Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13490 - 06/28/04 09:38 AM accoustic calibration tools/software.
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: vienna, va usa
I need help from the resident pros and the semi-pros. I have used AVIA for home theater with my 7.1 system run by 950 with good result.

I need something like that for my 2 channel system with subwoofer(s). I have gone to actively crossing over and need a software/hardware system for feedback on dialing in x-over frequency, placement, etc. Only other tools I have is an anolog sound meter from Radio Shack and an old "pro" quality microphone with standard stereo plug.

#13491 - 06/28/04 10:05 AM Re: accoustic calibration tools/software.
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
TrueRTA spectrum analysis software is about the best option you can get. I use it with my Gateway laptop computer and it gives excellent 1/24th octave resolution. Go for the full version that costs a reasonable $99.

www.trueaudio.com

Behringer makes an excellent measurement microphone:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=...ase_pid/270400/

You will need a preamp that supplies 48 volt phantom power to power the microphone. Musicians Friend also carries several of these, made by M-Audio and others. The M-Audio preamps feature USB connections that can go right into your computer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=...ase_pid/701368/

This setup will give you very close to full professional RTA analysis capability. The TureRTA software generates the necessary pink noise and discrete test tones, and it also has an ocilloscope feature.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited June 28, 2004).]

#13492 - 06/28/04 12:10 PM Re: accoustic calibration tools/software.
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Soundhound,

Went and ordered all the parts. This will be alot of fun playing with this new toy. Thanks for the information.

#13493 - 06/28/04 12:19 PM Re: accoustic calibration tools/software.
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by threers:
Soundhound,

Went and ordered all the parts. This will be alot of fun playing with this new toy. Thanks for the information.

Wow, that was fast! Enjoy!!

BTW, if you don't have one, you should get a microphone stand with a boom attachment for the mic (you'll need the boom if you want to get really low to the floor or right next to a speaker driver). I think you might even be able to pick one up at RadioShack. Musician's friend will certainly have these too. You don't need anything expensive at all, just something to hold the mic. Don't forget the cable for the mic too - I think it uses a standard XLR microphone cable.

#13494 - 06/29/04 08:38 AM Re: accoustic calibration tools/software.
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Wow, Musician's Friend shipped the same day and all the parts including cable and boom stand will arrive tomorrow. I already have the software downloaded. Sub arrives today to join the x-over and cables already here. I almost wish I could cancel the vacation which starts this Saturday

Wouldn't that be a bad long term move with the wife!

#13495 - 06/29/04 12:46 PM Re: accoustic calibration tools/software.
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I hope your wife likes the sound of pink noise - she's gonna be hearing a lot of it...

Now....could I interest you in a set of stereo subwoofers???

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000250.html

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited June 29, 2004).]

#13496 - 06/29/04 04:04 PM Re: accoustic calibration tools/software.
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Soundhound,

I have heard from others in Audio Circle forum (for VMPS speakers which are what I have) that advocates stereo subs as well. I am thinking that I will eventually go two when finance and room logistics can be worked out with the wife factor thrown in.

My home theater is totally separate from 2 channel music room and this sub is for music only. My plan is to run 2 main speakers with one subwoofer at the moment. This is a VMPS Larger sub which has 1 12"driver, 1 15"driver and a slot loaded 15" passive radiator. Since each driver can be driven separately I was going to input left channel to one and right to the other. I am not sure how the 2 drivers, which are side by side, will interact with signal time delays. At the moment I am placing the sub next to the left speaker -- logistics prohibit me from placing it in the center. I am hoping that crossing the sub at 50Hz will really delocalize it.
Two 10" woofers on the mains are doing the mid bass duty crossed at 200Hz and 50Hz (4th order). Higher than 200Hz are covered by tweeters and mids with internal passive crossover between them. I plan to experiment with location, driving method (summed or separate) and cross over frequencies for optimal sound. I suspect I will eventually get a second subwoofer, but I am running out of room. I will need to move to a bigger house if I want to keep putting more stuff in the music room. Perhaps I should go for quadraphonic sub?

#13497 - 06/29/04 04:53 PM Re: accoustic calibration tools/software.
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Get the bigger house to make room for the sound equipment.....where are your priorities, man?

#13498 - 06/30/04 12:40 PM Re: accoustic calibration tools/software.
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Soundhound,

I don't need a bigger house. I just need to toss out the guest (queen size) bed that we keep down there for the in-laws.

I started to play around with the sub and found out that you were right. No, not about the stereo sub, but remember the power supply and output upgrade on Adcom GFA 555 II. You recommended against modifying it. I did and it is not enough to drive the sub. Heck, when I switched to CJ MF-200 which should have less power, the sub came alive (to an extent).

So, I just ordered a Crown K2 amp thinking that it should be enough to drive 2 of these subwoofers when(if) I get a second one. This pro amp comes with xlr and 1/4" input. My Marchand X-over only has RCA out. Where can I get an adoptor?

#13499 - 06/30/04 02:00 PM Re: accoustic calibration tools/software.
threers Offline
Gunslinger

Got it,

I just called the store and they are going to include a pair of 3" rca to 1/4" connector.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts