Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14259 - 11/12/04 12:06 AM TV Suggestions
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I will soon be replacing my current RPTV and was looking for the opinions of fellow Outlaws. The current set is a Sony, which I haven't been to crazy about but I just may have gotten a bum unit. Thanks for any input.

#14260 - 11/12/04 12:52 AM Re: TV Suggestions
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I'm in kind of the same boat as you right now trying to wade through all of the information. What I've started doing is going to stores that have the sets displayed (Best Buy, Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics to name a few) and trying to determine the pictures that I like in my price range and then do some research on those units. (Usually at the links below.)

I'm also trying to work some other equipment into the budget, so I'd like to see the 60" models come down a bit before I jump in. I'd like to get an HD-PVR unit (once you have one, how could you live without it?!), so I'm also looking at who I'm going to get my signal from. Currently, I have Dish Network. Not sure if I'll stick with them or switch to something else. (VOOM, Direct TV or Charter Cable.)

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has a 60" +/- DLP/LCD/LCoS unit 'round these parts. (I'm probably not going to go with a CRT based RPTV nor do I have the light control I need for a front projector.)

Here are the TV links to the AVS Forum and the Home Theater Forum .

#14261 - 11/12/04 05:36 PM Re: TV Suggestions
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
Myself, I would look into DLPs from either Samsung or Mitsubishi.

I bought an RPTV right before DLPs came out (about 2 months or so). I wish I would have waited.

I *will* be looking to get a DLP sometime within the next 7 years or so.

#14262 - 11/13/04 01:41 AM Re: TV Suggestions
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
lcos is better than dlp. price is different too though. and samsung is crap!

#14263 - 11/13/04 09:15 AM Re: TV Suggestions
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
I do need to check out lcos as well. I really haven't spent much time considering that technology - but I have heard good things about it.

As far as samsung being crap? Well, to each his own. I have a friend that has a samsung dlp, and I really love the picture (at 720p max). Very nice.

The other thing I like about DLP (which applies to lcos as I understand) is that you won't get burn in, or any geometry problems (that you can get with rptvs).

#14264 - 11/13/04 09:31 AM Re: TV Suggestions
rmeredit Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Parker, Colorado, USA
Howdy.

67 days ago I purchased a Mits 52525 DLP & have enjoyed every day since...

The PQ is amazing & the thing looks sweet sitting on the table I purchased for it. I think it only weighed about 90lbs... I have a OTA (Winegard SquareShooter - amplified) hooked up & have been watching a lot of HD content on it. I looked at a TON of displays before buying this one and haven't found 1 that is as good IMHO. It truely shines w/ HD content.

I picked up a Denon 2910 a couple of days ago - simply amazing using HDMI (720up).

I bought the 525 series for a few reasons... When I bought it - I paid $3600. You can get this same TV for about $3250 now. I was going to get the 725 series but there are only a few physical differences. The anti-glare screen (which is marginally better), the speaker grill on the front is cloth, and the cable guide is more detailed on the 725 - which I won't use anyway.

The only thing I didn't like about the 525 was the silver speaker grill cover. So, I paid $90 & purchased a 725 speaker guard - problem solved.

My only "real" complaint about this tv is the input package. It has plenty of component hookups & 1394 hookups (in/out) - but it only has (1) HDMI connection - NO DVI. I would have preferred (2) HDMI & (2) DVI (I wish).

-rob

#14265 - 11/13/04 10:12 AM Re: TV Suggestions
wrunow Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cape Neddick, Maine
I have a little recent experience with the Samsung DLP's and also the Mitsubishi with the DLP2 chips as I have set up each for my father after a recent purchase. He started with the new Samsung 60" which had a nice picture using the DVI imput from digital cable but seemed to have power supply problems and kept shutting itself off. It was also a little too big for his room. My biggest dissappointment was this is a 2005 model and didn't have a cable card slot. Instead of having the TV repaired (since it was within the first 30 days) I suggested he try the Mitsubishi 50" DLP which also had the cable card outlet for future use. I find this Mitsubishi unit to be heads and shoulders over the Samsung in build and ease of use with a comparable or better picture.
Personally, I currently have a Sony XBR direct view HDTV and am ready to upgrade but it is hard to switch to a larger rptv because the pic is so good on the direct view, am not sure what path to take so I will probably decide after the holidays.

#14266 - 11/17/04 02:23 PM Re: TV Suggestions
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

There have been several posts over on AVS Forum regarding the JVC D-ILA TV's that are out. (Mostly regarding the 52" model) It sounds like JVC is still trying to work some of the bugs out of the system and the TV's that have the later build dates have most of the fixes.

I was seriously considering the 52" prior to finding out about the issues (click HERE to read about them) but now I think I may wait a little bit longer and go with the 61" when it comes down a bit.

Overall, the reviews have been great so this is the direction I'm leaning at the moment....however, that could change when the wind starts blowing another way smile

#14267 - 11/17/04 04:08 PM Re: TV Suggestions
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
The Samsung DLP's are great for the money. I have watched both the Samsung 50" DLP and JVC 52" D-ILA side by side. The JVC had a warmer picture with more depth and no Rainbows. The Samsung seemed to be a sharper picture with more accurate coloring.

Both are great and competitively priced, but I would wait another year for 2 reasons.

1: TI is about to release their HD3+ chip with 1080P and Samsung has already planned for their next generation of DLP'S to use this chip.

2: JVC's next generation of D-ILA's will have addressed the color temp and fan noise issues that have plagued their first generation.

As for Mitsubishi DLP and Sony LCD rearprojection monitors, they are both great widescreen sets, but they are not $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 better than the Samsung or JVC.

On that note, isn't that why we all own Outlaw Equipment??? cool wink cool

#14268 - 11/17/04 06:54 PM Re: TV Suggestions
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

...and in another year, the HD4+ chips will be about ready to debut that have fixed the issues with the HD3+ chip and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry. Just lost my mind for a moment....

As soon as this generation's 60-ish inch units get to around $3200, (The JVC is at $3875 utilizing the power buy from AVS Forum right now with free shipping.) I'm jumping in feet first. I just can't wait anymore dammit!! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts