Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12145 - 11/21/03 02:54 AM Subs - downward vs. forward firing?
Arizona Mike Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
What are the differences of a downward firing sub as opposed to a "forward" firing. Say for example SVS's PB1-ISD vs. Pinnacle's Baby Boomer? I am looking at placing the sub in the corner of the room between & behind the seating area. I'm getting mixed reviews and info on these two types of subs based on my placement choice. Some people are telling me that since LFE is non-directional then the "forward" firing style sub is the way I need to go because the downward firing sub will end up boomy in a corner. Others are telling me just the opposite.

Mike

#12146 - 11/21/03 02:10 PM Re: Subs - downward vs. forward firing?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

What about forward firing driver with downward firing port?

I've seen, heard, designed and built, owned, and own all types of subs and have never been able to distinguish between them based on driver or port location.

Jeff Mackwood

#12147 - 11/21/03 08:31 PM Re: Subs - downward vs. forward firing?
Embries Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nashville, TN
I think your biggest concern is the crossover frequency. If it's higher, then you'll be able to localize the sound and therefore the downfiring might be better (assuming all else is the same). Other than that, I don't see much of a difference.

Having said that, who came up with this idea that bass under 50hz is not able to be localized by the human ear? I tell you decidedly I can localize the sound. Using test tones below 50hz I most decidedly am able to localize the sub. The 'optimum' placement for the sub in my room is behind and to the right of my listening location. But I can't stand it there. I can hear the sound behind me, and I don't like it at all. My subwoofer is crossed over at 40hz and is really there just because I like bass. But I swear I can tell exactly where it is at all times.

#12148 - 11/22/03 03:02 PM Re: Subs - downward vs. forward firing?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Embries, I use to have the exact same opinion, and I still do with most subs I've heard. I now own an SVS sub and have it crossed over at 80, and I no longer can localize it. I'm not sure if its the design or the combo of design and location. But when I hooked up my old sub and kept the crossover the same I could localize it again. Arizona Mike, don't know what to tell you since I have owned both, except what I just posted. Keep in mind that the SVS is not a small sub and cannot be hid easily. However, the SVS is designed for the corner of the room and is not boomy.

#12149 - 11/22/03 11:29 PM Re: Subs - downward vs. forward firing?
Embries Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nashville, TN
Today was slow at work, so I went on a little 'testing excursion' I took several subs we had on display into one of our sound rooms, and played the 'detectable/indetectable' game. I've come to the conclusion that the downfiring is better for stealth than the front/side/any other combo. Mind you, this conclusion is not based on any scientific findings, and as always I could be full of hogwash. I find, however, that the downfiring configurations tend to disperse the sound more evenly over the soundfield, which apparently is the key. I assume Wednesday this week will be slow at work again (since everyone knows to wait 'till the day after Thanksgiving to go shopping) so I think Wednesday I'll take some of the front firing woofers that were particularly poor in location performance, and attempt to put them on their side to proove my theory. Perhaps I'll get better performance, and that will be enough for me.

#12150 - 11/23/03 12:47 AM Re: Subs - downward vs. forward firing?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
Just to put in my 2 cents, IMHO I think the best way to stop the localization effect is to run 2 or more subs. Under almost any room layout 2 subs just makes a vast improvement. With a 2 sub setup front or bottom firing should not make a difference.

Hope this helps

Lasher

#12151 - 11/23/03 01:16 PM Re: Subs - downward vs. forward firing?
stabie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX US
Could you be localizing based on the distortion components? Alot of theses subs have 5% distortion, which would generate some harmonics that could be localized. Here I could see a downward firing sub might help as the higher frequencies would be more likely to be absorbed/scattered.

#12152 - 11/23/03 01:37 PM Re: Subs - downward vs. forward firing?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
A thought: a corner has three surfaces, one of which is the floor. A floor-firing sub will (almost) always face a surface. A side-firing sub may be 'aimed' at a surface or away from the surfaces, if you find that such aiming makes a difference in your situation. Does that make a side-firing sub more flexible in its application?

Also, I'm in agreement that if your budget can handle it, two subs are an advantage.

#12153 - 12/02/03 04:51 PM Re: Subs - downward vs. forward firing?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i would disagree that two subs are better, one that is 2x as much is going to be better than two for the same price. low frequency sounds are not able to be pinpointed direction wise (assuming correct setup). i have one great sub and i cant tell where it is, when i turn it up i can tell a difference where it is only because of the heavier vibrations on things beside it compared to less across the room. if i had my way (which i dont) id get rid of all the other crap we have in the room anyway :-).

#12154 - 12/02/03 08:46 PM Re: Subs - downward vs. forward firing?
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts