Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14720 - 02/19/05 06:49 AM In Ceiling Speakers
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
We just installed a screen porch off the back of our house. I wired it for in ceiling speakers. Now I'm would appreciate anyones advice for a good in ceiling speaker for back ground sound. TIA Jim

#14721 - 02/19/05 04:55 PM Re: In Ceiling Speakers
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
that is kind of like asking what everyone's favorite color is... everyone around here has their favorite speaker brand(s), but they will be varied. there is no consensus on who makes the best speaker... especially not for the buck... depending on your intended use, id buy the cheapest thing i could that sounds decent. if you are going to listen to them a lot, then id spend a little more and get something pretty good.

#14722 - 02/19/05 05:43 PM Re: In Ceiling Speakers
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
It doesn't hurt to ask. This way he can have some starting points that at least someone into audio likes. It gives him a name to look at and he can go from there.

#14723 - 02/19/05 09:35 PM Re: In Ceiling Speakers
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

I understand how speaker choice is personal preferance. The reason I ask for advice is there are so many brands out there other's personal experiances may help to narrow down my choices. Also, someone may have information on speakers, like Outlaw products, giving me a huge bang for the buck!

#14724 - 02/20/05 11:30 AM Re: In Ceiling Speakers
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

From what I'm picturing; the porch is open to the outside temperatures and humidity. I would find speakers that have cone material that will be comfortable in a harsher environment. Boston Acoustics have nice ceiling speakers, I don't know if they have ones that are able to be used on the exterior.

#14725 - 02/20/05 11:51 AM Re: In Ceiling Speakers
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
a few companies make marine speakers, you could slap those puppies in there.

if you live at the beach, then id say marine speakers are a must. otherwise get something cheap seeing as they wont last forever. nothing will last outside as long as inside, but mounted in the ceiling isnt really a "harsh" environment, so you could get away with normal in wall speakers...

my brand(s) of choice is polk audio (good value and good sound) or b&w (bad value and good sound). i have used and demoed polk audio's ceiling speakers and they sound pretty much like their other speakers "IF" they are boxed in as recommended by polk...

#14726 - 02/20/05 12:35 PM Re: In Ceiling Speakers
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

The porch is enclosed. The only enviromental variable they will face is temperature change as the porch right now is unheated. I've listened to the Boston Acoustic ceiling speakers and like the way they sound. Boxing the speakers in isn't an option having already installed the finish ceiling. The wires were run before hand. Thanks for the input and if anyone has any opinions please share them with me. Jim

#14727 - 02/20/05 11:25 PM Re: In Ceiling Speakers
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montgomery, TX
Boston Acoustics makes a nice outdoor speaker that is the same as their indoor one except that it is in an outdoor enclosure. I've got them and they sound good. The one drawback is that they would not mount in your ceiling, but attach to it. They are rectangular looking.

#14728 - 02/21/05 12:35 AM Re: In Ceiling Speakers
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I have installed about 20 pairs of different "In wall/ceiling" speakers. The locations have varied from outside porch to HT surrounds. For sound quality in the house I liked the Niles High Def series and the NHT In Walls. A step down to me was the Polks, Klipsch and Bostons and far below them are no name brands from Home Depot/Lowes. I think they are all over priced compared to a boxed speaker but you are paying for a specific function. For outside background music I would get the lowest cost ones I could find, save the extra $$$ for a location where you can reap the benefit.

#14729 - 02/22/05 02:24 AM Re: In Ceiling Speakers
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
In the most bang for your buck catagory, there is an internet only speaker company, with a 30 day trial just like Outlaw, www.HTD.com . I use their High Definition in-wall speakers as rear surrounds along with the Level Three Towers and center channel. I had been using NHT Super One's and wanted to upgrade to tower speakers, but didn't have a lot of cash.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts