Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#93833 - 01/02/14 05:30 PM TV Recommendations?
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
I am just starting to look for a new TV for my main viewing room. I was hoping some of you out there could help me narrow down the research a bit. I currently have a 65" Misubishi DLP which I've been quite happy with for several years now. However, I'd like to get something a bit brighter as my room is very bright during the day. Also, I think I'd like a wall mount this time.

I'm looking for something in the 64-72" range. I don't need a ton on "bells and whistles" as I won't use them. I don't care about 3D either. My main concern is picture quality. As I said, daytime viewing the room is quite bright, but my main viewing times are at night in a dim to dark room. I'm willing to spend up to $2500 or slightly more for something really good.

I'm just looking for a few suggestions to get me started. Obviously I will do some independent research before I buy.

Thanks In advance for your help.

Regards,
Mark
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#93834 - 01/02/14 08:35 PM Re: TV Recommendations? [Re: mdrconsult]
H Stevens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
Originally Posted By: mdrconsult
My main concern is picture quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P65VT...p;keywords=vt60

#93835 - 01/03/14 01:34 AM Re: TV Recommendations? [Re: mdrconsult]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
We've got a Panasonic plasma (not the one linked by H Stevens above) and we love it! They do have a glass front so if your bright viewing times shine directly at the TV like a spotlight it may not work so well, but plasma has a beautiful picture and no viewing angle problems at all. They look just as good in full daylight as in a dim/dark space, too. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

The early problems they had with burn in don't exist much unless you constantly watch static or boxed images (or maybe leave the stock ticker scrolling across the bottom 24/7). You do need to be aware of the possibility, but it's not a big deal to accommodate. We just make sure to have all of our input devices set with a nice short screen saver and after two years of normal use with a mix of 4:3, 1.85:1 and 2.40:1 material (including lots of Wii and PS3 games) we haven't had to use the anti retention feature even one time. There's only been a single instance I noticed any kind of retention at all and it went away watching a full screen half hour show so if you have memories of those early problems, don't sweat over it with the new sets.

#93845 - 01/07/14 04:40 PM Re: TV Recommendations? [Re: mdrconsult]
RCF051 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
We also have a Panny plasma -- the 65VT, bought a year ago, and it is terrific. Only downside is the glare in a bright room, but we generally watch movies at night. Panasonic made an even better model last year -- the ZT series, which set the standard for plasmas currently made in terms of black levels. Unfortunately, Panasonic is getting out of the plasma business. At the time, it was priced within your price range.

Edited by RCF051 (01/07/14 04:41 PM)

#93848 - 01/09/14 03:54 PM Re: TV Recommendations? [Re: RCF051]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Originally Posted By: RCF051
Unfortunately, Panasonic is getting out of the plasma business.

Seriously? That blows. They seem to be one of, if not the, best plasma makers out there.

#93849 - 01/10/14 08:45 AM Re: TV Recommendations? [Re: Owl's_Warder]
tps Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Owl's_Warder
Originally Posted By: RCF051
Unfortunately, Panasonic is getting out of the plasma business.

Seriously? That blows. They seem to be one of, if not the, best plasma makers out there.

Agreed. I'm on my second Panasonic plasma, myself. Unfortunately, the alternatives to plasma are good enough for most, and increasingly less expensive, so plasma becomes a relatively high cost niche market.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts