Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#11951 - 10/11/03 07:48 PM Video Display for Outlaw 950
TCIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Torrance, CA, USA
Hi all
I am sure that many of you Outlaws out there have seen the LCD display in the new Rotel RSP-1098 Preamp/Surround Processor and wished that Outlaw could come out with a pre/pro with the same feature. Well I am here to tell you that you can have your cake and eat it too! I recently added a Digital Worldwide (www.digitalww.com) 7inch diagonal, 16:9 TFT LCD display to my Outlaw 950. No, I did not revamp the front panel display. What I did is purchase the Digital Worldwide Model TM-701L that is in a spring loaded DIN chassis and mounted it in a two unit rack panel above the 950. The 701L features 800 X 480 pixel resolution and two, yes two, video inputs. I have attached one of the inputs to the composite video monitor out of the 950 and the other input to the composite output of my Sony DVD player. Now you know why I chose a 16:9 format screen. The complete 950 menu shows up on the LCD screen at one time so now I do not have to fire up the rear projector when I want to make adjustments to the 950. Also, I can preview DVDs before turning on the big screen. Unfortunately the 701L is a little pricy. I paid $245 with free shipping for the spring loaded (non-motorized) DIN chassis unit which is really cool because no one knows its there until I pop it out. A free standing unit can be purchased for $200 with free shipping. Many of the automotive TFT LCD displays like the 701L do not display 480 lines of vertical resolution. Most of them display 240 vertical lines and can cost about twice as much. Now you know what you can tell the wife you want for Christmas and be right up there with the Rotel crowd, almost!
Enjoy,
TCIII

------------------
If you are going to send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.

#11952 - 10/11/03 10:55 PM Re: Video Display for Outlaw 950
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
You need to get us a picture

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#11953 - 10/17/03 02:22 PM Re: Video Display for Outlaw 950
scooter Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Everett, WA
What did you plug the 701L black lead into for power? The 950's DC trigger?
Outlaw 990
Outlaw 770
HTPC/Movie Server (21 TB)
OPPO BDP-83
Toshiba HD-D2KU
Velodyne SMS-1
SVS PB2+
Aperion Intimus 6T tower (x2)
Aperion Intimus 6C center
Aperion 522D-LR (x4)
Monster HTS5000MKII
Monster MP-SW200 (x2)
Harmony ONE

#11954 - 10/23/03 04:15 PM Re: Video Display for Outlaw 950
TCIII Offline
Gunslinger

Hi scooter,
I am powering the 701L with a 12vdc switcher that is on all the time. The 701L standby current is 20ma. The 701L has a power switch on the front and an IR remote control that I can use to turn it on when I need it.
Regards,
TCIII

#11955 - 11/01/03 11:00 AM Re: Video Display for Outlaw 950
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
What a clever little hack! :-)

Serious question though: what motivated you to do this? Is there something to be gained by having such a screen? I know a lot of manufacturers, notably Mark Levinson, do this. Can you explain the thought process to me?

Thanks,

Jeff

#11956 - 11/01/03 02:14 PM Re: Video Display for Outlaw 950
TCIII Offline
Gunslinger

Hi D'Arbignal,

I had three reasons for adding the widescreen video display:
1) I am a systems engineer and it was a fun project to research,install, and feel good about the fact that it is an inexpensive upgrade.
2) It allows me to see all the items in a particular 950 menu without having to turn on my big screen monitor.
3) I can preview new DVDs without having to turn on the big screen monitor.
By choosing the manual pop-out chassis, it stores out of the way very cleanly. I mounted the DIN chassis in a 2U flanged rack panel that also provides a housing for the 12vdc switching power supply that powers the display. If you do decide to go with the 701, I recommend removing the positive 12vdc lead inline choke if you are going to use a switching power supply as it will buck the output of the switcher when you turn off the display.
Regards,
TCIII

------------------
If you are going to send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.

#11957 - 11/02/03 12:06 AM Re: Video Display for Outlaw 950
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

A new 13" Sharp TV that cost me the equivalent of $85US at CostCo let's me avoid turning on the HDTV, plus I don't have to fire up the amps as well since it has its own sound capability. I can look at any source, monitor one source while watching another, cue up VCR's etc. to tape, all while saving wear and tear on the more valuable components. I can also move it to other rooms in the house in a flash if need be.

Of course it has a "coolness factor" of zero - or less, takes up more space in my racks than a small LCD would, and offered no challenge to incorporate into the existing system.

I'm jealous.

Jeff Mackwood

#11958 - 11/02/03 01:39 AM Re: Video Display for Outlaw 950
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
Picutes... definately need to put up some pictures!

Mike

#11959 - 11/03/03 09:33 AM Re: Video Display for Outlaw 950
TCIII Offline
Gunslinger

Hi all
Was out of town over the weekend, but will definitely get some pictures up this coming weekend.
Regards,
TCIII

------------------

#11960 - 12/08/03 09:07 AM Re: Video Display for Outlaw 950
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
You could also add an additional input for a closed-circuit camera to the display. Maybe use it to check who is ringing your front door bell without getting up from your seat?
Use X-10 and control it with your remote.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 119 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts