Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15770 - 03/28/06 12:08 PM Pipe organ CD's
cedman1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago
I'm looking for a/some Pipe organ CD's and wanted to know what others thoughts were on the ones that are available?

Any help appreciated.

#15771 - 03/28/06 01:19 PM Re: Pipe organ CD's
R. Mackey Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: L.A.
Here's a few. Except where noted, these are solo organ recordings:

Michael Murray is a good place to start, e.g. "Organ Blaster" on Telarc, which is an introductory sampler of solos and orchestral pieces. His other recordings tend to be over-processed but reliable. He also appears on hybrid SACD if that's an option for you, "Dupre, Franck, Widor at St. Sulpice" (Telarc SACD-60516) is excellent.

My best Widor No. 5 is David Hill at Westminster, Hyperion records.

A favorite organ vs. orchestra piece is Simon Preston and the London Symphony Orchestra playing Francis Poulenc, the second half of a 2-CD set, "Messiaen: Turanglia Symphony etc." on EMI Classics.

For a more raw, sparkling baroque sound, "Orgelwerke Norddeutscher Meister" by Robert Kobler on Edel / Berlin Classics is highly recommended.

Many others on high-resolution surround. The best I've heard is "In Spiritum: Olivier Latry plays Cesar Franck" on Deutsche Grammophon. This is also a CD / SACD hybrid.

eta: spelling

#15772 - 03/28/06 01:51 PM Re: Pipe organ CD's
cedman1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago
Thanks for the response this list looks like a great place to start. smile

#15773 - 04/21/06 10:59 PM Re: Pipe organ CD's
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
Over a year ago there was a Rip-and-Pass thread here started by an old Outlaw named soundhound(haven't heard anything from him in a long time) I have those original recordings and they are some of the best demo material I have in my collection. They spread so fast and far that they recieved mention in a popular HT mag. I miss soundhounds post. Does anyone know why he left?

Lasher

#15774 - 04/22/06 10:14 AM Re: Pipe organ CD's
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Great CD's, but I think the thread was deleted because the organist apparently asked that the distribution be stopped. It always tickles me to see somebody reviewing a new subwoofer and using a track from those discs. I went looking for soundhound recently - 'hound has quit posting on forums (here and elsewhere) due to some frustrations he had. It's a real shame, because he was a great resource and a neat guy. If you're lurking, 'hound, know that you're missed. smile

#15775 - 05/05/06 01:05 AM Re: Pipe organ CD's
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Soundhound also has been very busy with his career, which is another reason why he hasn't posted for awhile.

But if you can find someone with his recording of organ music, I agree that it is one of the finest recordings of that instrument you'll ever hear. Listening to it in his studio -- with those massive stereo subwoofers -- is phenomenal.

#15776 - 05/05/06 07:35 AM Re: Pipe organ CD's
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Long time no see, bob. I'm glad to hear that business is going well for soundhound.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts