Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#18596 - 08/10/09 04:40 PM CC Dialog Not As Expected
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I have Mirage Omnisat v2 speakers for front L&R and the v2 center channel. They are driven by my 1070 with the source an Oppo BD-83. My speaker placement is compromised as I am working with a TV in an armoire and the L&R speakers mounted on top. They are angled and aimed at the listening area with Axiom Full Metal Brackets. The cc sits on a shelf over the TV. For those of you not familiar with the Omnisat design, here is a statement from Home Theater & Sound "The Omniguide comprises two drivers, a low- and a high-frequency unit, and two specially placed saucers that disperse the sound waves from those drivers over 360 degrees. Unlike typical 360-degree-radiating speakers, though, the drivers and saucers in Mirage’s speaker are angled in such a way so that more energy leaves the front of the speaker than the rear."

I'm wondering if because of this design and the cc being inside the armoire whether I am losing sound and as such am not hearing dialog as clearly as I should. Speakers have been calibrated using an RS analog SPL.

Your thoughts, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

#18597 - 08/18/09 04:44 PM Re: CC Dialog Not As Expected
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Here's an update and some thoughts in trying to answer my own question. I contacted Mirage and unless the speaker was really boxed in then the issue I was having did not have anything to do with where the speaker was located. I adjusted the center width on my 1070 from 4 to 5. I watched 3 movies over the weekend without any issues related to voice. So, it is possible that by increasing the width to include more sound to the l&r that made the difference or I suppose it could have been the movies themself. The audio problems I was having were all on SD DVD's. I'll keep an eye on this and will hopefully be happy with the current settings. Where I was going with my first post was if I find that I am not satisfied in the future, do I have any options in having a mismatched center channel. From what I've read that is generally not a good idea. I can see it now...for wanting better sound from the center channel, I'll end up redorating my den...I'd better be careful...

#18598 - 08/18/09 05:47 PM Re: CC Dialog Not As Expected
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
getting clear dialog is one of the biggest challenges in home theater ingeneral and partiularly whth none-standard speaker placement.
Some source material is more problematic than others. I often have trouble with the dialog on DVDs of british TV shows. I've found 2 things that help on these:
Try DTS processing istead of Dolby. It generally puts less of the sound in the center channel and helps soe with dialog.
I've also tried bumping up the center channel volume by a few DB.This seems to help a little to overcome the british penchant for mixes with overloud background music.
I doubt that either of these will fully solve your problem, but they may help a little.
Redesigning the Den sounds like a lot more fun.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts