Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15537 - 12/12/05 06:26 PM Stereo amp or multi channel amp?
desertfox Offline
Gunslinger

Hi everyone, Iam still in the process of building my HT, as of now I have a 5.1 setup driven with a Pio VSX-45 TX, and it is an ok system....but, I own several hundred CD's and I woul really go back to some decent Stereo listening (no stereophile)just love to listen to music. What would anyone recommend to do? Get one 2 channel amp for stereo only, and possible another 3 channel amp for center and rears, or get a 5 channel amp? I would also like to use Pio for now as processor, any thoughts?

thanx

#15538 - 12/12/05 10:26 PM Re: Stereo amp or multi channel amp?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I assume that the Pioneer has preamp outputs (that particular receiver is from the higher end of the product line, as I recall, so I would expect that it does), so one option is a stereo amp or pair of monoblocks for the mains and a three-channel or five-channel amp later for center and surrounds (the five-channel allowing for growth to 7.1). The center and surrounds could stay on the receiver for now if you are satisfied with the results you are already getting from the 45TX.

#15539 - 12/13/05 01:43 PM Re: Stereo amp or multi channel amp?
desertfox Offline
Gunslinger

Hi gonk, allways helpfull thanks for that. Yes the Pio has pre-outs for all seven channels, but here is what I do not completely understand...How will it affect my channel level imputs or better, will I still be able to control the volume for all channels from the reciever? Let say I start with a 2 channel apmp and center and surrounds still driven by the reciever ? How about all pre-outs out to a stereo amp, and later as you sugested to a 3 or 5 channel? Hope you understand what i mean.

thanks

#15540 - 12/13/05 01:50 PM Re: Stereo amp or multi channel amp?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
if i understand 'all pre-outs to a stereo amp',then that will "matrix" all info into front left and right which will probably be less than satisfactory.keep your center and surround on the receiver and use a stereo amp for mains.

no doubt you'll have to recalibrate for movies,but when you wanna tear up some good 2-ch music you'll have the power.

and yes,you will have control of all channels from the pioneer

#15541 - 12/13/05 02:14 PM Re: Stereo amp or multi channel amp?
desertfox Offline
Gunslinger

thanks painttoad, I believe i did not express myself clear enough..here is what i meant, If for now I go with a stereo amp for front L/R and the 2 surrounds and center still driven by the reciever I will have volume controll trough the reciever over all channels correct?...now let's assume that later on I want to add another multi channel (3 or 5)to the system will that then apply too? can I then only turn on the 2 channel amp to play music (stereo) and after that lets say watch a movie witj both amps on (all channels) without recalibration of the speaker...sorry all but kind of hard to put in words.

thanks

#15542 - 12/13/05 06:28 PM Re: Stereo amp or multi channel amp?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

yes.yes.and yes.the ideal situation would be to only use what you need,and shut everything else off.calibration levels will stay,even after shutting amps off,you should be golden!

#15543 - 12/13/05 08:37 PM Re: Stereo amp or multi channel amp?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've been on the road all day, so I just noticed your question. Your receiver's channel calibration controls will allow you to balance different amps as well as adjust for room conditions around each speaker position - you'll want to revisit your channel calibration when you add different amps, but otherwise nothing will change.

#15544 - 12/13/05 10:23 PM Re: Stereo amp or multi channel amp?
desertfox Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks so much guys, that really helped. I had all this questions because i never used separates before but that is the road i want to go.However i will keep the Pio reciever for awhile. Oh, did forget to mention what speaker I am about to buy...PSB's Silveri's front L/R mini monitors fronm the same line as surounds, and probably the C2 center from the Platinum line (now you know why the questions about the amps.) What are you guys thinking about the speaker choice.

thanks

#15545 - 12/13/05 11:31 PM Re: Stereo amp or multi channel amp?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I haven't ever heard the PSB's but I've heard some good things about them before. My main recommendation is to make sure that you have a chance to listen to them with some demo material that you're familiar with - take in an assortment of favorite CD's and spend a good while listening. If you've done this, you know why I recommend it. If you haven't, it really is worth the effort to try to set up such a demo. Any dealer worth your money should accommodate you on it without any hassle.

#15546 - 12/13/05 11:38 PM Re: Stereo amp or multi channel amp?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

yee speaketh thee truth...listen....

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM