Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17846 - 08/09/08 12:27 AM A new URC remote in Gonk's system
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
So back around the time I got my Outlaw speakers, I started thinking about the possible benefits of upgrading our universal remote to one with RF support. Initially I was thinking about trading the MX-700 for an MX-850, but when I started getting serious about looking at it I came across a couple other possibilities. Because of my fondness for URC's remotes (their dubious software download policy notwithstanding), I was planning to stay with them, but that still left two other interesting options available for similar prices: the MX-900 and the MX-810. I spent a couple weeks researching them (including tracking down the software). By memorial day, I had basically settled on the MX-900. Then I fell and broke my leg, and plans got scrambled.

I ended up ordering an MX-900 and MRF-260 about a month later, but it took me almost six weeks to get a review written. I finally finished it one evening earlier this week: here is my MX-900 review for the reading enjoyment of anyone looking for a powerful universal remote.

#17847 - 08/09/08 04:34 AM Re: A new URC remote in Gonk's system
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
Nice review. Do you have any thoughts when comparing the MX remotes to Harmony? I like the Harmony 880 but find that it has its' limitations but it is far better than the Denon remote I have. That I cannot understand - having to use a Universal remote to gain better access to the remote functions.

#17848 - 08/09/08 03:50 PM Re: A new URC remote in Gonk's system
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've not spent much time with the Harmony stuff - some early research into their programming interface left me a little disinterested (prefer the degree of direct control offered by the URC stuff, which is coincidently part of the reason I was not real keen on URC's MX-810).

Remote ergonomics are challenging - similar to designing a really useful user interface or writing a really useful manual. I think that's one reason the companies like URC, Harmony, and UEI do a better job with designing remotes than companies like Denon that develop their own.

#17849 - 08/09/08 04:24 PM Re: A new URC remote in Gonk's system
Gunslinger

In regards to the Universal brand, can you switch "activities" without it turning things off? Presently I use a harmony 880 with the activities buttons, if I switch from say DVD to TV (cable), it will turn the DVD off, pre-pro(or reciever) off and the TV. Is it "smart" enough to realize what is turned on already? As a side note, the 880 does have some major limitations with the 970. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

#17850 - 08/09/08 05:00 PM Re: A new URC remote in Gonk's system
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
nomoneybutgoodsound, I have the much cheaper harmony 659 and you can specify via the software that you want to leave specific units on, or whether you want to automatically start playing the DVD player on power-up, etc.
I am able to use the "Listen to Music" button followed by the "Watch TV" button when I want to listen to music while the TV is playing (i.e. sports events).
I wouldn't be surprised if you could do the same.

#17851 - 08/09/08 05:21 PM Re: A new URC remote in Gonk's system
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I have the Harmony ONE and I don't think I could be happier with it. It does everything that any of the other remotes can and it has a little touch screen that lists the activities we might want to do with it. Very spouse friendly!!! I haven't found something it won't do and I love the ease of reprogramming it when I need to.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#17852 - 08/09/08 10:07 PM Re: A new URC remote in Gonk's system
gonk Offline
Desperado

As for the URC remotes, it is possible to leave the whole system on - they don't have "activities" built in to their software typically. The MX-810 does sort of and the macro capability offered by all of them will allow you to create something like activities, but you aren't steered that way automatically.

Even though I'm a fan of URC's designs, I think that Harmony has a good approach in their more "accessible" programming. I don't know how URC's sales break down between folks like us and custom installers, but I know they design with the installers in mind. The result is a very nice product that is very powerful, but it isn't necessarily as polished as Harmony and (based on what I've heard about Harmony) URC can't match Harmony's customer support - different target market.

#17853 - 08/09/08 11:06 PM Re: A new URC remote in Gonk's system
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I programmed mine in about 30 minutes after I got all the model numbers for the machines. It also let me manually set it up to use my MP3 player through the 990 audio 5. All I have to do is turn the MP3 player on and hit one button on the Harmony and Viola! it works perfect. It sometimes loses it mind but it has a help button that fixes whatever the problem is every time. I think most of the issues are not keeping it directed at the HT for long enough to let it get the signals through. I also programmed it to let me use a utility function to pull up my (() menu on screen without me have to switch the TV input and hit the menu button. It also has a sensor that detects when it is being moved and turns it on so when you grab it, its ready to go. Just for the wifes sake I will always have one of these. I would also imagine that you could program it for multiple HT or stereo setups so you only need on remote for all your equipment.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#17854 - 08/09/08 11:20 PM Re: A new URC remote in Gonk's system
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
I think most of the issues are not keeping it directed at the HT for long enough to let it get the signals through.
This is almost certainly the case - and it's why I decided to change to RF. It makes things easier, particularly for the family, since you can't "miss" the IR sensors.

#17855 - 08/10/08 03:14 AM Re: A new URC remote in Gonk's system
Gunslinger

Perhaps I will try the set up program with the Harmony. For the most part I like it, but with (my) the inability to switch sources I still maintain a few remotes, but I have cut down a lot (5).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts