Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#14609 - 01/22/05 09:00 PM Lost in Video signal terms...
Scott R. Burns Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
I am having a great deal of problem understanding the difference between YCbCr/YPbPr or Y'Cb'Cr and Y'Pb'Pr. There are so many conflicting definitions of these on the net, lots of posts with people fighting with each other. I am having problems with compatibility between my projector/950/DVD player and I am looking at a new DVD player that I want to make sure will work before I shell out the $.

Can anyone point me to a site which defines the difference between the two, how progressive scan fits into the mix etc. Something of authority with people who know what they are talking about ?
Thanks
Scott...

#14610 - 01/27/05 01:51 PM Re: Lost in Video signal terms...
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
Okay. I'll at least chime in with some suggestions that may or may not be helpful. You might be able to find something at Secrets of Home Theater.

I may just be stupid, but I wasn't aware of differing component formats. I thought component video was component video.

As for a DVD player, I personally have a Denon 1910 which works great for me. (Has Component and DVI video output, but no multi-channel audio.) The 2910 and 3910 support both DVD-Audio and SACD. They all 3 have a Faroudja video processor, however the 1910's is a different model from it's bigger brothers. (I'm quite happy with it using a 62" LCoS TV.) Oh yeah. The 1910 is about half the cost ($250) of the 2910.

I hope some of this helps.

#14611 - 01/28/05 07:10 PM Re: Lost in Video signal terms...
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
The January '05 issue of Stereophile's Ultimate AV magazine has a nice primer on video. It covers different display technology but I don't recall if it addresses your particular question about component connections. I don't have the issue at hand.

I tend to agree with kugumby about there not being any difference between the two examples you gave. Component video is a relatively new connection standard and as such has had many names applied to it before it became more universally accepted. Some manufacturers used their own trade names as well (i.e. Toshiba called their component connections ColorStream and the progressive implementation ColorStream Pro). The main thing is don't confuse component connections with RGB, they are definitely not the same.

Perhaps if you list the model numbers of your gear we might be able to help you out with any specific compatibility issues you may be experiencing.

#14612 - 01/31/05 09:10 PM Re: Lost in Video signal terms...
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Here's a TV and Video glossary . In it they acknowledge the interchangeability of the various names for component video but also state that Y/Cb/Cr is more correctly used to describe a digital component connection. I also stand corrected in that RGB is technically a form of component video. However, the two types are not compatible with each other and should not be confused.

Hope this helps.

#14613 - 02/01/05 12:50 AM Re: Lost in Video signal terms...
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I'm not an expert, but I do use component connections from a Sony DVD carousel and Motorola 9012 DVR to the Outlaw's component switching and then to the Output device. I use good quality Outlaw PSC cables and have not had a problem.

Are you using component switching through the Outlaw?

With a projector there is a stonger possibility of signal loss, what is the length from source to end?

What are the problems you are experiencing? I doubt that component connection compatability is one of them.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts