Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#14408 - 12/18/04 12:05 PM What to do, RR2150 or 950 debate
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
My folks are looking at getting a new stereo setup for their front room, and naturally they looked to me to help out with this. I've come up with a couple ideas, but I'm not sure which way to go. Since it's right before Christmas, my head is spinning with all kinds of things, not really helping much.

What they are looking for is a fairly basic setup for their front room to play CD's and radio. No TV out here and they're not worried about DVD-Audio or SACD. The current setup is rather old and it's not very good, so most anything I suggest will be much better than what they have now. The current setup does span into two rooms (that room and the bedroom), but I'm not sure if they really want it that way. I don't like it and I don't think my mother is sold on it. My dad likes it now, but he's a stone wall that has the ability to flip itself overnight, if you know what I mean. Having a simpler CD player and a display that works so they can use the radio is the biggest things they are looking for. Not too hard to please.

I have two solutions for them, only one of which I've said so far. The first one (what I've told them) is to wait for the RR2150 to come out and get that for the main unit. Then to get a decent CD player to go with it (I'd help pick it out). This setup would be much better than most any complete unit they'd pick up in a store. I don't know if my dad was paying attention, but my mom is turning this over in her mind. She wanted a black unit, but I may be able to sell her on the silver.

The other solution I have (which I've told no one yet) is for me to pick up a 950 and another M200 for my setup. Then they could have my receiver out front and still pick up a CD player, like before. My receiver is a Marantz SR6200, so it's a decent unit. This would give them a good reciever, a good CD player, plus it would allow me to make an upgrade to my setup.

The difficult part is that it would be more expensive. I only thought this second idea up after I saw how cheap the 950 had become. I'd love to purchase the pre/pro that Outlaw is making for the future, but I honestly don't know if I will be able to afford it. I'd really hate to wait and miss out on such a killer deal because it sounds like the 950 could be phased out by then. Then I'd be stuck as I'd really like to have more Outlaw stuff.

As for speakers, either way they could just use the Bose 301's I'm using for surrounds right now. I know they're not the best, but they are much better than anything my parents would pick up on their own. I'm not too worried about losing surround in my setup because IMO there is a fairly obvious difference in the sound of those and the front speakers I have. So if they got the RR2150, my setup would be exactly the same, minus the Bose. If I got the 950 and the M200 (for the center) I would have that plus the pair of M200's I already have powering the mains.

Either way I lose the surrounds, but I'm not too worried at the moment. I was looking to upgrade eventually anyway. The surrounds aren't even true surrounds at this time because they aren't even straight to the side, let alone behind because of the room layout. Modifying the room is out of the question, so let's just allow this to lie where it is for now.

The advantages the 950 would give me are the obvious sonic and useability ones that you guys probably all know about already (and I don't need to bore you with), plus the trigger control for the M200's. This would give me more options on turning the M200's on and off as my reciever does not have trigger outlets. The music sensing does not quite seem to be working as well as some of us would like. This can be looked at in the M200 section if so desired. If the trigger didn't work directly I could use it to trip a power strip instead. So to review my setup, it would have the 950, 3 M200s, and the mains & center channel.

One last thing, for either setup, radio is a big thing. I'm not sure how the radio antenae's hookup. I see the plug in the back and I can manage that, but in the manuals for radio I see a wire running to the cable antennae on the roof. Is this what must be done for FM? Is it possible to just get an antennae for indoors? Can it be connected to the cable coming in with the TV signal? This isn't something I've ever been concerned with, so I don't really know much about. My receiver has a small AM antennae, but I've never really used it. The receiver is supposed to have exceptional radio reception, so that would be nice for them to have.

Anybody have thoughts or comments on this? Would it be worth it for me to spend the extra money now? Outlaw would be getting good business either way. Money permitting, I could later use the 950 for controlling a setup for the rest of the house later on and use the not released yet released one for the HT eventually. I don't think I'd have to get it right away.

Wow this is a long post. eek

#14409 - 12/18/04 12:36 PM Re: What to do, RR2150 or 950 debate
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The RR2150 would be a nice unit for what they are looking for - I don't think they would go wrong there. On the other hand, you could go the 950 route now, no waiting required, and the new price is pretty inviting. Either route seems like a good approach.

The 950 comes with a simple FM antenna that can be tacked up on the wall or (as I've done) the back of the entertainment center - you don't need an outdoor antenna. Same for the AM antenna, although the AM antenna is a wire wrapped around a rectangular plastic frame. The RR2150 will come with similar antennas, I'm sure. Your Marantz may have come with a similar set of antennas. If not, or if they have disappeared, I suspect you could track down replacements at Radio Shack.

#14410 - 12/18/04 01:28 PM Re: What to do, RR2150 or 950 debate
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

The Marantz had the AM antannae (which is a square), but I don't recall ever having the FM. A radio shack one probably would work well, unless I just gave them the one that would be included in the 950. I wouldn't have a need for it right now. Then I could pick up my own later if I wanted to. They would want the antennae right away. The Marantz unit is a nice looking black too. Decisions, decisions...

Oh, this wouldn't be done right away, btw. This would be closer to one (or both) of their birthdays (Feb & Mar). Not for Christmas. I'd probably get the 950 soon (if I decide to go that way) as I'd hate to decide on that route and then end up not getting it because they're out or whatever. That's more the reason I'm asking now. It doesn't really have so much to do with me figuring out a Christmas present for them as I've already spent way too much. smile

#14411 - 12/19/04 04:43 PM Re: What to do, RR2150 or 950 debate
jeffdavis Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Columbia, SC
JT,

I've started writing this response a couple of times and always ended up erasing it and starting again. I was trying to give lots of justification for my opinion, but I give up. Here is what I think and why think it:

Get the 950 and pass your Marantz on to your folks. The chances are that you will get greater benefit from the 950 than your parents would from the RR2150. I got the impression that they would mostly use it for background music when they are in their front room. Plus I'd bet that your Marantz produces a pretty decent sound that they'd appreciate. This would provide both of you with an upgrade in sound, thus benefitng the most people for the money. And if your parents wish to have even better sound, they can take the money that they would have had to spend on the RR2150 and put it toward better speakers. If you feel guilty after doing this, and you shouldn't, invite the folks over for "movie night" so that they can enjoy both upgrades.

Jeff
LR: ARC Reference 1 | Emotiva XPR-2 | Music Hall MMF2.2 | Oppo BDP-83SE | Polk XRt12 XM Receiver | Emotiva XDA-1 DAC | Sony HAP-S1 (digital audio player) | Sansui TU-217 Tuner | Magnepan 3.6R w/Mye-Stands | SVS SB-16 sub | BA VR-M90s | Audio Quest 72db speaker cable
Office: Drobo 5N running as PLEX media server
Closet: too many pieces to put all into place, I need more rooms smile

#14412 - 12/19/04 05:23 PM Re: What to do, RR2150 or 950 debate
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

That's what I'm thinking jeff. I think the big thing right now is the money I will be spending. Mostly if it would be worth it to do the second option over the first. More so for me than them as they'll enjoy either one quite a bit.

Just so you guys know, I would still be helping out quite a bit with spending for the RR2150. I'd just end up spending more for option 2, but I'd get something for myself as well. They say they want to upgrade to something nice, but the few units they've shown me aren't any better than what they have now except that display works on those units. I think they would be a step backwards in some ways as they would have less output and noticeably reduced low-end. They don't need terribly loud, but I just don't think it's good for the unit if they have to keep it up near max volume all the time.

#14413 - 12/19/04 06:58 PM Re: What to do, RR2150 or 950 debate
ScottH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY, USA
According to the threads I've read here, the RR2150 is going to be around $600. A 950 and an M200 will cost you about $1000.

You say in your post that they'll be indifferent to your receiver or the 2150, so that's a wash. Will you get $400 of enjoyment out of this upgrade? It’s your call, but I think you probably will.

If they do discontinue the 950, you can buy one used for under $600. But, here's something I've been thinking about--I don't think they're going to discontinue the 950 anytime soon:

We know that the 970 is going to have balanced outputs. And it's going to be priced substantially higher than the 950's initial price of $899. To me that is at least $1000, probably more like $1200. And Outlaw says the balanced inputs are a major reason for the price increase. Having one pre/pro at $700 and one at $1200 seems like it is a reasonable product line.

But there’s more: I would guess that a minority of current Outlaw owners do not have balanced inputs on their amps (certainly all Outlaw amp owners don't have them).

I will eventually consider upgrading my 950 for Dolby Pro Logic IIx and DVI/HDMI video switching. But, one of the reasons I went with separates in the first place was to keep my amps next time I upgrade my pre/pro. And there's no way I'm gonna buy new amps, or pay a lot for XLR outs which I can't use.

So I think there’s still life to the 950. And if they added PLIIx and digital video switching in a “951”, there’s still room in their product line for it and the 970.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread a bit.

#14414 - 12/19/04 08:11 PM Re: What to do, RR2150 or 950 debate
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

No reason to worry about hijacking there. Personal examples can be a big help. smile

My concern with discontinuing comes from the 1050 being discontinued. It's much less expensive than the 1070 that is coming out, but its production was still stopped.

XLR would be cool, but that looks like it will have to wait quite a while as both the new pre-amp and amp would be awfully expensive for me, even with Outlaw prices. Also, SH seems to be more against using it in many applications, including mine.

I'm not as concerned with the video switching and DVI/HDMI because I'd only have one DVI/HDMI unit (DVD player) in the forseeable future and that probably won't be for some time yet either. That could go straight to the TV, too. I don't see a problem with running everything else through the S-video (or even components if I get something else with that) as that looks pretty good already.

I think the big thing is still me trying to stomach the 4 digit price tag for it. I think they would give me the same amount of money whichever way we go, but it still stings seeing that much on a credit card bill. Once I hit that much something just says, "Wow, maybe I should stop for a sec and take another look at what I'm doing." I think the investment would be worth $400 for me, it's just that I have to spend so much other money along with that $400 at the same time that gets to me. frown smile

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts