Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#11060 - 02/18/03 01:03 PM valves (ie,300B,W.E.)
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
this is kind of a thread from a previous post that got long winded with a lot of topics. (i think i started that). course it was soundhound again that got me started back up on this (it's ur fault...how'd u get out of mexico? and where's my tequila,SLL?)
anyway, yeh, the 300B! tubes! valves! question: what electronic amplifying device can one name made today that one would pick as a device that could be bought 50,60, or even 70 years from now? could you pick a specific transister or op-amp device and hope it could live that long (ie: still in manufacture) probably not, i'd venture. The 6L6 was in production over 70 years ago...and they are still crankin' 'em out!
the military (SH), when i wuz in (67-71), were still using tubed equipment. our video amplifiers for the Apollo mission (video distribution from the 'long lens tracker' to the W.Von Braun lab, and various other places) were 'RCA 45' wideband video amps. things were absolutely flat up to and past 7 meg. we set em up pre-flight and once into 'red-frames' they were not touched again from about 3 days before blast off till final splash down. MW transmission back to cape was of course tube as it still it...teeny tiny klystrons...probably upgraded now...but still either klystron or TWT tube amps. nowadays in sat transmissions there are transistor amps for this porpoise but they just don't swim as well and i know of no one who uses them without at least keeping a TWT on hand.
the 300B...ahhh, how sweet the sound. SH, i worked also for 4 years at WEco. they hadn't yet cranked the factory back up but the legend was always in the air...that we at one time made the best darn tube on the face of the earth. a few years ago after reading of its comeback..after a few ups and downs...i think i got a lump in me throat when i at last saw the new one come to life and glow! didn't even need to hear music from it's output..heard something different entirely that day!
So charlie, if u like the diy...you can pick up many tube amp diy's these days. i have an old re-built scott that uses 6550's and is 30clean watts per ch....sounds wonderful on my lil LS3a's in the bedroom. you can find these things at e-bay and electronic sites and get em for next to nothing. i also downloaded the schematics from somewhere for free...many other vavle amps for diy are available...even and esp. the 300B...warning,as SH can attest, the 300 is mucho expensive and outputs 3 to 5 watts...must have lothar's or big big klip's or others with ultra hi sensitivities. but the sound that do come out is just awesome!
ok, when is outlaw gonna tack some into a mono block?

------------------
t higg

[This message has been edited by thigg (edited February 22, 2003).]

#11061 - 02/18/03 01:57 PM Re: valves (ie,300B,W.E.)
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Well, when me and mule Josie were on the way to TJ, all I needed was some back issues of Stereophile and my stock of TOOBS! The Russian company Svetlana just released a reasonably priced 300B - but you're right, a newly minted Western Electric 300B is pushing $700.00 !!! But they do last almost forever, so i'm told. I have a good stock of "jan" military tubes like 6v6 etc.

It seems that a lot of the common electronic parts that you could purchase even 10 years ago are no longer made. Have you tried to buy a polystryene capacitor lately?? Sorry, no longer made.

One thing that I miss from the current audio/HT scene is the "do it yourself" spirit. I bet you've built your share of Heathkits. That used to be common, but now most equipment is barely repairable, if at all. That's too bad, since a lot of the enjoyment of the hobby is the building aspect, and the accomplishment that comes from that. Oh well....

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#11062 - 02/18/03 02:39 PM Re: valves (ie,300B,W.E.)
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
You should check out AudioAsylum. Tube DIY is alive and kicking. I recently built a 12AU7 based preamp kit from Bottlehead. It is sweet.

This is the wrong forum to talk about tubes. After all, Outlaw is all about lower cost solid state HT, not tube based stereo.

#11063 - 02/18/03 04:25 PM Re: valves (ie,300B,W.E.)
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

This is the wrong forum to talk about tubes. After all, Outlaw is all about lower cost solid state HT, not tube based stereo. (zacster)
sorry zac...but also this is an outlaw to outlaw BB...and heck, we keep it up and who knows...outlaw might just put in a tube output stage after the 'a' in dac.
gottta go for now folkssssssssss. cnn just blew the 430 whistle. where's my lunch bucket?

#11064 - 02/18/03 05:05 PM Re: valves (ie,300B,W.E.)
soundhound Offline
Desperado

ANYPLACE is the right place for tubes

#11065 - 02/19/03 12:32 AM Re: valves (ie,300B,W.E.)
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

stop! i can't figure out who said we can't talk about tubes! whut's that got to do with anything? hello it's me...i've thought about you for so long....IT's a bout ze muzac. and outlaw has these sites for muzac and der stuff to help uz mit der muu-zac.
where is my tequila?

#11066 - 02/19/03 04:20 PM Re: valves (ie,300B,W.E.)
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I wasn't saying you can't talk about tubes here, just that you won't get much of a response about them. Most people on this board won't know a 300b from a 12au7. I didn't until a few months ago. Probably most people looking to buy tubes at high-end stores don't know the difference either.

Tubes DO sound better. They also cost MUCH more.

#11067 - 02/20/03 10:39 PM Re: valves (ie,300B,W.E.)
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

"I didn't know until a few months ago. Probably most people looking to buy tubes at high-end stores don't know the difference"...zacster.!
ahhhh, but concerned one..u just answered the question of ur concern!
u; u just said I didn't until a few months ago..." but you now (know) see! you learned at a ... point in time. a year ago..by ur logic; u "would not have known".. but we waited....waited for uuu. and now ...u hear a difference; don't u?
a margaa-ree-ta please pour moi!

#11068 - 02/20/03 11:07 PM Re: valves (ie,300B,W.E.)
soundhound Offline
Desperado

zacster:

Well...did you buy some tube equipment? - you didn't say. If so, what did you get? I guess I could find out by just cruising around your neighborhood and looking for the power meter that's spinning around the fastest - that'd be you!

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#11069 - 02/21/03 01:07 AM Re: valves (ie,300B,W.E.)
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
"Have you tried to buy a polystryene capacitor lately?? Sorry, no longer made."

Soundhound, this place has them:

http://www.welbornelabs.com/rel.htm

In the interfaces of my Acoustat 2+2s and 1+1s, I have upgraded the capacitors on the high frequency low voltage side to include a 1.5uF polystyrene cap, a 10uF polypropylene film and foil and a 47uF metalized polypropylene. Gone is any electrolytic.

At my work, I sometimes come across small value polystyrene capacitors in the range of a few hundred pF to 4nF at 630v. They are usually in some old lab that is being cleaned up or out.

It is good that some of the old tubes are still available as "nos: new old stock" or are actually being made. When the semiconductor industry is sufficiently mature (i.e. something newer has came along and made it relatively irrelevant) the best of the last of the semiconductor devices may enjoy a popularity if enough people want them and are willing to pay for continued production of a then-to-be niche product.

My favorite tube of all time is the One-D-ten-T. Lots of them where I work.

Paul

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts