Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#11822 - 08/25/03 11:36 AM HDTV shopping question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Okay, gunslingers, I've got a question from a co-worker here. His 10-year-old Sony XBR TV was a victim of our big storm last month (although it took two or three trips to the shop to verify that it was down for the count), and he's looking for a replacement. On the one hand, he can pick up a comparable 27" standard-def TV with the insurance money and be out nothing. On the other hand, he can step up to an HD set. Plasma caught his eye earlier this year, but he eventually concluded that it was too expensive to mess with (especially for one that'll do HD resolution). He's not interested in going to a rear-projection set. At the moment, he has narrowed it down to a 32" or 34" direct-view HD set (which he's currently estimating will set him back around $1900 and may not include an HD OTA tuner) or a 27" standard TV for under $500. Either way, he'll also be picking up a DVD player.

His question is whether to stay with standard set for now and get a direct view or plasma HD set in a few years, or go ahead and get a direct view HD set now? Since I'm still sort of locked into waiting for a couple more years due to space limitations, I am not as up to date on the TV market. (For what it's worth, according to this map , the major local stations have all started broadcasting in HD now.) What do you all think? Take the plunge into HD now with a direct view set, or grab a standard set for now and wait for a few more years to see what happens to prices and alternatives?

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#11823 - 08/25/03 01:30 PM Re: HDTV shopping question
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
Well, I'll give you my thoughts, since I just went through the same thing. First, I'll cut to the chase. I bought a Sony KV32HS510. That's a 32" 4:3 HDTV set with the flat Wega picture tube. I love it. I paid $1234.00 at Sears, and got a Sony DLP-300 combo DVD/VCR for < $100 after rebate and pricematch with B&H Photo. No, it does not have a HDTV tuner.

Anyway, I went with the HDTV primarily for viewing DVDs at better resolution than possible with a standard set. I bought a progressive scan DVD player at the same time (they start around $60 now) to mate with the TV.

I went with 4:3 because I only had room for either a 30" 16:9 or a 32" 4:3 (the 16:9 image is physically the same size in both sets, within about 1/2"). Since I watch a lot of cable and play a lot of Playstation, the 4:3 was a better choice for me.

The choice of the Sony was because the Wega tube has the bonus of being able to display a widescreen image in full resolution. So regardless of whether I'm watching in 4:3 mode or 16:9 mode, I still get my full 1080 lines interlaced, or 480 progressive scan.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions about my decision If you couldn't tell, I'm tickled pink with the Sony.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#11824 - 08/25/03 04:28 PM Re: HDTV shopping question
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
I can't and won't recommend anything other then Pioneer/Pioneer Elite for tv's..

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#11825 - 08/25/03 06:56 PM Re: HDTV shopping question
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Nostalgia:

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions about my decision If you couldn't tell, I'm tickled pink with the Sony.

-Joe

I have a question about Sony tvs. Do all of them turn on with a startling 'whump'?
I have a regular 27" Sony Trinitron that replaced a decent Magnavox blown out by a power surge two years ago (other people in the area were throwing burning microwaves out their doors!). My parents' Sony makes the same noise.
Does anyone have an idea about the reason for the noise and if it can be prevented or reduced?

#11826 - 08/25/03 07:27 PM Re: HDTV shopping question
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS
I have personally loved the image on the Samsung DLP Televisions. They have an image very close to the Plasma, with a much reduced price tag.

#11827 - 08/25/03 08:34 PM Re: HDTV shopping question
Garrett Adams Offline
Gunslinger

I have a two year old Sony KD-34XBR2 (a direct-view HDTV). It was a tad under $4k back then. Since then Sony now offers an HT-ready version (without a built-in HD tuner) for a lot less money. I think it's in the $2,000-$2,500 range. Has a gorgeous HD picture.

#11828 - 08/25/03 10:39 PM Re: HDTV shopping question
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
Quote:
Originally posted by CBWills:
Do all of them turn on with a startling 'whump'?

I won't go as far as to call it startling, but there is definately a noise when it comes on. Almost a 'boing' noise. Hard to describe. I wonder if I can record it? Either way, it doesn't disturb me in any way, and I'm pretty anal-retentive about such things.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#11829 - 08/26/03 01:39 AM Re: HDTV shopping question
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hueytown, Al. 35023
Got to 2nd the Samsung DLP TVs. I like those everywhere I have seen them, and you know you cna get it home and make a great improvement setting it up. I even saw one hooked up at a salvage building and they had plugged it in and it had been through god knows what and it still looked good. They also had a Zenith using the DLP sitting right by the Samsung and it was not bad.

Now my favorites prior to this was the Pioneer Elite models and I am fond of my Sony Rear Projection XBR model.

#11830 - 08/26/03 10:33 AM Re: HDTV shopping question
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
I am happy with my Samsung DLP. Although Time Warner is slow rolling out HDTV channels I was having a great time watching CSI-Miami in HDTV Widescreen last night till my power went out (again...what's up with electricity in Memphis by the way??). A DLP bonus, when I wanted to relocate my 42" from upstairs to downstairs I just picked it up and carried it - it just isn't that heavy. I would also add - if he has cable don't worry about the tuner - he won't need it - my 42" was less than 3K delivered and that was months ago. I am still on the fence about recommending widescreen vs. 4:3. Lots of stuff I watch end up in normal mode with black bands down the sides - and the first week it drove me crazy but now I don't even notice it, but wouldn't be surprised to meet people that never got used to it. Just my 2 cents...

#11831 - 08/26/03 11:02 AM Re: HDTV shopping question
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

The thumping sound on Sony tv's is a de-gaussing mechanism.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM