Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#16324 - 10/27/06 10:59 PM Speaker Upgrade - Totems - Thiels-?
Hi4head Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lexington, NC
Hi folks,
It's been along time since I've been around and its good to be back.

I'm planning to upgrade front main speakers. I currently run Monitor Audio Silver 5i's with an Outlaw 1050 and a NAD C 540 cd player. My room is around 17x17x9. I use my system primarily for 2-channel jazz, but sometimes my wife and I watch a movie in 5.1.

In order to maintain harmony in my house, I need for the new pair to be relatively similar to the 5i's. (small footprint, not too tall - under 38", and have a beautiful wood finish)

Were I live we don't have a huge selection of shops with higher end equipment for me to be able and go out and hear a lot of different speakers.

I'm looking to get something used for around $1000.

Does anyone have much experience with the Totem line (Hawks and Sttaf), Thiel 1.5, Sililoquy?

Or other suggestions that might work OK with my electronics?

Thanks for the input.

Chris

#16325 - 10/30/06 09:24 AM Re: Speaker Upgrade - Totems - Thiels-?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
For jazz, try Sonus Faber. They make a nice bookshelf called the Concertino that you can find used for around a grand. They have a beautiful wood finish with leather on the front baffle. I've heard them and they really impressed with their imaging capabilities. Most reviews say that their sound is bit relaxed, not too forward.

If you want a more up front sound, the new NHT speakers, I forget the exact model number, look pretty cool. I haven't had a chance to hear them but the usual NHT "sound" is very detailed and upfront.

I've heard good things about the Totem line. I've actually only heard their top of the line speakers with about $10,000 worth of electronics. They're worth a listen if you can find some to demo.

Don't overlook the Onix Ref 1 from av123.com It might be worthwhile to try it out in your home as they do offer a money back trial period.

Hope that helps. Only your ears will tell you what works best for you. Good luck!

#16326 - 10/30/06 06:18 PM Re: Speaker Upgrade - Totems - Thiels-?
Hi4head Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lexington, NC
Thanks for the suggestions. After getting some input from a guy over on Audiogon, I've decided to take a completely different route.

He suggested upgrading the crossover components and the internal wiring. So that's what I'm going to try.

I'll pull out the cheap micropride capacitors and replace them with Musicaps from Hovland. I'm also putting in Kimber wire and changing the amount going to each driver. Since this is a 2-1/2 way, I'll run 3 pieces of 19 gauge to and from the woofer, 2 pieces for the mid-driver, and 1 to the tweeter. The current configuration has only 1 run of ~20 ga to each.

Unfortunately I don't know what the value is of the 3 inductors in the crossover. I've heard that replacing the capacitors and wiring can have a huge improvement on the speaker. Also, I'm going to try and have point to point soldered wire instead of the slide-on clips going to the drivers.

Total cost will be around $115.

I hope that I HEAR a difference.

Cheers! (As I'm typing this, its Happy Hour)

Chris

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts