Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#18437 - 03/09/09 06:02 AM VUDU XL - first thoughts
rav Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tenino, Washington
I have received several inquiries about my addition of the vudu xl. I normally do not review equipment since I don’t consider myself an expert on video or audio. But I will try to give a few thoughts after 2 days of use.

First, I am using my vudu xl in conjunction with my Outlaw 990 and an NEC 50x5. I have the vudu xl connected with hdmi to dvi cable into the 990 for video and using a digital coax for the audio. I have 10 meg DSL circuit so bandwidth is not an issue.

Installation was pretty simple. The vudu has a 4 step installation menu that does most of the heavy lifting. One surprise was the need to activate the vudu xl from my computer. This required me to purchase a $20 entry amount even though I purchased the Outlaw vudu credits. According to Scott at the Outlaws my vudu credit will be applied a couple days after activation. During the step-up process the vudu xl updated the firmware, plus did several bandwidth checks. Total set-up time was approximately 20 minutes including the account activation.

First, I played with vudu labs. I uploaded a few pictures to my picasa account and was able to view them through the vudu xl, quality on the pictures was good. I watched a few youtube clips. The clips were poor quality and the upscaling on my tv did not help but it was fun pulling some youtube clips. I tried some the free tv stuff and quality was pretty good, sharp with no digital artifacts.

Next my wife and I decided to watch a movie. The first movie we decided to watch was “the bucket list” unfortunately it was not in the vudu library so on to choice 2. So we choose the “don’t mess with zohan”. The vudu xl told us to watch in HDX it would require a 4 hour wait, HD would require a 30 second wait, and SD instantly. We choose HD and it took about 2 minute then the movie was available to start. The picture quality was good, but not quite as good as my oppo 983. Audio was fine. Once the movie started the vudu xl keep pace, no buffering issues, it just keep playing.

Tonight we decided to watch “swing vote” in SD. We had the same options, HDX would require a 4 hour wait, HD would require a 30 second wait and SD would be instant. We choose SD and started the movie. The video quality was passable definitely not as good as vudu’s hd option or my oppo 983 but I was not disappointed in the picture quality. There were no buffering delays or any issues with playback.

The remote is going to take some time. It is comfortable in my hand but it not back lite so in darken room it is hard to figure out the right buttons. I hit the wrong button this evening while trying to pause the movie and it went out the main screen. I had to reque the movie. Thankfully, it restarted at the same place I goofed.

I will try to add a few more thoughts toward the end of the week since I am going to be tied up the next few evening. I need to try an HDX choice but I need to be at least 4 hours proactive. In my opinion, the picture and audio quality is very good for internet appliance. The vudu xl has meet and surpassed my expectations. After 2 days and 2 movies, I am thinking the vudu xl is a keeper.

#18438 - 03/10/09 01:34 PM Re: VUDU XL - first thoughts
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello RAV,

Not that I want to "condone" surfing the web at work wink but you can browse the VUDU web site, pick your HDX movie and have it waiting for you when you get home!

Scott

#18439 - 03/10/09 02:07 PM Re: VUDU XL - first thoughts
rav Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tenino, Washington
Scott,

Yes, I did that yesterday. I choose a HDX movie from the website in the AM. I double checked when I got home and sure enough it was there and ready to be watched.

Now I have to find time to watch it.

Rick

Who's Online
0 registered (), 142 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts