Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#84034 - 06/21/10 08:35 AM I'm a Convert
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
After years of having URC remotes (MX-500, 700 and 850) I am now a convert to Harmony.

After a weekend of using and customizing my Harmony One and figuring out a couple of vexing problems that were due to my own ineptitude it is performing like a charm. Why has my preference changed?

Ease of use for everyone - the MX remotes were great for me as I had set them up but were confusing at time to visitors. No problem with the H1. Had several people over during the weekend and no one needed any help.

Colorful, easy to customize screen - on the MX you were only able to use 5 letters to denote buttons which could lead to some confusing abbreviations. Also I really love the Favorites section with the colorful icons to label the channels. So now if an out of town guest or someone that doesn't use DTV is here they can select channels without having to know the numbers (and me too cause who can remember all the numbers). also have setup Activities (macros) that allow me to do everything I want.

Better software - I found that over time the MX software did not keep up with their software of available devices. No problem with Harmony it seems. Also the MX software had a learning curve that was not always easy to master. Harmony software is great (if you are not impatient and take a few minutes to review it - duh to me) And another thing the connector for the MX uses a pin connection that is not on any of my newer computers and Harmony uses a USB.

And it is rechargeable, lighter and a bit smaller than the MX.

The only area I can think where the MX surpasses the Harmony is in signal strength. That old MX has a signal strength that is amazing. Not that there is aproblem with the Harmony in that area the MX just has more power.

So I always recommended URC/MX remotes but now will be in the Harmony camp
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

#84051 - 06/22/10 01:46 AM Re: I'm a Convert [Re: mzpro5]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I can't make the same comparison as I've never owned a URC remote, but I've been very happy with my Harmony One. The H1 is much better built than its predecessor the 880 (the buttons were the issue) and I like the shape. Regardless of which universal remote you use I think they are the best accessory you can buy because they eliminate most if not all of the frustration of using a home theater.

One note: I really enjoy the H1 with the oppo BDP-83. I've made every connection possible on the oppo and the Harmony allows me to set up multiple Activities with a variety of inputs on the 990. Probably not a unique feature but it sure is handy. Enjoy your new remote!

#84055 - 06/22/10 07:50 AM Re: I'm a Convert [Re: AvFan]
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
Originally Posted By: AvFan
I can't make the same comparison as I've never owned a URC remote, but I've been very happy with my Harmony One. The H1 is much better built than its predecessor the 880 (the buttons were the issue) and I like the shape. Regardless of which universal remote you use I think they are the best accessory you can buy because they eliminate most if not all of the frustration of using a home theater.

One note: I really enjoy the H1 with the oppo BDP-83. I've made every connection possible on the oppo and the Harmony allows me to set up multiple Activities with a variety of inputs on the 990. Probably not a unique feature but it sure is handy. Enjoy your new remote!

I bought an 880 and gave it a try but hated it because the buttons were all in line and level. Sold it to a friend that liked it. That's why I was hesitant about the H1 but it is a far superior remote to the 880.
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts