Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15833 - 04/19/06 09:12 PM How much power do I need?
puppethead Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Van down by the river
I posted a similar question on the 7125 area, but did not get a big response. I am trying to figure out how much poewr I need in a HT setup.

A few of the dealers I have been visiting (for speaker listening), have said that 125 watts to the rear surrounds is overkill. They have both mentioned using a receiver (one mentioned the NAD T773, and the other a Rotel). By the time I add shipping to the 7125/990 I have been contemplating, I will be close in cost to the NAD.

Would 125 Watts be overkill - The room where the equipment is to be placed is roughly 12 by 12 with a vaulted ceiling. The room is also open to the entry way, dining room and kitchen, so there is a larger footprint than the 12X12 dictates.

I know it also comes down to sound, speakers, and other factors, but do these guys have a valid point - is 125 watts too much for rear surrounds?

#15834 - 04/19/06 09:34 PM Re: How much power do I need?
loopy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central Ma.
Just my two cents, but I have the 990 and 7125, I doen't seem like overkill to me, my room is pretty similar to yours 14x 20 and open to an entryway and dining room, from what I have been told the power is for the dynamics of movies and music.

#15835 - 04/19/06 09:51 PM Re: How much power do I need?
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
puppethead,

I suppose a lot of it depends upon how you intend to use your HT. Do you: play SACD or DVD-A, like the idea of 5 or 7 channel audio; or just like your movies loud? I listen to SACD fairly often and the surrounds can get a workout on certain discs plus I like my movies pretty loud. I like knowing that I won't tap out my amp when the music demands it. IMO 125 watts all around in a 12x12 room would provide for the peak demands at all the speakers when playing movies and for multi-channel music.

Also, (as you can tell by my signature) I like separates. I replaced a Pioneer receiver with the 990 and an ATI 2005 and I'm not looking back. While I'm sure the NAD773 is a fine product, for the same cost you will have a significant amount of flexibility plus a whole lot of features in the 990. Amps don't really wear out but surround formats and other HT features are always evolving. When you want to upgrade in the future (and we all do!) you theoretically minimize your cost because you just replace the pre/pro. Many 950 owners that upgraded to the 990 fall into this category as they are using their original Outlaw amps.

Enjoy the search for your system!

#15836 - 04/20/06 12:13 AM Re: How much power do I need?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Is it "too much"? It's not going to hurt anything, and the separate amp will benefit you on the fronts and center. As AvFan points out, it also gives you greater flexibility for future upgrades - amps last a long time (my Model 750 has been downstream of a Model 1050 receiver, 950 processor, and the 990 that's in the rack currently).

#15837 - 04/20/06 06:46 AM Re: How much power do I need?
puppethead Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the replies. AvFan - I am still building and have not "experienced" SACD or DVD-A (I don't get out that much), so I am not sure when of if I will incorporate those elements into the system.

I am pretty sure I have the speakers narrowed down to 2, so the search is moving to the power. I like the idea of getting separates, but the dealers I have talked to have made decent arguments for a receiver. In a way, if the search and decision process was easy, would it still be as fun?

#15838 - 04/20/06 08:55 AM Re: How much power do I need?
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
One of the advantages of Outlaw is their 30 day return policy. It gives the consumer the opportunity to try an Outlaw product in their home (where it really matters) with the only real cost being the return shipping. Outlaw will promptly return the purchase price after receiving and checking out any returned items. It would be great if the NAD dealer loaned you a 773 to try at the same time you had a 990/7125 so you could compare in your room. Regardless, have fun putting your system together.

#15839 - 04/20/06 12:15 PM Re: How much power do I need?
puppethead Offline
Gunslinger

Unfortunately, the speaker dealer is 120 miles from my house, so it is going to be a bit difficult to get all of the pieces together at the same time. Trying to get the speakers on loan during the week is out of the question, and it would be a lot of shuffling for a weekend.

Then again, it just adds to the experience.

Thanks again for the advice

#15840 - 04/20/06 04:45 PM Re: How much power do I need?
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Puppethead,
I'm kind of curious if the audio store is leaning towards the "what can you do for me now" approach? I’m thinking (from the audio store perspective) that right now, a receiver is an upgrade for you. You should be just fine.
People new to the Home Theater world feel intimidated (cost/too many cables/setup/etc.) going to separates.
I ask this because very few receivers - really- can match the combo of 990/7125. Key word is ‘match’.

Any-way ... it is all up to you. I'm w/ AVfan, Gonk and others who have answered this very question, in a couple of earlier threads.
The answer is if your can go separate – do it. And get the most power you can afford.
Is 125 watts to much power? No. Never. Not.

Another way to look at it…… Where do you want your audio system to be in 5 years?
Personally – I went from a Denon receiver to separates and as stated by AvFan,
Quote:
“I’m not lookin’ back.”
Just my .02 cents.

#15841 - 04/20/06 07:06 PM Re: How much power do I need?
puppethead Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks tmdlp.

My approach at each store has been to focus on speakers, and to not let the dealer lead me toward some cobbled together package. When my budget has entered into the discussion, I have been saying 2k for amplification (knowing the price point for the Outlaw goods).

There are three dealers that I have narrowed things down to. The first one (who is the guy I am most likely to buy speakers from) sells NAD and Parasound. The second dealer has NAD and Rotel. The third sells McIntosh, and a lot of used stuff taken in on trade. Given their product lines, a receiver is the best option as separates are out of my budget.

I have a feeling I'll be pulling the trigger pretty soon, and I think a 990/7125 will be part of it.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts