Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14551 - 01/06/05 10:08 AM Brown out protection ?
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
I see a lot of mention about surge protection and power filtering but what about brown outs. Where I live brownouts are much more likely then a surge.

I was originaly considering a brickwall or tripplite but now I think a Panamax with under voltage protections may be smarter. But more expensive of course.

Thoughts ?

#14552 - 01/06/05 11:11 AM Re: Brown out protection ?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
As far as I know, the only four solutions are:

A UPS or Power Inverter that will handle the load and provide, possibly with additional filtering or with more expensive internal power inversion, a reasonable approximation of a sine wave.

A power conditioner that not only filters the current, but has circuitry to provide ~120VAC output even if the input varies between 90-150VAC. If the input voltage falls to 95VAC, however, the unit will draw more current so that the total wattage throughput remains relatively constant. Because of this, such a unit that can output 15A might need to be on a 20A circuit, or, if it is on a 15A circuit, the load should draw a maximum of 10-12 amps.

A relay with a monitoring circuit that cuts the power cleanly if the voltage or current goes outside of proper parameters. During off-on-off-on-off-on power situations, the relay should remain off.

This last one is rather ‘exotic’ and expensive by home standards, but we did use this setup for a television production (not the transmitter) facility overseas: a motor-generator. A motor that can handle varying voltages and other irregularities spins a flywheel and a generator. If voltage falls some, the motor draws more current to keep the revolutions per minute correct. If the voltage fails, the flywheel allows things to ‘spin down’ over a few minutes while critical systems are shut down properly. This setup totally isolates the equipment from the outside world, electrically speaking, and anything but a lightning strike directly on the facility is stopped. If someone really needed to change 50Hz power to 60Hz power, or visa-versa, this type of system can do that too.

#14553 - 01/06/05 11:53 AM Re: Brown out protection ?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

At the nuclear research reactor where I worked in the early 80s, we used everything from mechanical flywheel effects (to keep large coolant pumps spinning long enough for backup power to switch over) to huge rooms full of lead-acid batteries, to two (redundant) very large diesel generators, with all of the related converters and inverters needed to keep the whole thing running in case of outside power failure.

Overkill for my home - but surely there's gotta be some high-ender out there that craves THAT level of protection and reliability? smile

Jeff Mackwood

#14554 - 01/06/05 12:09 PM Re: Brown out protection ?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
they make/sell voltage regulators/compensators. i think monster might even make one, though it costs a ton. i think a battery backup would be the cheapest solution (like one for a computer).

#14555 - 01/06/05 12:28 PM Re: Brown out protection ?
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

The Panamax states that it protects against undervoltage but cutting off power under this situation. Shouldn't that do the trick ?

Panamax 5100

Although the nuclear research options sound like fun.

#14556 - 01/06/05 01:53 PM Re: Brown out protection ?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It also includes a 10 second delay before restoring power, which would prevent rapid on-off power cycles during periods of unstable low or high voltage. That should do the trick. My MAX5100 got me through a nasty power failure about a year and a half ago, when the power dipped almost to nothing three or four times in a few seconds before finally going out for good.

#14557 - 01/07/05 11:40 AM Re: Brown out protection ?
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
I tried the diesel generators for awhile, but my wife didn't think they went with the furniture in the living room of our condo. Plus the engine sounds made it hard to hear DD5.1 at reference levels. I went to Tripplite Isobars.

In fact, we just had a series of brown-outs here in my LA neighborhood a couple nights ago. Everything came through fine.

You can pay more for a lot of tricked out, dressed up, overpriced power filters aimed at the consumer market but the two professional audio/video engineers I know both recommend Isobars.

#14558 - 01/07/05 04:58 PM Re: Brown out protection ?
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
All of the UPS systems I have installed would take care of any brown out situations.

#14559 - 01/10/05 09:06 AM Re: Brown out protection ?
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by boblinds:
I tried the diesel generators for awhile, but my wife didn't think they went with the furniture in the living room of our condo. Plus the engine sounds made it hard to hear DD5.1 at reference levels. I went to Tripplite Isobars.

In fact, we just had a series of brown-outs here in my LA neighborhood a couple nights ago. Everything came through fine.

You can pay more for a lot of tricked out, dressed up, overpriced power filters aimed at the consumer market but the two professional audio/video engineers I know both recommend Isobars.
Not to mention the smell of the Diesel fumes in the living room.

How do Tripplite isobar's protect from brown-out ? I thought they only protected from surge.

#14560 - 01/10/05 09:07 AM Re: Brown out protection ?
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Hullguy:
All of the UPS systems I have installed would take care of any brown out situations.
I assumed UPS systems that generate enough juice for audio equipment would be very expensive and take up a great deal of space. Honestly I didn't research it but I only need the equipment protected I don't care about keeping it running in a blackout/brownout.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts