Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#16128 - 08/10/06 09:54 PM Popping Subwoofer
Houghers Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sacramento
Hi all,

I have a Paradigm PW2200 v.2 subwoofer that I bought a few years back. Its performed admirably but has recently started to reveal a rather annoying trait: a popping sound.

The "pop" occurs when the system is first turned on and occurs occasionally when the movie soundtrack becomes quiet, i.e.~ a lot of dialougue. Once the soundtrack becomes active with music or explosions, etc. the pop disappers.

I know the Paradigm uses a digital class amp and I've contacted Paradigm about this issue - their response was that this behavior is normal for a digital class amp as it operates on an "all or nothing" signal path. No low frequency information? The amp on the sub simply shuts down.

I've tried tweaking the crossover frequency, increasing the output volume, etc. but the pop still exists. In recent weeks its becomes more annoying as it happens more frequently. Its not uncommon to have a successive "pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-OH! There's the signal!" routine now. I'm about to throw it out the window! mad

Obvious solution aside (buying an LFM-1 Plus laugh ), anything you guys can elighten me on that I may be missing? I don't want to have to buy a new sub just yet if I don't have to, so any feedback, similar problems, solutions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always as I have counted on your collective feedback in the past. I look forward to reading your responses.

#16129 - 08/10/06 11:49 PM Re: Popping Subwoofer
stickpony Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yikes, that sounds frustrating. frown

Ok, so it sounds like the popping is due to the sub's amp repeatedly going in and out of standby mode because it's not getting a signal...

Since it used to work fine, I guess the first thing to consider is if anything in your system has changed recently that could be effecting it. New piece of equipment? A 1 year old messing with your remote control?

Assuming the answer to this is "no", have you checked the connection between the sub and your receiver/pre-amp to be sure it hasn't come loose? Maybe swap the cable?

Have you tried lowering the gain on the sub and increasing the subwoofer trim level on your receiver/pre-amp? I've heard other folks suggest this on the forums in response to similiar situations (i.e., sub was going into standby inapropriately).

What's your crossover set at? What if you raised it so the sub would get or have to reproduce a signal more frequently?

#16130 - 08/11/06 08:18 AM Re: Popping Subwoofer
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The sluggish triggering could be resolved by increasing the sub trim at the receiver and turning down the gain on the sub's amp, as stickpony suggests. Here's another possible option just for troubleshooting purposes: set the sub to be on all the time and see if the pop disappears. If it's related to the auto-on sensing, this would eliminate it. If you still get a pop in that case, it'd be time to call Paradigm back.

#16131 - 08/12/06 01:51 PM Re: Popping Subwoofer
Houghers Offline
Gunslinger

Nothing has been upgraded or changed within the last year and a half. My dogs know to stay away from the equipment and my wife and I don't have kids yet, so that's ruled out.

I rechecked the connections to make sure everything is connected properly and there doesn't seem to be any issue.

I will try lowering the gain and increasing the trim. I currently have the sub crossed over at 80 Hz. I'll bump it up to 100 Hz and see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice as always. I know I can count on you guys for great advice!

#16132 - 09/15/06 06:32 PM Re: Popping Subwoofer
Houghers Offline
Gunslinger

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I pulled the trigger on an LFM-1+ and it came today (Thanks for all the help over the phone, Scott!). I did an A/B comparison of the two subs with the prized aquarium thumping from Finding Nemo and I have to say that I am extremely impressed and happy with the Outlaw.

The bass from the LFM is much more controlled and tighter. Its not as audacious as the PW2200, but somehow the tighter bass is much more appealing... less boomy. So, my finicky Paradigm, with its overly-sensative auto-sensing control, gets put to pasture. Problem solved.

Thanks Gonk and Stickpony!

#16133 - 09/15/06 07:53 PM Re: Popping Subwoofer
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Very cool! Also cool to hear the comparison between PW2200 and LFM-1+.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts