed it to your receiver for the audio advantage.

I don't recall seeing an HDTV with HDMI output. Optical output is fairly common, though.

#88222 - 10/21/11 10:38 AM Re: UHF antenna hook up [Re: gonk]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: gonk

Because all HDTV's are now required to have a tuner. There's no need to duplicate that particular feature.

Granted. I was just thinking it would be advantageous to keep all the processing in one box. Another advantage, albiet to a smaller market segment, would be to provide over-the-air TV to those with projectors as their primary display.

#88225 - 10/21/11 06:29 PM Re: UHF antenna hook up [Re: gonk]
geekmoe Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Rafael CA
Thank you for your reply, I should have thought of a cable from the HDTV to the Onkyo, I will try that. Thank's

#88228 - 10/22/11 09:19 AM Re: UHF antenna hook up [Re: EEman]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Granted. I was just thinking it would be advantageous to keep all the processing in one box. Another advantage, albiet to a smaller market segment, would be to provide over-the-air TV to those with projectors as their primary display.

An over-the-air tuner isn't really processing. It's just a receiver, same as a cable or satellite box.

#88237 - 10/25/11 09:56 AM Re: UHF antenna hook up [Re: gonk]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Yes. I see it the same as an AM or FM receiver which are built in. In this case you'd need a UHF receiver, a video decoder and an input port to your favorite processor chip.

The decoder is likely to run some dollars then there'll be some NRE to design the board, write the software to deal with the data, etc. It seems doable. Maybe there's just no market...

#88241 - 10/25/11 01:06 PM Re: UHF antenna hook up [Re: EEman]
gonk Offline
Desperado

You also need the interface to control the tuner (number pad, channel up/down, channel info, previous channel, etc.). Minor, but still something that needs to be implemented.

It is all feasible, but it's a cost add for something that a tiny number of people might want to use at all. Cable and satellite owners don't need it. TV owners also don't need it unless the HDTV is fairly old and they haven't already got an OTA tuner. Really the only folks who would need it are people with systems that have a front projector but are relying on over-the-air HD and have not alread bought an OTA tuner. How many people fit that category? Most projector owners already addressed source availability before they got the projector, through either cable service, satellite service, or an over-the-air tuner.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 119 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts