Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10628 - 11/21/02 03:23 PM Death by Subwoofer
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
It started innocently enough. Those here who have watched me go ‘on and on’ might remember. All I wanted was just one little subwoofer for ‘himself’ for Christmas. Just one T- tiny subwoofer. (I’m trying to make myself feel better right now).

But I decided to buy him a ‘set’. Then I thought I think its about time he should upgrade that old PL receiver so he could get DD and DTS out of all those DVD’s he had. I found this model I’m interested in for him, but I have to just ‘tell’ him about it at Christmas and how I’m on this waiting list and it will come (eventually). And while I’m on this waiting list, just killing time and demoing the competition, hmmmm….new improved sound system and all that coming along, - well that old 27” just does not look big enough any more. How bout a 40” plasma. Nope, he sees 60incher, he falls in love with 60inches. So it’s a 60”. But It’s bigger…..and the rooms little. He says he wants it in the CORNER. The back is beveled on this display , - it will fit in the corner, he wants it in the corner………..but no one makes a stand to PUT it in the corner. I’ll hire it done…..whoops the guy we like just retired….. Okay, ‘himself’ does not have the time (he is gearing up to start his ‘major project’) and we’ve looked for months, I’m ready to buy the nice looking rectangle, - no-one makes a triangle shaped base! But he says no. SO several nights ago my x-cabinet maker husband comes home and spends 30 min a night BUILDING something in the garage. I’m very excited …the next time the water heater blows up and floods we will not be in danger of losing the display which is sitting right on an oak floor.

SO last night I go down to the garage where he is fabricating trim pieces. He’s using a safety stick to ‘push’ the oak through the table saw and he looks at one of the kids who just asked him a question and the safety stick does a kick back. Something like 500 miles an hour right in the middle of the inside of his forearm,…between the wrist and elbow. Blood is everywhere, we put a pressure tourniquet on it, and fly to the hospital….I don’t KNOW how bad it is, I never really saw it till we got there. Every doctor and aid on the floor last night came in to ‘look’ at what he’d done. They thought it was better than a cadaver. They said in every anatomy class they had ever been enrolled in they had never taken the meat off the muscle so cleanly!!!!. And there it was 6 inches of muscle exposed perfectly, the sheath of blue-gray membrane, which covers and protects the muscle was not even cut damaged or torn,…they said he was a perfect filet! And Look at the nerves and veins running to the side. Perfect anatomy lesson!!!. (I had to sit down twice….I admired it greatly with them but things got strangely HOT in that room).

The moral of my story is, when your wife comes up to you and states. Honey, I got your subwoofer for Christmas…..RUN……

He's going to be fine, he was VERY lucky…no tendons, major nerves, arteries…He faints at the sight of blood but he went to work today ….(he should NOT have). I cant’ get over it though…I’m feeling so guilty…

#10629 - 11/21/02 03:56 PM Re: Death by Subwoofer
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Ouch! Glad to hear that he's going to be OK.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#10630 - 11/21/02 04:48 PM Re: Death by Subwoofer
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Oh, man--thats not good! Glad to hear it wasn't worse than it is-- however, that's not to say it isn't bad! I do a little woodworking myself and have witnessed "kickback" a time or two. Not a fun experience. I guess this means you will have to finish the stand yourself -- or find another cabinet maker? tell him best wishes and here's hope for a speedy recovery.

#10631 - 11/21/02 04:49 PM Re: Death by Subwoofer
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
Not an easy read, kept wanting to close my eyes but it wasn't a movie.

Glad he is going to be fine. Hope it heals quickly.

#10632 - 11/21/02 06:58 PM Re: Death by Subwoofer
Desperado

I’m sorry I should have warned, some sort of a ‘gory’ spoiler alert.
I handle this stuff pretty well and I have seen some bad things just recently around the horses. But it’s entirely different when it happens to whom you sleep beside.
...I won’t finish the AV stand ….unless I can use my little nail file, (after seeing that). My husband told me once years ago at the cabinet shop one of the commercial table saws kicked back a 2x4. He said it collapsed a fire door into its center. I was so happy when he quit doing that work most those men staying in the business for years were missing something! I can only be thankful this was 1x stick.

No he will finish it…but if he tries to go down there for a while I’m going to jump him. And most likely start building a plane next (his big project), I already asked if he still intended the aviation project which daunts me, it was an affirmative.

I’ll tell him and thanks….this path from a Christmas sub to emergency room till 3am…I really am feeling guilty right now. He’s enjoyed me going off the deep end in AV. I guess what guy wouldn’t with his wife dragging home all this stuff, he got so tickled the other night when we were at an electronics store and another man started talking to him about his wife who was standing there with him, who gets so upset at him always dragging her into electronics sections (she really was looking rather angry) …and told him I guess she (me) hates it too. My husband had fun with that one.

I never dreamt this hobby was dangerous. I thought I had to worry about the plane, not a monitor stand!
PS: He told everyone in emergency I had taken a chain saw to him when I caught him watching the 'Victoria Secret's' models last night.
Be careful out there guys when you DIY.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited November 21, 2002).]

#10633 - 11/21/02 07:37 PM Re: Death by Subwoofer
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
I feel for you and your husband I was branded with the nickname "Crash" at a very young age and have lived up to it quite well so far! I myself am a Maintenance/electronics Tech at a large factory and can testify to the brutal nature of the "trade" jobs. It is no wonder all the kids these days want to work with computers at desks. As I sit here typing this I am only using 9 fingers as one of my pinkys was smashed and almost removed from my left hand about 7 weeks ago and other than the nail is just now starting to look like something not from a freak show.
So I wish your husband a speedy recovery and I feel for him.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#10634 - 11/21/02 10:39 PM Re: Death by Subwoofer
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big Island, HI
I have to agree with deperado's post.....

Interesting....I too would very much like to build a plane, but my wife doesnt't like that idea just as you don't. Hell, she doesn't like me flying period after she hears half the stories about the students I teach now.

I wish your husband a speedy recovery.

fly guy

#10635 - 11/22/02 08:31 AM Re: Death by Subwoofer
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

Smart Little Lena,

I know this probably won't help, but you are not the reason he got hurt. It sounds like he was taking all the precautions and this was just an unfortunate accident. My father almost cut his thumb off on a table saw, and ever since he uses a push stick (at least that's what he tells me).
Ultimately, it is your husband's responsiblity because he was operating the saw, not you.
Still, I understand why you feel guilty and I join with everyone else in hoping he makes a quick and full recovery.
Group hug now?

I thought "Group hug now?" might sound trite. I didn't mean it to be. Just using humor to defuse a tense moment.

[This message has been edited by CBWills (edited November 22, 2002).]

#10636 - 11/22/02 12:56 PM Re: Death by Subwoofer
Desperado

Oh NO 'Crash'. I’m SO sorry about your hand! (Shudders).we can relate too well, - at the moment. Please get better quickly.…I sincerely hope no permanent damage!
CB Willis. No not at all trite, don't worry. You either choose to laugh or you cry. My husband and I are the type to try and always choose humor. We feel it is the only way to get through life. He was cracking so many jokes in the ER that night, he kept everyone in stitches ( ) They kept telling us what a very refreshing change we were from whom they normally were working with in the middle of the night.

(Don’t read if you are of delicate sensibilities).
I and my husband felt like we had been dropped in the middle of a Saturday Night Live skit. Something from the early reruns like the ‘Bass-O-Matic”. The only way to get through it was to laugh. How can I even tell this delicately…..We were waiting on x-rays to come back. Uhm the 2nd guy who was put in the cubical 4 feet over, (we were there a long time) with just a curtain between us. Young guy…he talked to us through the curtain for a while (you know everyone being neighborly) …You could hear everything in this place even if you tried not too. The doctor and some nurses came in and out over there speaking to him. Each one of them had a conversation something like this.
Doctor: Nice tattoos you have there. Oh and look at those piercing's….. Wow, -What have you had done to your *****?! Who did that? my husband and I are looking at each other
Patient: A plastic surgeon.
Doctor: A plastic surgeon did THAT?! Really? You found a plastic surgeon who would do THAT? my husband and I are clapping our hands over our mouths to keep from laughing or gasping
Patient: Yes
Doctor: I have NEVER seen THAT before. Is that for your partner’s satisfaction? You found a plastic surgeon who would really do that!?! Oh …… and I also see you’ve had your tongue ‘forked’ too. Where did you get that done?
Nurse: (comes in) “What did you have done to your *****?!?!. I have NEVER seen that before”. Meanwhile, -out in the hall a very inebriated patient is roaming in front of our door singing at the top of his lungs and sort of dancing around in his hospital gown (his rendition of singing in the rain) till someone offical came and collected him.
my husband and myself are hanging on to each other now. Whispering “Oh please, just sew us up and GET US OUT OF HERE”.

So the big question for the night was: What WAS behind curtain number 3.

#10637 - 11/23/02 01:31 AM Re: Death by Subwoofer
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
WOW!!! I'm very curious and I wasn't even there! Let us know if you ever do find out! Hope your husband gets well soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM