Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15999 - 06/03/06 12:11 PM Hi-Def DVRs: anybody have experience or knowledge
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
I looked up some HiDEF DVR's including RCA and Panasonic. Just wondering if anyone has some experience or knowledge about these.

Besides recording from the TV tuner via firewire and I guess playback via same, I believe some or all will allow non-hi-def recording, so they would probably have composite, S-Video and RCA analog audio, and perhaps optical or coax digital I/O.
T.I.A.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#16000 - 06/03/06 02:26 PM Re: Hi-Def DVRs: anybody have experience or knowledge
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Here is a link to the newest that I could find in the RCA product line RCA DVR 2160

The connections are two i-links. So you can record from a TV with ilink (mine has it) and playback thru its other ilink.

However, what I would like to know abouf (if anyone has any ideas) is whether one currently exists wherein you could record the HI-DEF and (a) record to HI-DEF DVD [probably doesn't exist yet for consumers] or (b) put the Hi-Def from its hard drive to a DVD-R. Why do this? Well I found that there is (for example) on Maine Public Broadcastingf (and probably same elsewhere) Channel 10 (analog), Channel 10.1 (digital with same programming as 10.1 and not hi-def). And then there is 10.2 which is Hi-Def and different programming from 10.1 So it would be nice to burn a DVD-R from the 10.2 programming since it is different.

Particularly of interest is the Ramsey Lewis-hosted program LEGENDS OF JAZZ
Would be nice to archive this.

Ideas/directions: appreciated.
TIA
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer

#16001 - 08/02/06 09:32 PM Re: Hi-Def DVRs: anybody have experience or knowledge
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
I have the DirecTV Tivo HD DVR and really like it, although the amount of HD channels on DirecTV is currently kind of limited.

Had the Comcast Motorola HD DVR and pretty much hated it. Had problems with sound cutting out every now and again (at least twice in a 30 minute program), one died on me completely and the interface just sucks booty.

#16002 - 08/02/06 09:40 PM Re: Hi-Def DVRs: anybody have experience or knowledge
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

BloggingITGuy wrote:

the amount of HD channels on DirecTV is currently kind of limited

Right. Same problem on dishnetwork, which is what we have here. Limited # of HD channels. The only off-air HD is Public TV. Dish has a HD DVR, but like TIVO they charge you "for the privilege of being able to record programs" and watch later. I can't tolerate that, and it's not about the few dollars per month. mad mad mad

Right now we have dish model 721's which have built in hard drive recorders...non HiDef. I like to record movies and musical programs. When I get around to it I put them on DVD. That is what I would like to do with HiDef recorder hard drive recorder...then put it on DVD, which I guess would be Blu Ray....if that comes to market for consumers at a reasoble price.
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV

My "Man-cave":
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer

#16003 - 08/10/06 02:24 PM Re: Hi-Def DVRs: anybody have experience or knowledge
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I personally have a Model 622 from Dish Network and I love it. There has also been talk about supporting an external HD for additional archived storage so you don't have to delete stuff when the main HD gets full, however, it isn't available yet.

There is a company called Nextcom that can legally mod your satellite or cable receiver provided that you own the unit. The mod allows you to be able to transfer HD content in HD from your receiver to a PC which you can then transfer to whatever media you like.

I know this doesn't solve the issue with having to pay extra for the right to record stuff because you're still paying for your sat or cable service, but it does allow you to archive Hi-Def recorded content.

If you want to check it out you can go HERE

NOTE: I have no personal experience with this mod, however, one of the guys that posts regularly in the St. Louis HD AVS Forum has one and loves it.

EDIT: I guess I was leaving it up to you to assume that I meant you could off load Hi-Def content and not just SD stuff. I've adjusted my post above accordingly.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM