Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#12320 - 01/09/04 11:03 AM Julian Hirsch
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Somewhere in one of these threads months ago there was a discussion about what "hi-fi" magazines we liked. I can't find it so I thought I would post this here.
Julian Hirsch passed away on November 24, 2003. Do any of you remember him from years of reporting at "Stereo Review?" It was those years of reading his test reports that got me so deeply into this hobby. He was just like an Outlaw, wanted simple meaningful and objective facts about hi-fi equipment. He was against "gimmicks or fads that add to the consumer's cost without a corresponding improvement in the quality of sound. Exaggerated or unfounded claims. The sacrifice of reliability or other desirable characteristics to achieve merchandising advantage ..."-Sound & Vision Magazine. This sounds like the definition of an Outlaw. And just like other Outlaws, he was despised and criticized by others in the field. I own my Outlaw equipment partially due to the knowledge I learned over the years reading Julian's test reports and column. I missed him when he retired from the magazine, but now I feel a part of me is gone with his passing.

#12321 - 01/09/04 01:05 PM Re: Julian Hirsch
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
I remember reading Stereo Review when I was in high school. I especially enjoyed Julian Hirsch's test measurements of the reviewed equipment. My interest in audio equipment, no doubt inspired by Julian Hirsch's test reports, led to my career as an electronics engineer, alas, not in the audio industry.

I'm certain that he inspired many others besides myself. He was an inspiration.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#12322 - 01/09/04 04:14 PM Re: Julian Hirsch
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

I also remember reading his product tests in Stereo Review.
I bought a pair of Pinnacle bookshelf speakers because of his ravings about them (and have them to this day since they still sound great).
Of course his "raving" would be anybody else's objective observations, since he was so rigidly matter-of-fact about all of his testing.
All of his product reviews I remember reading seemed so trustworthy to me because his integrity shone through his column. Unlike some of reviews I read nowadays, I never got the impression he had an agenda, other than giving his expert opinion about audio equipment.

#12323 - 01/10/04 10:47 AM Re: Julian Hirsch
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

I agree heartily with everyone in regards to everything said so far. It was a loss to readers of Stereo Review when Julian Hirsch retired. It was a loss to an industry at news of his passing. May he rest in peace.

Wayne

#12324 - 01/10/04 06:05 PM Re: Julian Hirsch
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
I began buying NAD products because of his review of the PE-7140. He loved the power NAD put out, and said that their tuners were among the most sensitive he has ever tested. Everything that he raved about ended up serving me for many, many years. It is no wonder I followed Peter Tribeman and continue to buy products he is associated with.

#12325 - 01/11/04 07:30 PM Re: Julian Hirsch
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
I purchased my Klipsch Legend KLF 20s back in 1998 due to a Julian Hirsch review in Stereo review. I still have the article; it is something I plan to keep as he was the best at testing equipment and providing good information that could be turned into purchasing decisions.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts