Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#85500 - 01/08/11 06:34 PM HELP!!! I only changed a fuse
cogito Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Janesville, WI
I'm hoping someone can give a suggestion with a severe subwoofer noise problem.

I was laid up for a few months with major back surgery(fusion). During this time I noticed that my sub was getting no power. The stand by light was no longer lit as well as no sound. I couldn't check on the problem until now as my wife (probably wisely) refuses to mess with any of the equipment. Fortunately she encourages my theater habit though.

Here's the details. I have a Sunfire True Sunbwoofer(early model as it was purchased back in 1996) plugged into a Monstercable power center and connected to Outlaw Model 990 via line level. The power connection has been the same and quiet(read hum free) for seven+ years. The 990 was added less than a year ago and has sounded beatifully since it was up and running. I checked the fuse on the sub and it was blown. I replaced it with another 6 1/4 amp fuse of the same type as the original. Comparing the fuses they look like they were made by the same manufacturer. All connections to the sub were unplugged including the power prior to checking and swapping out the old fuse. I then plugged in the power. The sub now had power along with a horrible noise. Adjusting the volume, crossover and phase on the sub had no impact. Remember the sub is not connected to anything, only the power center. I then plugged it directly into the wall and had the same noise.

I can't see why changing the fuse would have this big of an impact. I know it's getting old but it has been primarily used for movies and is not on all the time. Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise it's a call to Sunfire tech support.
Thanks.
Oppo BDP-83, LG UBK90 4k
Directv, Sony PS4 Pro/PS3
Polk Audio RT800, CS400, FX500
SVS Elevation (4)
Sunfire True Subwoofer, Epik Empire
APC H15
Harmony Elite remote
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects

#85501 - 01/08/11 07:18 PM Re: HELP!!! I only changed a fuse [Re: cogito]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It could be that whatever caused the fuse to blow affected something else in the sub's power supply. Since it is humming even with no input signal, it is clearly an internal issue of some sort.

#85502 - 01/08/11 08:01 PM Re: HELP!!! I only changed a fuse [Re: gonk]
cogito Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Janesville, WI
Thanks for the quick respone gonk I guess I'll be making a phone call Monday morning.
Oppo BDP-83, LG UBK90 4k
Directv, Sony PS4 Pro/PS3
Polk Audio RT800, CS400, FX500
SVS Elevation (4)
Sunfire True Subwoofer, Epik Empire
APC H15
Harmony Elite remote
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts