Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#12516 - 02/02/04 01:13 PM 480 dvd ???
MurphyMan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: tampa
Why is it DVD's are ripped at 480(i)or(p) with all the optical/digital input/output options available with our high end equipment?
Hasn't anyone thought about DVD players with High Def output?
What am I missing?????

#12517 - 02/02/04 02:05 PM Re: 480 dvd ???
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Ah, HD-DVD... The DVD format is built around a resolution of 480p -- adding lines requires more storage space, and the DVD format can only hold so much. There are currently two competing formats vying for the title of "HD-DVD". There's AOD (Advanced Optical Disc), which is supported by Toshiba and the DVD forum and therefore gets to actually wear the name "HD-DVD", and there's Blu-Ray, supported by most everybody else. Both use a blue laser to store more data on the same size disc -- instead of the 4.7 GB in a single layer on a DVD, they can store 15GB (AOD/HD-DVD) or 25GB (Blu-Ray). Even with more advanced compression formats, it takes that much space to store any significant amount of 720p or 1080i video.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#12518 - 02/03/04 07:52 AM Re: 480 dvd ???
MurphyMan Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks gonk, informative as always- but the big ? is: Why not "layer" a second data set on existing DVD's?
Or better yet- if the discs are getting smaller(in size)- why not keep the same size and compress more?
I assume its a technical consideration...
I'm 2 months away from finalizing my equipment rack- so the DVD player decision is heating up.

#12519 - 02/03/04 09:12 AM Re: 480 dvd ???
gonk Offline
Desperado

The HD-DVD discs are both the same physical size as a DVD and a CD (5" in diameter). The problem is that HD video is too big to fit any worthwhile amount in the 4.7GB of space offered by DVD -- both HD formats are increasing storage capacity at least 300% to make room for the higher resolution of HD content (Blu Ray actually offers five times as much storage capacity per layer). Sure, you can compress it more and make it fit, but then you'll have lots of really crummy looking lines instead of fewer good looking lines. Think of it this way: why didn't Video CD's do 480i resolution ten years ago? Because it would have required so much compression that the final product would have been worse than a lower resolution.

------------------

#12520 - 02/03/04 11:25 AM Re: 480 dvd ???
MurphyMan Offline
Gunslinger

Gotcha gonk- so let me pose another ?:
When and IF DVD's carry more info- then we should be looking at players that can handle 1080p data, which I assume aren't out there yet?The bottom line is: I get a little annoyed at searching for the perfect setup(equip), spending big $, and finding the content I am using not state of the art picture wise!
In other words- why am I spending $$ on a front projector, dedicated HT, screen, M&K 7.1 surround, 950/770 yada yada??? when all I get is 480P pictures?
BTW- don't say "thats all there is"

#12521 - 02/03/04 12:09 PM Re: 480 dvd ???
gonk Offline
Desperado

That's all there is?

Seriously, while the development of both HD-DVD formats is progressing (particularly Blu-Ray, based on what I've been hearing lately), it may be a couple more years before anything actually reaches the market and even longer before a significant library of programs is available. That 480p image (which is already several leaps ahead from the ~200i we were stuck with on VHS for so long) can offer a great picture, and it can offer the picture today. Had the industry elected to not formally adopt the DVD format until it could support 720p or 1080i video, we probably wouldn't even be here talking. The format would never have launched in '97, or some other (probably inferior) format would have taken it's place. Maybe D-VHS would have been the winner of this hardware cycle, even though it retains the limitations of tape wear, no extra features, and a lack of direct access.

One of the inherent "dangers" of the home theater hobby has always been the evolution of technology -- something that is more true today than ever before. The secret to enjoying the hobby is remembering to stop and enjoy it. Don't let yourself get overly caught up in the hardware. Get a good progressive scan player (which has become a lot easier in the last year or two) and spend the next year or three happily spinning DVD's. If you've already got a 720 or 1080 line display, you can look forward to upgrading a single component to gain full benefit of a future HD-DVD format.

------------------

#12522 - 02/03/04 03:43 PM Re: 480 dvd ???
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I posted this elsewhere but thought Murphyman might like to read about it. (Click HERE to read a good article about the competing formats.)

The Blu-ray group also ran into a bit of a snag recently with the Dept. of Justice. You can read about that HERE

I also agree with Gonk (who doesn't?) about the technolgy portion of the industry. At some point, you have to jump in the pool. Do your research, get the best value you can and then enjoy it. If you keep waiting for the newest, bigger, badder technology, that's all you'll be doing....waiting.

#12523 - 02/03/04 06:25 PM Re: 480 dvd ???
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
I've thought about what kind of video display I was going to get now that I have the 5.1 sound up and running. I'm sure other people have noticed "enhanced definition" plasmas for <$3K. The Perfect Vision review of these gizmos had a point: if all you're watching is dvd why pay for high def? OTOH, if five years down the line we'll be replacing all our software (yet again!) why not be ready with hd? (Why not? Because hi-def 16x9 displays will be dirt cheap compared to today's prices and it'll be higher quality.) What a dilemna!

Jay

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts