Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#16971 - 09/03/07 04:12 AM 990 on hold, again, perhaps, advice?
monkeyplasm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tennessee
Hello all,

I could use some advice on where to go from here. Follows is an attempt to apply some logic to my current situation.

My current system:
------------------
Luxman R-115 stereo receiver
Oppo 971 DVD player
Rotel RCD-975 CD player
Linn DMS Main speakers (no surrounds, no center)
Toshiba 65NH84 TV (65" rear projection crt, 1080i, HDMI & component inputs)

Component Status:
-----------------
Luxman: Only Stereo, only 85 watts per channel (not good for demanding Linn speakers), volume crackles left channel (volume pot needs cleaning perhaps)

Oppo: Just under two years old and reads some discs as "no disc" and some as "unknown disc" and some just fine. This occurs for original and backup (burned) DVDs. Very disappointing to have it cost over $100 a year to have a DVD player.

Rotel: Sounds much better than the OPPO on CDs, is starting to give problems, may just need the laser lens cleaned.

Toshiba: This actually works OK (fingers crossed)

Linn: Great Sounding speakers (currently) at low volume only since the Luxman can't supply enough juice. Isobariks provide mucho bass, so maybe no sub needed. However, they are inefficient (mid 80's) and needs lots of amp, like 6x200 when done active right!

Others: Collecting dust in the closet.

WAS going to get:
-----------------
Outlaw 990
Outlaw 7125
Outlaw 2200 (x2)
Rear, Center, Sub speakers as good deals come up.

Plan was to drive the Linns active with four 7125 channels for Mids and highs and the 2200's for bass. Then use the remaining 7125 channels for rear and center channel duties.

What I'm Looking For In A Sound System Today:
---------------------------------------------
(1) play movies from DVD
(2) play music from Computer (through USB nice but not required)
(3) play music from CD
(4) play movies from Computer
(5) cable box, if I ever subscribe again
(17) maybe do video switching

I no longer care about other inputs:
Phono. Love the sound, hate the work involved.
Tape Deck and Reel to Reel.
DVD-A.
SACD.
LaserDisc.
Video Game Consoles.
HD-DVD.
Blu-Ray.
Any other stuff.

A Dilemma:
----------
For sources, it would seem that a PC (most music, a la MP3) and a single optical disc player (CD/DVD/whatever else) would fit the bill. If it also did HD and DIVX and other cool stuff, that would merely be serendipity.

If the optical disc player can do the required sound format decoding and video scaling, then I wouldn't need a fancy-pants pre/pro. I'd just need one that can handle 5 (or more) audio channels and, perhaps, do video switching.

Input and processing requirements being rather minimal, I wonder if the Outlaw 990 is going to be massive overkill. Since all my junk seems to be falling apart simultaneously, I'm basically starting over with just a TV and pair of speakers in the system now.

Now, I COULD just go and blow a PILE of cash, but I'm not convinced it would be $ well spent.
$1000 - Outlaw 990
$1000 - Outlaw 7125
$ 650 - Outlaw 2200 (x2)
$ 250 - Oppo 980/981 (or other disc player)
$1000 - Outlaw Bookshelfs (or others, Magnepans?)
$ 700 - Center Channel
$ ??? - Subwoofer
-------
$4600+

Even if I stay passive on the Linns and let them handle the bass, I'm only saving a on couple of amp channels and maybe an unfactored sub. In fact, the Linns are the only speakers that really need big power: Surrounds and Center Channel at 200 or even 100 wpc? Really? I've got enough hair on my chest that I won't feel inadequate if I don't need big amps for every channel.

So: Amps may be overkill, Pre/Pro may be overkill.

And then surround/center speakers for $1700? Sure, I expect they'll sound great playing music, but as surrounds and center? I'm afraid I'm going to talk myself into a couple 3-way car audio 6x9's dangling from fishing line for surrounds and skip the center and sub altogether.

There's got to be a reasonable solution for significantly less than 4-5 grand! I just can't seem to see it.

Any help, comments, insights, rants, hate mail, threats, quips, and amusing anecdotes are welcome.

P.S. Thanks if you've read this far!!

#16972 - 09/03/07 12:54 PM Re: 990 on hold, again, perhaps, advice?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
First, the amps: bi-amping like you describe might not work out so well, as there are not gain controls on the 7125 or 2200's (which would become a problem when mixing amps to bi-amp). If the Linn's need more power than the 7125 can provide, maybe a pair of 2200's (to drive the Linn's without bi-amping) and a 7075 for other channels would be worthwhile? That would avoid the need to drop a lot of coin for a 7200, 7500, or 7700. Another thought along these lines: do you think that you would ever set up a 7.1 system, or would you only do 5.1? If only 5.1, then you could do either a 7125 with four channels bi-amping the Linn's or just get a 7500. And from your upgrade list, it sounds like you're likely to be going just 5.1.

I don't generally recommend relying on a DVD player as a processor - digital output is best, as the DSP chips used in players don't offer the flexibility of a receiver or surround processor. You can get Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, and even Pro Logic II processing, but bass management is limited to probably an 80Hz crossover, you lose PLIIx, DTS ES, NEO:6, and Dolby EX (except for OPPO's 980H, which does do Dolby EX - but otherwise is the same). Some of these modes are less critical for a 5.1 setup, but relying on a more flexible DSP chip is generally going to pay off.

For your objectives, here are a few thoughts that come to my mind:

- Model 970 or 990 for processor
- Either a 7125, a 7500, or a 7075+2xM2200's for amplification
- OPPO 981HD or check with OPPO about fixing the 971H (may be an economical fix available)
- Ask around to see what other Linn owners have used for center and surrounds. I'm not sure what matches best with them.
- Maybe an LFM-1 Compact if you want some bottom end assistance for the Linn's?
- Depending on where your PC is in relation to everything else, maybe a SqueezeBox or Roku SoundBridge to provide an interface between the PC and the system?

There are some package deals available from Outlaw that could be of interest here. The 970 and 7125 package is $1300, for example, and you can add an LFM-1 Compact to any package for $375. Assume no more than $230 for the disc player (maybe less if you can revive the 971H). If you want an inexpensive interface for using a PC to store music, either a SqueezeBox for $300 or a Roku Labs SoundBridge for $150 (I have an M500 , which is discontinued now) - or just run an optical cable from your sound card if that works and you've got a sound card that has a digital output. Speakers are an unknown, but everything else (including the sub) totals up to between $1900 and $2200.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 142 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts