Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#83980 - 06/17/10 06:27 PM What makes someone an Audiophile? Are you one?
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
SSIA, do you consider yourself an audiophile? If so why, what qualifies your self-description?

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#83984 - 06/17/10 08:29 PM Re: What makes someone an Audiophile? Are you one? [Re: Jimna]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I would classify myself as a music afficianado vice an audiophile. I don't claim to hear every nuance of the sound being produced (ie no Golden ears)but I do enjoy my systems for both music and HT. I tend to do a lot of research before I buy and then keep the equipment I bought forever despite all the claims of superior stuff out there. I listen to MP3s with some Klipsch earphones and in my truck and I enjoy it as much as with the big systems.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#83985 - 06/17/10 08:43 PM Re: What makes someone an Audiophile? Are you one? [Re: XenonMan]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Right on!

I guess I am a music lover first, and then audiophile by progression 2nd. I have come to prefer better sound, but no matter what i have music on all he time. Good or bad sound quality, any music is better than none in my world.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#83988 - 06/17/10 11:45 PM Re: What makes someone an Audiophile? Are you one? [Re: Jimna]
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
My system is for music exclusively, and it's on most of the time. I only began to care about sound a few years ago, and now I'm pretty fascinated by nuances. That hasn't altered the type of music I listen to, though. I shouldn't say it, but when I survey what I consider the dreadful music taste of some so-called audiophiles, it makes me think they're definitely more into gear than music.

#83992 - 06/18/10 07:45 AM Re: What makes someone an Audiophile? Are you one? [Re: tru blu]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

I default to the pre 1990's version of audiophile. That is, appreciating music and listening with my ears, not my wallet. Being as objective as possible by asking-does it sound good? Does it move me? Does it communicate music? Or are those giant, $60K speakers seem arid and lifeless? I have grown to appreciate a thoughtfully assembled system (or headphones) as long as they try to be musical. I too have some Klipsch X-5 earphones, and they are more exciting to me than my $750 headphone setup ever was. In my advanced decrepitude, I have really come to appreciate DIY and refurbished classics that say "I have the skill and love to do this" more than a system that expensive just for the sake of being expensive. ANYONE can buy a new system off the rack (especially if it means keeping up with the Jonses) , but the music lover restores,assembles or compiles a system with heart. The person that buys and keeps components, not swapping them out every few months because they are never satisfied and always listening to "gear". It's not about the guy that buys from the Stereophile recommended components list like it's the word of God and sniffs at others who have not spent as much. It's that kid that fires up an old turntable he found on ebay that he and his father took the time to set up. Listening through an old dynaco st-70 together on some of dad's vintage speakers just to share the experience and passion for music. It's not about "My stereo is more expensive than yours" it's about being immersed into what is coming out of the speakers.

Edited by refurb (06/18/10 07:47 AM)

#83993 - 06/18/10 08:25 AM Re: What makes someone an Audiophile? Are you one? [Re: refurb]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Originally Posted By: refurb
it's about being immersed into what is coming out of the speakers.

Absolutely! When I wanted to assemble a stereo system, I started looking at gear others defined as producing top quality sound. The preamps would have nothing more than a volume knob and a source selector because if you wanted to be an audiophile you "listened to music the way the artist intended". And then on a lark I looked at vintage gear from the late 70s (my first real stereo was in 1974) and was re-hooked. Gear from that era celebrated adjusting the output to fit the room conditions and source quaility. Balance, bass and treble controls and multiband equalizers were all the rage. And while I'm no golden ear I like the stereo sound produced by my vintage gear and I become easily "immersed" versus when using the more modern stuff in my HT setup for stereo playback. Maybe its a bit of nostalgia, and vintage equipment is not for everyone, but it sounds right to me.

#83995 - 06/18/10 11:17 AM Re: What makes someone an Audiophile? Are you one? [Re: AvFan]
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
I have never considered labelling. I have always had a stereo of some kind since I was about 10. There were always upgrades not necessarily based on technology but rather what a reasonable budget could buy. When I entered my late 30's, I was finally able to buy some of those things that I always wanted but had to wait until other priorities were taken care of. However, I never did without a "stereo". I enjoy music from all sources. While we always want to hear great quality, something is better than nothing. There is a time and place for all sources. Currently I have a little something in a few rooms (the benefit of occasionally upgrading) including the garage. I think there are many aspects to this hobby. While we all love our music whether it is in the dedicated rooms, our gyms, our bedrooms, or the garage, we spend time learning about our stuff - not just the equipment, but our sources and most importantly, about the people (artists') who bring it into our homes. We are willing to share out pleasures. How many of us have spouses or children who have come to appreciate "good sound" or a great movie played right? While they not share the high level of enthusiasm, they have come to appreciate at their own level while respecting our interests or listen to us talk about equipment (sometimes with a blank stare...). We are not addicts. Our hobby does not interfere with other aspects of our lives. We never hock essentials to get money for a CD. Many of have us have our opinions on different equipment, technology, sources and artists but respectful at the same time to avoid being the ultimate B and M snob (Outlaw who?).

I do not know if I am an audiophile but I do know that this hobby has been with me for over 30 years with no end in sight.

#83998 - 06/18/10 05:55 PM Re: What makes someone an Audiophile? Are you one? [Re: nomoneybutgoodsound]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

I knew this was a good group for this conversation. I like these answers, keep em coming.

One thing that puzzles me are the folks who call themselves audiophiles, and have an investment to stake the claim, but aren't music lovers? How the hell can you not be a music lover and still be an audiophile? Now I realize, in today's world folks are as inclined to have audio gear for HT as are for music, and increasingly so as we 2 channel people become dinosaurs in the land of 11.5 channel systems, so I see the exception....but I also notice less of those folks claim to be audiophiles too, not that they arent....(hows that for a run-on sentence!) I am seeing this more and more where they only listen to a few selections over and over because they sound good. But I guess thats what refurb was saying earlier, so I guess I am just agreeing.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

#83999 - 06/18/10 06:41 PM Re: What makes someone an Audiophile? Are you one? [Re: Jimna]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

The part that compounds the confusion is not just the insane price tag for components, "magic" speaker cables and the like: All too often I have read assertions that "This is the sound I am after...nothing compares...etc" and then 6 months later, it's something else. And again....and again. Meanwhile: music lovers may still have those 80's Ar acoustic suspension speakers, quads, Infinity reference, Klipsch, Polk etc. When you say "I have found *the* sound, KEEPING the system speaks louder than declarative statements. I have been accused of living in the past (80's specifically) but I liked the era of analog listening before the over-the-top prices and hyperbole. I have seen people come full circle. They start with something like Klipsch Heresy's, move on to umpteen expensive boutique systems and finally end up with a set amp and some Klipsch. (or insert your favorite modestly priced speakers here).

Edited by refurb (06/18/10 06:42 PM)

#84002 - 06/18/10 09:34 PM Re: What makes someone an Audiophile? Are you one? [Re: refurb]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I have a set of Large Advent Loudspeakers which I bought new in 1975. I have re-coned them 3 different times and still love them for music. They really do excel at producing sound that is pleasing. I have spent as much $$$ re-coning them over the years as I did when I bought them. Every once in a while someone will ask where they came from and when I tell them they are 35 years old they can't believe it. I still have the Yamaha CA 800 integrated amp I bought with them and the CT-810 Tuner that is a separate item. That tuner is still an incredible piece of gear although the amp could use a good cleaning. The old amp weighs 45 pounds by itself and puts out 45 watts. It is built like a tank and has a solid wood cabinet. The tuner does too! Can't beat old gear for construction.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts