Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#14447 - 12/21/04 01:00 AM TV Shielding
SuperFi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Grass Valley, CA
I recently moved and I am forced to put my Paradigm monitor 9's close to my television and the closest speaker will cause picture distortion when placed where it needs to be. I called the local TV repair shop and they suggested I go over to Radioshack but the sales guy was clueless. Can anyone help me find what I need? I'm picturing some type of lead sheeting I can use on the inside of my entertainment center. Please help. Thanks-

Happy Holidays!

#14448 - 12/21/04 02:27 PM Re: TV Shielding
analogmusic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Helen, GA
A Tannoy pro monitor was purchased for use as my center channel. It is too heavy to sit on top of my RPTV, so it sits out front. I expected to have the same problem that you describe. A search on the internet and several forums gave the following suggestions:
1 Use a product called MagnaShield. Paradigm uses this to shield their speakers. I could find no source for this product.
2 Cut panel(s) from 12 gauge mild steel, and place between TV and speaker.
I was lucky that my center speaker did not distort the video. I have not tried either method.
Outlaw 950, M200's, LFE-1; Tannoy Westminster (2), GRF Memory (2), System 12 DMT II; Hitachi Ultravision RPTV; Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD; Pioneer DV-6600A; Bix TT w/ Blue Note Tonearm; Dual 1246 TT; Seduction Tube Phono mm Stage

#14449 - 12/21/04 03:26 PM Re: TV Shielding
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Here's a link that might help you a bit - it offers either metal shields (steel, iron, or some lighter weight alloys) or magnets that can be added to the speaker. I would lean toward the steel or alloy shields rather than mess with additional magnets at the speaker. I wouldn't try compensating magnets unless I had the manufacturer's input on it. You don't need lead (which your back will appreciate), but analogmusic's idea of a double layer of 12ga steel sounds like a good approach if you can track some down. There's also this idea of putting a lightweight steel cylindrical shield around the body of the speaker driver inside the speaker to provide shielding. For that matter, you might ask your local Paradigm dealer what Paradigm suggests.

#14450 - 12/21/04 05:04 PM Re: TV Shielding
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
if you need to track down sheet metal,your local body shop supplier should be able to order you some(at a price of course),
let me know how this work as i get a bit of discoloration sometimes from my amp which, corner to corner is 30" away

Who's Online
0 registered (), 94 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts