Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17551 - 03/24/08 04:23 PM Outlaw Sub advice requested -
Venice Will Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I was born a rebel...so why not join the Outlaw posse'?

Question - I'm shopping for a subwoofer for our
entertainment room"...16' wide, 22' deep - the amp/preamp/speakers/HDTV monitor a set along the back 16" wall - carpet and padding over cement - walls are sheet rock over masonry bricks (does anybody in FLA use wood anymore?) - I am running a 400WPC McIntosh amp Mac preamp and Spendor S9 floorstanding speakers - the sub we're looking for will likely only be used in the Home theatre" situations, as the Spendor's already handle things quite well down to 35-40Hz. The only sub I have even HEARD recently was a klipsch (ewwww!) at Best Buy - of course, local audio dealers want to hook me into their $2000 Mirage or VonSchwiekert moidels...no thank you! So, what model Outlaw sub am looking for that will give me some nice, tight bass slam on the lower regions ans still be reasonably fast to recover so as not to sound "muddy" with constant bass overwhelming the entire sound track?

Thanks...I have LOTS of auido equipment knowledge, but not in THIS sub-region...

#17552 - 03/24/08 05:35 PM Re: Outlaw Sub advice requested -
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My room is similar in size to yours, although not quite as robust (wood framing and a crawlspace below), and I've got the original LFM-1 in my space. It does a very nice job, and integrates well with my Paradigm Studio/60's (which likely get down about as low as your Spendor S9's). No muddy sound and no "hey, look, I'm a sub over here in the corner!" sense that you can get from some subs that don't integrate well, but enough muscle to give strong bass performance.

If I were shopping for a sub for my room right now, I'd probably be looking at either the LFM-1 Compact (similar low frequency extension as my LFM-1 with about 3dB less maximum output due to the smaller driver) or the LFM-1 Plus (same basica design as my LFM-1, but with the ability to plug one port and get extension down to around 18Hz. Both are on sale at the moment, it looks like.

#17553 - 03/24/08 06:28 PM Re: Outlaw Sub advice requested -
Venice Will Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the input - gathering as much as I can since there's no "in home trial"

anybody else wanna "chime in...???"

#17554 - 03/25/08 02:26 AM Re: Outlaw Sub advice requested -
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Venice Will,
I have played w/ the LMF-1 Plus. It can kick it when required or play nice by adding the lower harmonics to a stand up string bass in Jazz music.
It did not disappoint w/ music - jazz/blues, old school, organs....
Really came thru on movies. You will discover a new dimension w/ movies.
Beware - the sub has some size and weight. this is not a bad thing just fyi.

This sub blew right past a B&W 10" (5 years old)powered sub it replaced.
Myself and several other audio-movies geeks really where/are impressed.

good sub hunting......

#17555 - 03/25/08 12:49 PM Re: Outlaw Sub advice requested -
Venice Will Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks bro' - I'm leanin' toward the LFM-1 Plus....greater weight in presentation makes the whole experience of the bass more "effortless' and I think I'll gain greater response control as well -

hey, don't these puppies come in any other colors..? or just b l a c k? eek

#17556 - 03/25/08 01:48 PM Re: Outlaw Sub advice requested -
gonk Offline
Desperado

Oh, there are lots of choices... There's black, there's there's extremely dark gray (which looks just like black), there's "Outlaw white" (which also looks like like black), and I think they also make black.

Sarcasm aside, it's just black... smile

#17557 - 03/25/08 01:54 PM Re: Outlaw Sub advice requested -
Venice Will Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

well....I guess I should have a "Harley Room" instead of a "Colorado room"....maybe I'll dress it up in a nice earthtone sock!

#17558 - 03/25/08 04:00 PM Re: Outlaw Sub advice requested -
gonk Offline
Desperado

That could actually be sort of cool if done right, and since the business end (driver and ports) is mainly on the bottom, it could be done without interfering with much - just need a cut-out at the back for the amp connections, and I'd probably leave the entire face of the amp uncovered just in case it wants to use that metal surface for heat rejection. Of course, it could also be rather disturbing if done "wrong" (visions of knitted pink hats over subwoofers - shudder)...

#17559 - 03/25/08 11:28 PM Re: Outlaw Sub advice requested -
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Glad I ran across this post.
I currently own the JL AUDIO Fathom 113. I have this sub located in the rear of my home theater room. The manual said that that location is NOT the ideal location, however I went with how the sound effected me and not what the manual said and it all worked out. Sounds great. Everyone that has heard my new B&W's with this monster bass is impressed.

What I am thinking about doing is buying another subwoofer. Speaking to people who have a two sub setup and listening to one had me very well impressed.
Now of course, I do not or could not afford another Fathom so I am considering Outlaws compact LFM-1 subwoofer for the front of my home theater. The size would be perfect. I am trying to round out the soundstage of bass in my room.

I am not sure if it would be the right sub. Not the Outlaw but the Outlaw LFM-1. My room is twenty-five long by eight foot wide at the scene and eleven and a half feet at the back of the room with a seven foot ceiling.

I would appreciate any feed back.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#17560 - 03/26/08 12:04 PM Re: Outlaw Sub advice requested -
gonk Offline
Desperado

Your room has about the same volume as my old living room, where I had an SVS 25-31PCi as my sub. The LFM-1 Compact's specs are not too much different from the old 25-31PCi (maybe a few dB less output, but the same basic frequency response). Having it paired with a Fathom would seem to me like a workable approach for smoothing out the overall in-room response. The Fathom will probably be on its own for the really low stuff (I'm thinking that it has a lower -3dB point, although I don't have the specs in front of me to say how much lower), but for a great deal of the LFE domain the two would be able to share the load.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts