Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#82102 - 01/20/10 09:44 PM Emotiva UMC1
kscharf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
I looked at Emotiva's website a few days ago. They FINALLY have a user manual for the UMC-1 posted. From the manual this rig looks impressive. The UMC-1 can be set up for 16 virtual inputs, and you can select from ANY of the video and audio inputs. You can rename any of the inputs except for the tuner (since you can't reassign the tuner input to anything else anyway). You can have several inputs assigned to the same audio or video connections and just change the processing selections. For someone who has a lot of legacy equipment and ran out of jacks on the back of the unit this thing is a dream come true. Use the analog a/v inputs for that old VCR, tape deck, add a preamp for the turntable. Use the digital inputs for BD, upscaling DVD, component video and coax digital audio for the cable/sat box, etc. Even add a computer for on line sources. There is also a second zone (stereo only). I can't wait to read a review on the UMC-1.

#82107 - 01/21/10 07:32 AM Re: Emotiva UMC1 [Re: kscharf]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Seems like a nice unit at a very attractive price. Too bad it's made in China. That rules it out for me (along with the Outlaw 997).

#82112 - 01/21/10 11:37 AM Re: Emotiva UMC1 [Re: Ritz2]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I like the virtual inputs. The "legacy" analog inputs are actually kind of sparse for a typical surround processor, but having the digital inputs (coaxial, optical, HDMI) and component video inputs separated out is a nice refinement of a trend we've been seeing for several years now. I hate the lack of discrete input commands on the remote. There should be discrete codes available for Harmony (and presumably URC and Pronto) within the next month or so, which will help, and I kind of see why they did it now (16 input buttons would be a bit dense on the remote). I just think that from a user interface standpoint it's a pain, even though you can remove unused inputs from the rotation.

#82113 - 01/21/10 12:06 PM Re: Emotiva UMC1 [Re: gonk]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Just scanning the product information on the Emotiva website, I don't see any mention of SACD or DVD-A decoding. Am I just overlooking it ?
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#82117 - 01/21/10 02:47 PM Re: Emotiva UMC1 [Re: KOYAAN]
gonk Offline
Desperado

DVD-Audio decoding is covered by compatibility with multichannel PCM via HDMI. DVD-Audio players have to unpack the MLP data into LPCM anyway. As for SACD, I didn't see any mention of DSD support, so you'd need to have a player that converted DSD to LPCM if you wanted to use HDMI.

#82121 - 01/21/10 05:18 PM Re: Emotiva UMC1 [Re: gonk]
kscharf Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
I like the virtual inputs. The "legacy" analog inputs are actually kind of sparse for a typical surround processor, but having the digital inputs (coaxial, optical, HDMI) and component video inputs separated out is a nice refinement of a trend we've been seeing for several years now. I hate the lack of discrete input commands on the remote. There should be discrete codes available for Harmony (and presumably URC and Pronto) within the next month or so, which will help, and I kind of see why they did it now (16 input buttons would be a bit dense on the remote). I just think that from a user interface standpoint it's a pain, even though you can remove unused inputs from the rotation.
The input method is similar to what's on my Visio TV. To select an HDMI input you have to scroll between the 4 inputs, and the newer sets have 5 or 6 hdmi inputs. I do hope they publish discrete codes for everything including discrete on/off for use with remote control systems such as the Niles IC2.

#82122 - 01/21/10 05:27 PM Re: Emotiva UMC1 [Re: kscharf]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: kscharf
The input method is similar to what's on my Visio TV. To select an HDMI input you have to scroll between the 4 inputs, and the newer sets have 5 or 6 hdmi inputs. I do hope they publish discrete codes for everything including discrete on/off for use with remote control systems such as the Niles IC2.

The arrangement is very common on TV's, especially on the factory remotes. My Zenith 32" HDTV had undocumented discrete input codes, as does my Sony 40" LCD. I don't think that my cheap Sceptre in the bedroom does. As common as it is, though, it is also kinda frustrating (especially when programming a universal remote). For a surround processor, though, it's pretty unheard of to omit discrete input commands.

#82138 - 01/22/10 02:54 PM Re: Emotiva UMC1 [Re: gonk]
og33 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: White Cloud, Michigan
Haven't been on Emo's forum, but there's a thread over on AVS stating there are problems with the UMC1..it already needs a fix. Sounds like they may have released it too soon without getting all the bugs out.
Panasonic BDP-45
Outlaw LFM-2

2 Channel:
Red Dragon M-500 monoblocks
BAT-VK3i
Salk HT-1TL's
Apple TV
Beresford 7520 DAC
Surgex XS10

#82143 - 01/22/10 06:41 PM Re: Emotiva UMC1 [Re: og33]
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
It looks like the have a small software problem but they are expecting a firmware update here shortly.
Any processor based device is going to have some problems when it finally gets in the hands of the consumer.
Oppo went through it with the BDP-83 and Outlaw will when the 997 comes out.
It is impossible to work out eveything in beta testing.
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Enzo XL L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#82159 - 01/23/10 06:57 PM Re: Emotiva UMC1 [Re: butchgo]
kscharf Offline
Gunslinger

There was a note on their website that indicated there already was a fix out for the latest units shipping and a download would be available for those with product in their hands. Hey we all remember the 970 'no audio' bug and the two or three software updates to fix that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM