Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14484 - 12/28/04 12:17 AM Speaker Questions...HELP, Please!
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
I am starting to get into Home Theater but also want to listen to music. I am champing at the bit to get either a 950/7100 combo or if I can wait (yeah, right!) a 1070 receiver...looking at speakers and thinking of the following and would like to know your thoughts, likes and dislikes...thanks,

Klipsch F-3 Synergy system...Best Buy Klipschs

Klipsch Reference RF-35 system...Better Klipschs?!

Ascend Acoustic CBM-170 system...Better Buy!

Magneppan MMGW system...Great buy but I am not sure my room (weird wall, half walls, not perfect set up) will be able to take full advantage of these speakers.

Your thoughts???
Thanks,
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#14485 - 12/28/04 07:38 AM Re: Speaker Questions...HELP, Please!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Speakers are often a very personal preference. As such, it is always good for the speaker shopping process to include some time listening to each speaker. I would recommend taking some of your own music - CD's that you are familiar with - and using them to demo each set. There are folks around here using all three brands that you are considering, so they can probably offer you some more suggestions.

#14486 - 12/28/04 07:50 AM Re: Speaker Questions...HELP, Please!
Eddie Horton Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I agree with Gonk about the subjective nature of speaker preferences, but as an owner of Ascend Acoustics speakers, I will say that they are a tremendous speaker at a great price. I have the CMT-340's for L,C,R and CBM-170's for surrounds, and don't think I could have done any better for the price. In fact, after listening to many other speakers, I would have had to spend quite a bit more.

#14487 - 12/28/04 10:25 AM Re: Speaker Questions...HELP, Please!
silversport Offline
Desperado

I agree about the subjectiveness but...I have listened to the 2 Klipsch speakers and liked them...that said, I canno listen to the ascends unless I order them...same goes for the maggies...my thoughts are that perhaps some of you may have this combo and know if these speakers sound good with the Outlaw stuff.
I apologize for my ignorance but I was under the impression that some speakers don't match well with certain amps, receivers and processors...I have asked similar questions over on the Klipsch Forum but have gotten little to no feedback.
When I checked the thread on what speakers are you using...I thought I saw Klipsch, Ascend Acoustics and Magnepan...so for this, I guess I feel a bit better.
Problem is, of the speakers I can listen to, I can never hear these speakers driven by Outlaw Audio stuff since I don't have it...YET! ;-)
I hope to very soon as the only thing I am pretty locked on is the 950/7100/LFM-1 combo unless I get more positive feedback on the upcoming 1070.
Thanks for your help.
Bill

#14488 - 12/28/04 11:59 AM Re: Speaker Questions...HELP, Please!
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

I personally think the biggest impact in a system is the speakers and the subwoofer. All the other components will only colour a sound system slightly. Ahh, but the speakers. That is the heart and soul of your sound.
As mentioned, speakers are very subjective. I found my sweet spot in a complete diy package, including subwoofer. I was fortunate.
I say true.

#14489 - 12/28/04 06:55 PM Re: Speaker Questions...HELP, Please!
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
Gonk is on the money!!!

Speaker's are strictly a preference thing. It really is what kind of sound you personally are looking for and what you are willing to spend to attain as close to that sound as possible. If I were you I would check out the reviews for as many models in your price range as possible and audition as many of them as you can. For the internet models, Axiom and Onix in particular, I would try to find someone that has a pair or do the home audition.

I would then narrow it down to 3-5 models that really made an impression on me and then bring 3 music based discs and one DVD film that I am familiar with.

The CD/SACD/DVD-A disc's would be 1 live music, 1 acoustic/Jazz and 1 piano based. The film should be an Action film with lots of effects, explosions and dialogue intermingled in between.

For live, my test disc has always been Xanadu by Rush (track 9 on exit stage left) this paricular track will really test a speakers transperency and its ability to throw a soundstage. It will also give you a good idea of how this speaker will do with voice reproduction, especially with a voice as unique as Geddy Lee's.

For acoustic/jazz I recommend Blue Notes "The Definitive John Coltrane." If you can hear Coltrane actually take a breath before his notes and work the reed on the sax, than your speakers are revealing and the system is clean.

A piano disc is another good way to test a speakers clarity, but more importantly its tonal balance. "For Elise" by Beethoven is a good one for this, also almost any Billy Joel and/or Elton John piano heavy tune will work pretty well.

For the DVD the more Dialogue during explosions the better. I recomend X2 (X Men United), Master and Commander, SW Episode II, Saving Private Ryan, you get the picture.

Have fun my friend and take your time!!!

#14490 - 12/29/04 02:17 AM Re: Speaker Questions...HELP, Please!
silversport Offline
Desperado

Thanks for the responses! I have my work cut out for me.
Bill

#14491 - 12/29/04 12:13 PM Re: Speaker Questions...HELP, Please!
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: vienna, va usa
If you want your system to play music well, you may want to spend more on the LR then the Surrounds. Even in multi channel music, bulk of the music is still in LR. And of course, you still have stereo music. C is also critical for dialogs in movies. I would spend more on LRC and "skimp" a little on the surrounds (2 or 4).

#14492 - 12/29/04 01:35 PM Re: Speaker Questions...HELP, Please!
silversport Offline
Desperado

Thanks!
Bill

#14493 - 12/29/04 01:42 PM Re: Speaker Questions...HELP, Please!
silversport Offline
Desperado

...A problem I keep running into is that I find speakers that I can buy, perhaps just above my "pain threshold" pricewise but then I say..."for JUST a bit more...I can get these!" It is driving me nuts...As there is not a Klipsch Reference store very close to me and I DO have to work ;-)...I rely on the "experts" and they come in many faces...just when I think I have something wrapped up...another thing clouds it.
I need help!
Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts