Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10833 - 01/14/03 02:46 AM Reasonably priced stereo tube amp to try with the 950?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Continued from another thread...

One person suggested a Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400. No longer made though. They do have a 50/50 that seems comparably priced (on the used market).

If I wanted to test the waters and try a tube stereo amp for say less than $500 (new or used), what would you recommend?

Cheers!

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#10834 - 01/14/03 12:27 PM Re: Reasonably priced stereo tube amp to try with the 950?
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
JoLida gets favorable reviews.
New integrated tube models from 700 - 1200. USED ?
New hybrid Tube/SS integrated amps from 700 - 900.
USED ?
You might check out prices on www.Audiogon.com
Some of the older models were cited for poor construction quality but from what I have read this issue has been addressed on the newer units.

#10835 - 01/14/03 03:41 PM Re: Reasonably priced stereo tube amp to try with the 950?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Jolida- Cool, I've heard of them...

#10836 - 01/14/03 05:53 PM Re: Reasonably priced stereo tube amp to try with the 950?
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Dynaco ST70 is a classic that can be had for under $400. Look for an upgraded one on e-bay. The push-pull amps of this type are all pretty similar, the design dates back to the 60s (50s, 40s???), despite the high prices at the high end stores for fancy cabinets.

If you can build it yourself, and you can, try Bottlehead for an SET amp. Much better sounding than push-pull, but low power.

#10837 - 01/14/03 06:44 PM Re: Reasonably priced stereo tube amp to try with the 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
As I've related in another thread, high efficiency horn speakers that use compresion drivers almost demand the use of tubes. This is because the crossover point in a class A/B solid state output stage produces distortion that is very close to the average signal level, and can be heard as a harshness to the sound. The use of feedback to compensate for this crossover notch is also something that can sound harsh in the right circumstances. A typical high powered solid state amp is putting out just a fraction of a watt at normal listening levels when using horns, and the (very) low level 'grunge' that exists in all such amps is awfully close to the level of the normal signal level most of the time. It's a matter of signal to noise ratio as always and in this case, signal to admittedly low levels of distortion, but levels which are relatively high with respect to the signal level that's needed to drive an efficient horn. If the horn is efficient enough, the best way to go is with a single ended triode amp, which does not have a crossover at all - one tube, one channel - very simple. These amps usually employ zero global negative feedback too. This setup however requires that your speakers use bi or tri amplification in conjunction with an outboard electronic crossover, so it is a big commitment.

Of course, practicality is in the eye and ears of the beholder, so when you get in the outer lunatic fringe tweek-ism areas like this, be prepared for 'high user interactivity"

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 14, 2003).]

#10838 - 01/14/03 11:30 PM Re: Reasonably priced stereo tube amp to try with the 950?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Soundhound,

Please (I beg of you… ) quit talking about the wonderful sound of all this tube class stuff: …so it is a big commitment…. so when you get in the outer lunatic fringe tweek-ism areas like this…

Right now I’m thinking I ‘have’ to learn to become a display calabrationist. You want to add to my list!
Don’t have time for all this 'high user interactivity"

#10839 - 01/15/03 12:05 AM Re: Reasonably priced stereo tube amp to try with the 950?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Lena:

I never said anything about how it sounds! - actually tubes sound like crap, so you can rest easy

#10840 - 01/15/03 12:07 AM Re: Reasonably priced stereo tube amp to try with the 950?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

SH- I was kind of afraid of that...

(I remember when I discovered the ability to eq a sub. Spent literally hours and hours manually measuring, adjusting filters, crossover points, levels, and reiterate. It was fun, and I liked the end result, but for next time, I'm using one of the automated software packages with a PC...)

#10841 - 01/15/03 03:37 PM Re: Reasonably priced stereo tube amp to try with the 950?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
actually tubes sound like crap, so you can rest easy
Liar/Liar
Tubes on fire.

Actually I just discovered this morning it may all be a moot issue for me. CNN tells me ….(I live in Texas) that many research vials of the bacterium named Yersinia pestis (more commonly Black plague, Bubonic Plague) seem to have come up missing. (whoops)
Who want’s All my AV gear willed to them? (Sanitized of course).

#10842 - 01/16/03 12:30 PM Re: Reasonably priced stereo tube amp to try with the 950?
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
Lena, you say that you are going to become a display cabaretionist? What cabaret are you going to work at? Are old chums allowed to come to the cabaret?

One caveat about used tube equipment is the tubes. You don't really know how many hours are on them. The cost of re-tubing an amp may turn that bargain used item into non-bargain. Before you buy, try and find out how much a new set of tubes will cost.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul J. Stiles (edited January 16, 2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts