Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15227 - 06/12/05 04:57 PM DVD-A queston for newbie...help plz
assid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: TX
Hopefully Gonk or someone who's good at explaination can take the time to answer this question, which I'm sure most of you will find basic, but I'm new to DVD-A....

My Oppo DVD player (I think you have this deck too, Gonk?) has 5.1 analog audio RCA out jacks (6 total...well, actually 8, but two are labeled "mixed"). Of course, it also has digital out jacks, both optical and coax. My question is, if I want to listen to DVD-A and enjoy the multichannel music they offer, why is it I want (at least it seems most posts state as such) to use those 6 RCA outs to the 6 RCA "ins" on my (not in my hands yet) 990? Is this because the digital output from a DVD-A player doesn't have the bandwidth or something? Or, is it because the 990 (and other pre/pros) can't decode DVD-A, and therefore, you must use the DVD deck's onboard decoder and thus use the analog out jacks? Or, is it that the DA converter in a DVD-A / SACD player is better than that inside the 990, so we want the player to decode it, not the 990? I'm confused...
Also, my Oppo doesn't "do" SACD. Not that I own a single DVD-A or SACD (yet), if I were to get a deck that did both DVD-A and SACD, I'd only be able to hook one of those players up to the 990's 5.1 analog RCA input jacks at a time, right? I guess that's obvious...
And one last question: My Oppo DVD player has 6 RCA output jacks for the 5.1 signals --- 2 x front, 2 x surround, 1 x center and 1 x sub, (plus 2 x "mixed" jacks which I assume is only used with an old pre/pro that only does the old DPL, such my current pre/pro Adcom GTP600...and, point of information, those are the only audio-out RCA jacks I'm currently using to listen to a DVD in DPL...my pre/pro doesn't even have digital inputs). Yet, I notice the 990 accomodates a 7.1 analog input, as it has 8 RCA input jacks. I assume then that some DVD-A and SACD decks have 7.1 analog out RCA jacks (8 total) as well? So, if I use my Oppo deck to play a DVD-A disk, would I be "missing" the full soundtrack as I'd only "output" 5.1 as I only have 6 audio-out RCA jacks? Or, would the 990 turn the 5.1 analog input into a 7.1 "sounding" signal (by some magic DSP stuff) and I wouldn't notice the difference?

Thanks in advance.
Rocket RS 850's, 550's, Polk LS 90's
SVS PB-12 Ultra

#15228 - 06/13/05 09:36 AM Re: DVD-A queston for newbie...help plz
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Cable modem was down all day yesterday, so I'm playing a bit of catch-up. We'll knock out one simple one first... The two "mixed" outputs are stereo analog audio that is downmixed from multichannel sources (DVD-A, SACD, Dolby 5.1, DTS) - it is there for older receivers and pre/pros such as your Adcom that lack digital inputs, or for connecting directly to a TV.

DVD-Audio and SACD are both subject so certain copy protection restrictions that other formats (CD, DVD-Video) are not. This means that the manufacturers are limited in how the signal from DVD-Audio and SACD discs can be output. The standard approach is to convert the material to analog inside the player, which requires to you use the 5.1 analog output. There are some exceptions to this - some manufacturers have proprietary encrypted digital connections available (such as Denon's DenonLink, which is available only on their upper-end gear and until recently was only allowed to carry DVD-Audio); both DVD-A and SACD are now allowed to pass over an IEEE-1394 (FireWire or iLink) connection with the proper encryption; and DVD-Audio can be carried by HDMI (SACD should follow in a future iteration of HDMI). All of these exceptions are rare, however, due to the very slow development of an approved digital path for the two formats and the sluggish sales experienced by both formats. If you use the coaxial or optical digital, the player will generate a down-mixed stereo signal (similar to the signal produced for the stereo analog output), negating the benefits of the high resolution audio format.

If you have separate DVD-A and SACD players, you will run into the problem of how to connect both to the single multichannel analog audio input that most receivers and processors offer. There are some multichannel analog audio switching solutions on the market to help with this, but not many.

Why does the 990 offer a 7.1 analog input instead of 5.1? Good question! Currently, there's not anything out there that will generate a 7.1 analog audio output, so you're not likely to need all eight channels. (Some people have been known to use a 7.1 input to feed the surround channels from a DVD-Audio or SACD player to the surround back speakers instead of the side surrounds, but that's a separate issue.) The main reason to include a 7.1 input is future-proofing. At some point in the next year or so, we're going to have two new formats on the market: HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Both will offer Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD audio, and these will be true 7.1 formats. While the specs for how these formats will be output digitally are a bit fuzzy (making it impossible to design a receiver or pre/pro today that can accept a DD+/DTS-HD digital signal), the players are expected to mimic early DVD players by including onboard DD+ and DTS-HD decoders that will output the new audio formats in 7.1 analog. At that point, having a 7.1 analog input will grant you the ability to make full use of the new formats.

#15229 - 06/13/05 11:11 PM Re: DVD-A queston for newbie...help plz
assid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: TX
Thanks Gonk, great explanation. Now I know...
If you ever need a 2000lb laser guided bomb dropped on someone, let me know... wink
Rocket RS 850's, 550's, Polk LS 90's
SVS PB-12 Ultra

#15230 - 06/14/05 12:04 AM Re: DVD-A queston for newbie...help plz
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
wink - cool. Glad I could help.

#15231 - 06/15/05 01:20 PM Re: DVD-A queston for newbie...help plz
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
laugh Assid, I have a short list of targets from the sixties, if you have the time. Like my ninety-five year old aunt says, “Don’t get mad, get even”. cool

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM