Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#16125 - 08/07/06 08:40 PM Cable TV Amplifier
kgt Offline
Gunslinger

Does anyone have any experience with Cable TV Amplifiers such as this one from Radio Shack?

I'm trying to get a better standard def picture.

Cheers.

#16126 - 08/07/06 08:53 PM Re: Cable TV Amplifier
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I used one a number of years ago (also from Radio Shack, in fact) and it seemed to work fairly well. In our current house, however, weak signal problems led to a number of service calls from Time Warner because the cable modem couldn't keep a connection and the digital cable boxes were having trouble as well. The cable company ended up providing their own booster for me. Thirty bucks may well be worth it to save the hassle of dealing with a service call from your cable company, but if it doesn't get you where you need to be you might consider that recourse. Unless the signal needs boosting because you've split the signal yourself a bunch of times, you can make a pretty reasonable case for them to get your signal strength up to where it belongs.

#16127 - 08/08/06 02:51 PM Re: Cable TV Amplifier
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
I'm with Gonk, as long as your cable runs are as you've set up with the cable company (i.e., you paid for 3 TV drops and that's how it's split). The amplifier in question could probably be split 3 ways and still see a benefit. There are no specs, so I'll assume that bi-directional means it has a 5-42MHz return path for digital cable/modem.

If you're running to more rooms than that, you'll need to look into a distribution amplifier built for the number of cable drops you have.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts