Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#12781 - 03/31/04 12:58 PM Opinions on Philips Pronto TS1000?
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

My boss gave me one to see if I liked it(a reward for filling in for my supervisor who went on vacation recently). I'd like to hear some views by some fellow gunslingers. I don't have to keep it if I don't want it, and I can get a different one for around $200.
I've seen Gonk's raves about the MX500, and Bluedo.com has a package deal of a MX500 and the IR Clone programmer that looks good.
Any ideas?

------------------
The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42. But what IS the Question?

#12782 - 03/31/04 02:02 PM Re: Opinions on Philips Pronto TS1000?
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
You should check out Remote Central which has reviews of this remote and many others. I have no experience with the Pronto however I think the lack of physical buttons makes its use a little more difficult. With physical buttons you learn which buttons to press by the feel without even looking at the remote. With a touch screen I would think you would almost always need to look at the screen. I just bought a Harmony SST-659 which I really like. You can check out my review in the signature below. It cost only $130 from several online stores so you can buy a few DVD's with the extra cash. Of course the MX500 also has buttons so perhaps you would like that one as well.

------------------
Desperado - 1050 Owner - Reviews - Harmony SST-659 Remote

#12783 - 03/31/04 02:14 PM Re: Opinions on Philips Pronto TS1000?
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

desperado,
I did look at Remote Central and read the user's reviews. The LCD screen does concern me(I have a Kameleon, and having to look at the remote to press buttons can be distracting). Hovering above the buttons before pressing was mentioned as a weakness by one user of the TS1000.
Price isn't a big issue (for once), but it shouldn't be much more than $200.

Do the Harmony's PC and Internet capabilities work well?

#12784 - 03/31/04 02:31 PM Re: Opinions on Philips Pronto TS1000?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I had started to post a reply very similar to desperado's -- Remote Central's review would be an excellent place to start, and it is important for you to determine where your preference for touch screens vs. hard buttons lies. If the Kameleon's screen layout has underwhelmed you, there is a strong chance that you will prefer hard buttons such as the SST-659 and the MX-500 (or its big brother the MX-700, which offers a PC interface, greater macro capability, and twice as many screens for the buttons around the LCD display, although the MX-500/IR Clone combo actually fits within your budget a lot better).

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#12785 - 03/31/04 02:45 PM Re: Opinions on Philips Pronto TS1000?
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk,
I looked at the Pronto website and again seemed a bit underwhelmed. The idea of programming buttons w/a PC or notebook sounds great, but I keep coming back to the lack of tactile feedback(and the lack of the RS232 connector in a supposedly unopened package). I guess I'm nudging myself in a different direction.
Still want to know about the Harmony, so I'll try the Pronto, but I think I may end up asking for the MX500 with the IR Clone package.

#12786 - 03/31/04 03:07 PM Re: Opinions on Philips Pronto TS1000?
gonk Offline
Desperado

As part of your research, you might download the software that the IR Clone uses to customize the MX500 and take a spin through Harmony's site (they've got a test drive option for their web configuration interface). The MX500 can be completely configured without a PC involved, but if you are going to get the IR Clone you could also download the software demo first and see what it looks like.

All three remotes are good products. If you prefer hard buttons (as I do), I think the Harmony and MX500 are both excellent options -- probably the top two choices in the <$300 price range. For me, the MX500's ten-button LCD has allowed me to use the remote to provide full control of a number of devices (including the 950 and a DVD recorder).

------------------

#12787 - 04/01/04 02:23 PM Re: Opinions on Philips Pronto TS1000?
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I have the TS1000 and I love the thing. One of the neat features about it is that you can really customize it for yourself. (I'm sure I'm not telling you something new here, but wanted to reiterate.) Where the buttons are, their size, shape, etc.. I had fun "building" my remote. (We're all geeks at some level, are we not?) There are a TON of templates on Remote Central that you can download and use as a guide and tweak for yourself.

I can understand you wanting to have "real" buttons, but I haven't missed them. You do still have hard buttons for volume and channel control plus the two at the bottom that I use for paging through the guide screens on my Dish Network.

I give the Pronto my heartiest recommendation, however, I must admit that I have no experience with the other remotes that others feel just as strongly about.

#12788 - 04/01/04 05:36 PM Re: Opinions on Philips Pronto TS1000?
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I agree with all of the comments about checking out remote central. Just a quick point as a happy owner of an MX-700 about programmable remotes.

It has been my observation that they are a pain in the you know what unless you have your pc in the same room as your home theater setup. You need to have a live connection between the remote and the pc to effectively test macros and button configurations. If you have a laptop then the problem disappears.

Having said that, I have setup my MX-700 so its all macro driven. Pushing one button turns on my 1050, toshiba hdtv, dvd player, switches both the 1050 and hdtv to the proper input and change the hdtv format to full screen. I then have a combination of hard and soft buttons to raise and lower volume, fast forward and reverse and the like. I have similar macros for watching regular tv, hdtv and my vcr, ditto for listening to CD's and the Radio.

Finally, the kids also love it because they have a simple 3 button remote that allows them to just setup the system to watch tv.
Best of all, my wife can even use it to watch a DVD without calling me down to turn it on!

[This message has been edited by 73Bruin (edited April 01, 2004).]
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#12789 - 04/01/04 06:38 PM Re: Opinions on Philips Pronto TS1000?
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

73Bruin,
I noticed the MX700 and was intrigued by the combination of hard and soft keys.
I have a laptop, but I noticed that that MXEditor is not compatible with Windows 95.
That is a shame.
What has your experience been like with the programming on your MX700?
I still don't have the cable for the TS1000, so I haven't been able to play with the look of it yet. AARRGGHH. (Does anyone know if I can use a laptop w/Windows 95 for the prontoEdit software?)
Oh, well. Since it's a freebie, I guess I will count my self as lucky and fiddle with it some more.
Also, I just noticed on irclone.com, in order to use the software, I would need an OS I don't have. Does anyone know if I can run it on Windows 95?

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. It's forums like this that lets us geeks know we are not alone (despite whatever our significant others say).

------------------
The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42. But what IS the Question?

[This message has been edited by CBWills (edited April 01, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by CBWills (edited April 02, 2004).]

#12790 - 04/02/04 09:06 AM Re: Opinions on Philips Pronto TS1000?
gonk Offline
Desperado

IR Clone is a USB based device, and I'm not sure that Win95 ever really got USB support added to it. On the other hand, I did all of my programming of the MX500 without using a PC interface, and it was pretty straightforward.

------------------

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts