Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#11148 - 02/25/03 02:30 AM Logic 7
opieie Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tulsa, OK.
Hello, does anyone her know if the Logic 7 that HK uses is the same as the Logic 7 used in the Lexicon products.

#11149 - 02/25/03 07:13 AM Re: Logic 7
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
The short answer is that yes, it is. HK is the parent company of Lexicon.

However, the long answer is that it might not be the same version of Logic 7 that a given Lexicon piece might have. Also, keep in mind that very few of the H/K pieces have amplification for all 7 channels, and in fact, not all of the H/K pieces even support 7 channel Logic 7.

In other words, if you're considering buying an H/K piece (and I recommend them) investigate the given piece thoroughly before purchasing.

BTW, an excellent resource to check out is the SMR Forums (http://forums.smr-forums.com:8080/) where Lexicon has representives posting there daily.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

#11150 - 02/25/03 07:14 AM Re: Logic 7
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It is related to the Logic 7 used on Lexicon's processors, but I believe it is a "scaled down" version (at least it was on the first H/K receivers that had it) -- rather than producing a discrete 7.1 mix it produced a 5.1 mix from stereo sources. I don't know if that is still true on their newest units or not; I think they may have started supporting 7.1 output from Logic 7 on newer units. It's been discussed at length on several occasions at Home Theater Forum, but I never kept real close tabs on it.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#11151 - 02/25/03 07:25 AM Re: Logic 7
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
It is related to the Logic 7 used on Lexicon's processors, but I believe it is a "scaled down" version (at least it was on the first H/K receivers that had it) -- rather than producing a discrete 7.1 mix it produced a 5.1 mix from stereo sources. I don't know if that is still true on their newest units or not; I think they may have started supporting 7.1 output from Logic 7 on newer units. It's been discussed at length on several occasions at Home Theater Forum, but I never kept real close tabs on it.

No, there are definitely some 7 channel versions of Logic 7 available in HK receivers. But not all HK receivers have 7 channels, and of those that do, not all have amplification for all 7 channels.

For those receivers with 7 channels but only 5 channels of amplification, obviously an external 2-channel amp would be required.

Jeff

#11152 - 02/25/03 08:41 AM Re: Logic 7
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Thanks D'Arbignal -- I thought that I'd heard that H/K had started using a 7.1-capable version of Logic 7 with some of their gear in the last year or so, but wasn't real sure and couldn't turn up anything definitive in a quick web search.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#11153 - 02/25/03 09:06 AM Re: Logic 7
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Thanks D'Arbignal -- I thought that I'd heard that H/K had started using a 7.1-capable version of Logic 7 with some of their gear in the last year or so, but wasn't real sure and couldn't turn up anything definitive in a quick web search.

Yeah, the AVR8000 that I saw at CES last year was, I believe, the first to offer a full 7 channels of sound.

It bears mentioning that Logic 7 is a true 7 channels of sound, and hence is correctly referred to as 7.1 sound, whereas Dolby Digital EX is not, since the rear channels are not discrete, but are only matrixed into the sides.

Jeff

#11154 - 02/25/03 12:48 PM Re: Logic 7
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by D'Arbignal:

It bears mentioning that Logic 7 is a true 7 channels of sound, and hence is correctly referred to as 7.1 sound, whereas Dolby Digital EX is not, since the rear channels are not discrete, but are only matrixed into the sides.

Jeff

Movies are mixed with a maximum of 6.1 channels, as the rear surround track is mono. There may be post procesing in the pre/pro to increase the virtual number of channels beyond 6.1, but the soundtrack starts out at a maximum of 6.1

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#11155 - 02/25/03 03:44 PM Re: Logic 7
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Movies are mixed with a maximum of 6.1 channels, as the rear surround track is mono. There may be post procesing in the pre/pro to increase the virtual number of channels beyond 6.1, but the soundtrack starts out at a maximum of 6.1

Soundhound,

Not even. 6.1 means 6 discrete channels with one non-full-range channel. This is not what Dolby Digital EX has; Dolby Digital EX has 5 discrete channels into two of which is matrix-encoded a 6th channel which, as you pointed out, is mono, and the one LFE channel.

I forget the correct nomenclature for designating what DD EX actually is, but it's not as exciting to the shopping public as "6.1" and "7.1", hence the reason manufacturers have disregarded the correct naming convention and instead are using the misleading one you indicated.

Jeff

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts