Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#96167 - 12/14/16 04:05 AM Which would you choose?
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Right now, the Klipsch R-14M and KB-15 are both on sale for $99.00 and $99.99, respectively, at New Egg (both have free or nearly free shipping, too). The R-14M's are actually that price in several places but the 15's only at New Egg (although $113 at Amazon isn't that much difference). I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of these to mate with my old 1050 for a second room music setup. Might connect it to a PC output eventually to play Spotify or the like, but primarily it'd just be used for CD's, iPods, or radio.

First things first, anyone have any idea how these sound? On paper, it seems the 15's are a better deal as they have five inch woofers instead of four and have a slightly larger range and greater power handling. However, I know that paper doesn't always tell the whole story so checking in with you guys to see if anyone has a recommendation or perhaps knows of a better deal or maybe a completely different suggestion.

I've never owned Klipsch and have always been a Boston Acoustics fan but this price seems pretty good. Plus, I can always pick up an M8 when the budget allows if I need some more low end. Anybody have any thoughts here?

#96168 - 12/14/16 11:06 AM Re: Which would you choose? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I own several larger versions of Klipsch speakers and I don't think you can beat them for music and HT combinations. I have also thought about buying the 15s as surround speakers but the wife would kill me if I bring any more speakers into the house. For $99 I don't think you can go wrong. They are less efficient than most of the Klipsch line at 90 db@1W. Bear in mind that since they use a horn for the tweeter they are somewhat directional. The square tractix horn solved some of the issue. It was a minor issue to start with so I wouldn't be concerned.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#96176 - 12/16/16 02:54 PM Re: Which would you choose? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Sounds like that might be a good deal then. smile I'm not too worried about directional concerns. The room is roughly 30 ft. long by about 13 ft. wide. The computer room is at one end with the kitchen at the other and pretty much right in the middle of either long wall is the sliding glass door to the back on one side and the interior garage door on the other. My thoughts are just setting it up on the far wall at the end of the PC area so they'll go pretty much straight out at whomever is in the space. smile

Thanks for the feedback, Xenon!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM