Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#12938 - 05/09/04 10:23 PM calibration CDs/DVDs
tgrisham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, MO, USA
Is there one calibration disc that gives me most everything I need to calibrate audio and video for multichannel SACD/DVD-A/5.1? I hear alot of support for AVIA but I know there are others including one from Guide to Home Theater. Thanks for your opinions.

#12939 - 05/09/04 11:07 PM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
tgrisham Offline
Gunslinger

I should be more specific. I want to calibrate 2 channel with and without a sub, 5.1 DVDs and soon will want to include SACDs and DVD-As. Previous posts are somewhat dated on my search and I am looking for any new information about AVIA, VE, or Sound and Vision. Thanks.

#12940 - 05/10/04 12:02 AM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Video Essentials has been discontinued for several years, and after using my copy today I remembered how quirky the interface could be when you want to just do one thing. Its replacement - Digital Video Essentials (DVE) - finally came out last year, and from what I've heard it has a better interface. I wouldn't recommend picking up a used Video Essentials disc anymore, but DVE is the newest and may be the best bet. Others here may have some good input on AVIA, though.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#12941 - 05/10/04 08:40 AM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Chesky's Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler and 5.1 Setup Disc has the advantage of having Dolby Digital and DVD-A setup tracks. If you can set your DVD player to audio or video, you'll be able to calibrate both signal paths. It has a stereo track as well. It doesn't have a "2.1" track (stereo and sub), but it's full range and your sub will be derived from your crossover settings.

Check out http://www.chesky.com

AIX has a similar disc.

#12942 - 05/10/04 10:45 AM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

I agree with Gonk. VE had a user-hostile (bordering on user-viscious) menu structure. DVE is much improved. I've used DVE since it came out. It's got some nice features - especially on the audio side. The demo material in particular is almost worth the price of admission.

However for everyday level calibrations I find that using my 950's menu / signal is all that I need. Some would argue that it's better to calibrate all the way from the source (ie. DVD) but I've not found any real difference. With the 950 and a RS meter, it only takes a few minutes to get great results.

Jeff Mackwood

#12943 - 05/10/04 11:21 AM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
seems like i have used avia and it doesnt offer support for dvd-a, etc. or at least the version that i had didnt. digital video essentials is typically viewed as cream of the crop, but i have not used it seeing as i was only interesting in calibrating my video and avia did a fine job for that. now that i have my denon 3805 i dont have to bother much with setting up the audio, unless i merely want to tinker.

#12944 - 05/10/04 01:33 PM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
tgrisham Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you to all for your responses. Like most things, I will have to see what works for me, but you've given me great information. Thanks again.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 161 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts