Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13849 - 10/07/04 11:35 AM Panamax Products
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS
Fellow Outlaws,

I'm currently looking for a surge proctection, line filter, and I noticed that a few of you use Panamax products. I was looking at there MAX5300. Do any of you have this product, and if so, do you like it?

Gonk, I noticed that you use the MAX5100. I went to the Panamax web site and there isn't a dealer near me, so it says to use one of their certified internet dealers. There is a warning that if you don't, the protection warranty is void. Of course, the dealers they certify only sell the product at MSRP. THere are sites that sell if for $100-$150 less, but aren't recommended by Panamax. Where did you get yours (internet or via a local dealer)? How do you like it?

Thanks all!

Incog

#13850 - 10/07/04 01:36 PM Re: Panamax Products
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I got mine online, as I don't know of a local dealer (there may be one, but I never tried real hard to find them). I was bad and bought it from a non-certified dealer. It works well and got me through some weird electrical flutterings at the beginning of a bad power outage last year, but the warranty isn't likely to be honored in my case.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#13851 - 10/07/04 01:57 PM Re: Panamax Products
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the reply Gonk.

I guess I would rather do what you did, and save the extra money...and then just hope on the odd chance that a bold of lightening hits my house, that all of my equipment is covered under the home owners policy.

Just out of curiousity, if there anything that you don't like about your Panamax product? Any flaws that you have found in it since you have owned it?

Thanks again Bud!

Incog

#13852 - 10/07/04 05:29 PM Re: Panamax Products
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've actually not had any trouble with the MAX5100 - it's been a good purchase. The only reason I might not buy one again is that it uses the most typical method of surge protection (MOV's). There are a few competitors (with BrickWall being the one that I know of) that don't use MOV's, which means that the process of actually stopping a surge will not degrade the capability of the unit. There's an 8-outlet audio surge protector from BrickWall that sells online for $250.

------------------

#13853 - 10/07/04 07:41 PM Re: Panamax Products
jeffdavis Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Columbia, SC
Incognito,

I've had a 5300 in my system for several months and have had no issues with it. I purchased it off of a retailer on eBay. I cannot remember whether or not this guy was authorized. One of the things that they say in the warranty is that any equipment that connects into your system must connected into the Panamax, or this voids the warranty. This would include every item in your system, pre/pro, amps, DVD, CD, TV, subwoofer, and on and on. I do have everything but my subwoofer plugged into the 5300, including my 770, except my subwoofer, which is plugged into a 2-plug Panamax wall unit. Thankfully I've not had any problems that have truly tested the 5300.

I believe, if I'm remembering correctly, that soundhound recommends the Triplite equipment based upon it's dependability and cost. If I've mistated this soundhound, please correct me.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jeffdavis (edited October 07, 2004).]
LR: ARC Reference 1 | Emotiva XPR-2 | Music Hall MMF2.2 | Oppo BDP-83SE | Polk XRt12 XM Receiver | Emotiva XDA-1 DAC | Sony HAP-S1 (digital audio player) | Sansui TU-217 Tuner | Magnepan 3.6R w/Mye-Stands | SVS SB-16 sub | BA VR-M90s | Audio Quest 72db speaker cable
Office: Drobo 5N running as PLEX media server
Closet: too many pieces to put all into place, I need more rooms smile

#13854 - 10/08/04 10:22 AM Re: Panamax Products
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Hey guys....

Ok...I have to admit...I am looking for a line conditioner that looks cool too. That was primarily why I was looking at the Monster Line Conditioners (that have all of the volt and amp meters on them). I thought the Paramax looked pretty cool too. I wasn't looking for a line conditioner that sat behind the TV like a cheap surge protector. Sad, I know.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. That is the one thing that I still think I need for my system. I'm decked out in Outlaw equipment right now. Happily I might add.

Thanks again guys!

#13855 - 10/08/04 07:15 PM Re: Panamax Products
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
I ordered a M5510 from etronics.com and should get it Monday next week, it was $719 shipped and no tax, compared to $1299 retail. I have ordered from etronics before and find them very reputable.

I don't care about the MOV versus series, first, I live in Calif and second, I have very good home insurance coverage which I would use first.

I like the size and look of the Panamax unit and I am currently selling the Powarvar ABC1200-11 I was using on ebay. I tricked this unit out with dynamat and painted black, but ultimately, the 12 amps does not provide enough just for the 770 and TV when I crank it. I don't crank it often, but the TV tube would dim when the bass was hitting too hard.

I really didn't need to sell the Powervar, but I figured I was selling some other things on ebay and with the income I would get, I settled on a better power conditioner.

I like the M5510 because it has a combination of plugs that make sense for my current audio set up and when I saw the price being $600-$700, I figured it is the best bang for the buck with combo of features in its class.

Monday will tell how good it is after I hook it up. Etronics has a fairly easy return policy too, so my risks are minimal to try it out. The same unit is going for $1299 at Best Buy/Magnolia.

#13856 - 10/11/04 08:55 AM Re: Panamax Products
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Gonk,

The Panamax 5100 that you have, is it also a voltage stabilizer, or is it just a surge protector/noise conditioner?

Thanks again!

Incog

#13857 - 10/11/04 09:46 PM Re: Panamax Products
gonk Offline
Desperado

It's surge protection and noise. It will shut down under extreme over-voltage or under-voltage conditions.

------------------

#13858 - 10/13/04 02:01 AM Re: Panamax Products
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
I got my Panamax M5510 in and hooked up and am pleased. The unit looks great and works. The filtering is as promised, getting up close to my speakers with the DVD paused and volume cranked and I can tell the noise floor has dropped on the hiss and faint 60hz hum. The TV also appears to be more clear than before.

The main reason I got it is because the Powervar at 12amps was not enough when cranking the system with the 770, but not an issue with the Panamax. No TV screen dimming anymore when I turn it up on some heavy bass laden DVD Audio music.

The meters are cool too, just to watch. My voltage sits still at 120V and with the system at idle, the current is at 5amps and will pop to only about 6-7 amps during heavy passages. When powering on the 770 or the TV (tube) the current meter will spike to 15 and settle down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users