Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#13648 - 09/02/04 10:49 PM SuperSpikes
arica9 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bethel, CT, USA
I don't know why I haven't mentioned my use of these here but it is only as of today with the addition of a new Def Tech SuperCubeI that made me think to share.

I use three Def Tech C/L/R 2300's across the front due to a whole wall of built-in cabinets. In case you don't know this speaker, they are primarily center channel speakers that can also be used as a vertical front speaker. Provides terrific matching and each of them have a 8" powered sub in them.

Because they sit on variuos shelves in the cabinet I needed to find some way to isolate them from vibrating the heck out of the whole wall which contains all sorts of other stuff besides audio/video.
Hence the use of SuperSpikes.

And today I added them to the new sub.
What an instant difference in the soundstage, the responsiveness and the tightening of the lows. Went way byond my expectations.
If you have never heard of them, here's a link to the US distributor.

http://www.taylorsales.com/SuperSpikes.htm

All I can say is they work particularly well as far as isolation is concerned. Frankly I can't get too crazy (well I can but...) about all the claims to use them under every piece of equipment. I just find they do what they say when it comes to speakers. They are especially useful since they are a "contained" spike. (look at the site for explaination) so work great on every surface.
Never heard them mentioned here but then again maybe I just missed it.

Finally, what a difference adding the sub to my system has made. I went with Def Tech rather then Outlaw only based on cabinet size. Would have loved not spending twice as much but that's the way the space dictated. I resisted for a long time and now the system sounds like I always thought it should.

#13649 - 09/03/04 12:20 AM Re: SuperSpikes
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
neat design, some of them are pricey... ill stick with little rubber feet, cost me about $1. some were free too!

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#13650 - 09/03/04 01:46 PM Re: SuperSpikes
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
Although somewhat more expensive than rubber feet, Auralex Acoustics also has a line of isolation products. I use the MoPads: http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp for my center channel speaker that sits on top of my television. I noticed a difference immediately.

I think they were $25 for a pair of them (4 pieces total) and I split them with a friend and he uses them for his center channel as well.

[This message has been edited by kugumby (edited September 03, 2004).]

#13651 - 09/04/04 04:00 AM Re: SuperSpikes
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#13652 - 09/10/04 01:56 PM Re: SuperSpikes
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I just got a kick out of the way the sound coming from the Center channel cleaned up from using the Mopad. My center happens to sit on top of my TV. (An 9 year old 50" Hitachi Ultravision that will soon be replaced by an as yet selected HD monitor) I didn't ever notice the sound being a problem, until I put the Mopads under it. It took any sound vibration that was going into the cabinet and removed it for a much cleaner sound. Another bonus was that since the Mopads are angled slightly, the center now points more to the listening position than it did before. (If you don't want it angled down, they come with some extra pieces that will flatten it out or even make it tilt up.)

My friend said he didn't notice it as much because his was sitting on a solid oak cabinet.

Just some FYI.

[This message has been edited by kugumby (edited September 10, 2004).]

#13653 - 09/10/04 09:02 PM Re: SuperSpikes
arica9 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bethel, CT, USA
I couldn't agree more with the comments here. Of all the (IMO) "snake oil" products out there connected to audio improvement, some sort of isolation is really a simple, sensible sound improvement. It's not just made a very audible difference for me with my front three but also cleaned up my sub's response as well. It just took away all the boomy-ness and now I just hear tight clean LFE response. Don't get me wrong, the thing still shakes the house when called for. But I especially notice it in it's musical respose.

Nice to hear that others have noticed a real change too.
I got onto the SuperSpikes because I really liked their appearance under my in-cabinet speakers. They look like simple round feet (I used the self adhesive ones for my L/R fronts) My center has 1/4" threaded feet that allow for tilt so there I used the threaded version.
There are things sitting inside the same cabinet on glass shelves and they don't rattle. And remember my front three all have 8" powered subs in them.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM