Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#16816 - 05/22/07 03:33 AM Speaker/Amp choice help!!
Brian Y. Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis, TN
This is a repost from the thread I started in the 990 forum. Would appreciate any feedback you all have...

Thanks Mr. Gonk!! You are the man! That saved me another cable run! Now I just need to figure out the speaker/amp question.
I was originally thinking about the 7125, but the more posts I read the more I am wondering if I should just go with the 7200 or 7700 amp. I am about 50/50 music to movies. I read as one poster suggested of getting the 7125 and test driving it first before just up and spending the money on the 7200/7700. By the way the room is 19x22x11.
As far as the speakers go, I know it is a personal choice and I think I have narrowed it down to three choices. Now I just have to either test drive them or find somewhere to listen to them, which as you know is a challenge around here. I may have to take a trip back home to KC, because I know there are plenty of options for that there!
Options are Paradigm Monitor 11's, Klipsch RF-82's, and Axiom Epic 80's...Any other thoughts on these speaker/amp combo's would be much appreciated! I may repost this in the appropriate forum. Thanks for the help again!!
Outlaw LFM-1EX
Outlaw 7200
Outlaw 997 pre-pro (waiting..)
Panasonic PT-AE3000u projector
Oppo BDP-83 (waiting..)

http://picasaweb.google.com/usmchercpilot/MediaRoomPics#

#16817 - 05/22/07 11:25 AM Re: Speaker/Amp choice help!!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would tend to suggest trying to pin down speaker selection first and let that help determine the amp - after all, if you do go with the Klipsch's their efficiency ratings would make the extra 75W of power from a 7200 or 7700 a bit of a waste, while the Monitor 11's would tend to suggest the 7125 to me (although you could certainly go either way there) and the Axiom M80's have ended up paired with both the 7125 and bigger amps.

With Axiom in the mix now, I'd suggest checking out Axiom's forum to see if you can find someone local who would let you listen to their M80's - the "Hearing Things" portion of their forum includes a list of Axiom owners amenable to in-house demos of their speakers. Also, Axiom's customer service is first-rate and they have a good feel for what their speakers need. They could easily tell you whether more than 125W of power was going to do you any good in a space like yours. There are also a number of Axiom owners around here who could contribute some useful feedback (as well as some Paradigm and Klipsch owners, for that matter).

#16818 - 05/22/07 03:42 PM Re: Speaker/Amp choice help!!
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
I have the 7075 with Axiom 80's. I really like both products but theres a but. While the Axiom 80's have an efficient rating of 95, they sound best when feeding them lots of power. They play well at low volumes but come alive as you increase the volume. My room is also large. The 7075 seems to run out of gas during some of the peaks. The rest of my speakers are 8 ohm while the m80's are 4 ohm. Yet, I feel it needs a little more power. Fortunately I have friend with Axiom 80's as well and we experiment with out set ups (both different) to find the right mix. Using an SPL meter, personal preference and keeping finances in mind, I think I need a minimum of 120 w/channel at least to the mains in order to play my movies/music the way I want. Just my thoughts.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts