Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12278 - 01/01/04 09:43 AM New SPL Meter ??????
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I recieved a new Radio Shack digital SPL meter as a christmas gift. My question is what is the best way to use it? I understand how it works but in a surround system where should I sit it, what direction should I point it, How loud should I have my system? I need to know what the book does not say. Any ideas would help?

Thanks Again
Lasher

#12279 - 01/01/04 10:16 AM Re: New SPL Meter ??????
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Here's a quick blurb from the 950's manual (page 27) that might get you started.

Quote:
Set the meter to Slow response and “C” weighting. Set it to the 70 or 80dB sensitivity scale. Position the meter at the approximate center of your listening area, at average ear height [approximately 40-46 inches (102-117 cm)] with its microphone positioned vertically (pointing at the ceiling). Don’t aim the microphone at the speakers, as this will produce inaccurate results.

Once that's all done, set your system volume to a reference listening level (on the 950, that's "00" dB, but other gear will vary -- you might use a test tone on the left or right channel and set the system volume to a point where you get ~75dB). Then run through the test tones and adjust each channel's trim to produce the same reading.

There are also a few threads floating around that look at meter use pretty closely, including a lengthy debate on the merits of meters at all . (Upon briefly re-reading that thread, I had a flashback to my Experimental Techniques II lab in college, and a crazy professor who insisted that proper uncertainty analysis was foolish and that anyone could measure to within 1/64 of an inch with a ruler marked in divisions of 1/8th of an inch. He also swore that he could draw a "perfect" circle or straight line freehand. We were so glad to see him retire.)

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#12280 - 01/01/04 03:47 PM Re: New SPL Meter ??????
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Its my understanding that the analog Radio Shack SPL meter is not very accurate at low frequency's. I recall that the SVS site used to have something about how to check bass response using these meters.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#12281 - 01/01/04 06:33 PM Re: New SPL Meter ??????
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
The low frequency response of the RadioShack meter rolls off - I would be almost certain the digital version does the same thing. This does not make either of them less useful for routine calibration duties however. Like I've written many times, motion picture dubbing stages keep one of the RadioShack analog meters handy to check their levels. If it's good enough for them.......

#12282 - 01/01/04 06:39 PM Re: New SPL Meter ??????
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
And for those still searching for the ol' RS analog standard, Sears now sells a Craftsman that has the same basic innards but a new face. Not as nice a face as the original, but gets the job done.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=03482297000

#12283 - 01/01/04 07:19 PM Re: New SPL Meter ??????
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
Gonk,
I just read that whole debate and I can't believe the hot tempers on here sometime I would think considering how much most of us spend on our gear that spending 40 to 50 bucks to make even the slightest improvement would be a no brainer. I've seen plenty of people spend more than that on 1 cable......lol. Why not at least give it a try?

Soundhound,
I like alot of bass to my music and was not planing on using my meter for the sub anyway. I was just wanting to get my front 3 and back 2 even. The dvd I've used to set up my system before is called Ultamate DVD Platnum. I bought it several years ago when I was first getting into HT. Does anyone know if this is a good setup disk to use?

Thanks Again
Lasher

#12284 - 01/01/04 08:40 PM Re: New SPL Meter ??????
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 73Bruin:
Its my understanding that the analog Radio Shack SPL meter is not very accurate at low frequency's. I recall that the SVS site used to have something about how to check bass response using these meters.

You understand correctly -- and SVS does indeed have a compensation chart .

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#12285 - 01/01/04 09:37 PM Re: New SPL Meter ??????
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Lasher:

Soundhound,
I like alot of bass to my music and was not planing on using my meter for the sub anyway. I was just wanting to get my front 3 and back 2 even. The dvd I've used to set up my system before is called Ultamate DVD Platnum. I bought it several years ago when I was first getting into HT. Does anyone know if this is a good setup disk to use?

Thanks Again
Lasher

Frankly, I would just ignore the subwoofer calibration (which is questionable at best at such low frequencies, in real rooms) and adjust the level to taste. Since the LFE is "synthesized" anyway in motion picture soundtracks, there is no "standard" other than what what sounds best to you.

I sit on the dubbing stage during the mixdown of many films, and what is "standard" during mixdown is probably too mild for what you would want in your home. Just adjust it for what makes you happy.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 01, 2004).]

#12286 - 01/02/04 02:49 PM Re: New SPL Meter ??????
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Laher, I hope you enjoy your new Christmas gift. I occasionally use my meter just to make sure everything is still calibrated "properly." Originally I set my speaker levels by ear and found I was only off by about 1db per channel but that was enough for me to justify the cost of the meter. I have already played the game of test dvd tones VS 950 generated test tones and finally settled with the 950's tones. Gave up on using the meter to set the sub, even using SVS' chart. Just set the sub to your taste. Have fun with your system.

#12287 - 01/02/04 08:22 PM Re: New SPL Meter ??????
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 161 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts